CRF vs RMZ

I had the chance to ride a 05 crf 450 and rmz 450 this morning at track called Watkins in Colorado. Both bikes where stock except for the CRF had a procircuit slip on exhaust. The rmz was basically new. The suspensions was stock except for some clicker changes to the CRF. Both bikes where very good but I have to give the nod to CRF and here are my reasons.

1)Both engines are impressive but the CRF has more throttle response, turns over quicker and has more top end. I like the RMZ's midrange but turns over much slower. It still packs a wallop but the CRF is still the engine to beat.

Edge:CRF

2)I personally don't like engine braking. I still like 2-strokes for this reason. I know some people love engine braking but I don't. The new breed of 4-strokes have a lot less than the YZ426, but still is not on par to a 250 2-stroke. The CRF has less engine breaking the RMZ.

3) The RMZ turns like no other bike. The bike turns even better some 2-strokes and that is with the stock tire on it. (I personally like 756's) The CRF turns we'll but not as good as the RMZ. I still can't believe how good it turns.

Edge:RMZ

4) Both bikes fly well and feel balanced in the air. I liked the way both jumped. I felt a little more comfortable jumping on the crf at first but maybe that is because I ride a honda.

Edge:Even

5) The suspension on both these bikes is quality, but I absolutely love the CRF. I can't believe suspension can feel like that stock. The RMZ forks felt very harsh and stiff. I weigh only 155lbs and granted the RMZ is still new and needs to break in, but the CRF blows away the RMZ in this category.

6)The intangibles for these bike is parts. Honda OEM parts are quality and alot cheaper than Suzuki's. If you do blow up either of these bikes right now I feel real sorry for the RMZ owner. Both bikes feel solid though and are set up with quality parts.

Edge:Even unless you drop a valve in a Suzuki.

Suzuki put out a great bike for a first year effort and I know next year the bike will be even better, but the CRF is one sweet bike. If I could make the CRF turn like the RMZ it would be the best ever built. You can't go wrong with either bike, but if i was to lay down $6000 tomorrow I would go with the CRF.

Erik

You thought the RMZ was tamer than the CRF? I rode them back to back and felt the opposite. The CRF has a crisp throttle response but didnt feel like it pulled as hard as the RMZ. As for the turning, I completly agree. I couldnt believe how well it turned, especially with the stock tires and the rear being a 120.

I rode an RMZ with a full yosh exhaust and then a completely stock 05CRF and the RMZ felt like a 400. The CRF feels much more powerful to me. The RMZ does turn on a dime, but its almost to quick, the bike is very sensitive to bar movement. That took some getting used to.

Just remember. The CRF450 has been out for awhile. Its been tweaked and upgraded from it's inception. That's why it's where it is today. The RMZ on the other hand is a new addition to the class. If you like the way the rmz handles then thats a plus. You may have to spend a few bucks on different offset triple clamps to achieve that kind of response from the CRF. BUT the other side is I am SURE that as I type this folks are tweeking the RMZ to give it a better hit. and tech tips and mods follow. It wont be long in the engine dept for the RMZ to get up to speed. May only amount to minor jetting and timing adjustments, who knows? But more times than not the better handling bike wins as your pace is steadier. and if it handles that well, even if the hit isn't there you can keep the throttle open longer as you approach the turns :naughty::naughty:

I've had the chance to make the same comparison (both bikes were 05 stock models) last saturday on a french track with a lot of grip.

My opinion is:

The RMZ pulls harder low and mid but has a lack of top end. After 15 years of 2 strokes, I prefer RMZ450...... it feels like you don't have to shift anymore....

The honda's fork is better, but the RMZ shock is near perfect with stock settings....

The RMZ turns better, everybody has noticed that......

The handle bar fits perfectly to me.....

The sound of the Suz is wonderful (for the driver, not the crowd!!!)...

A lot more engine braking for the suz.....

I choose RMZ......and hope the reliability will be good........

I've had the chance to make the same comparison (both bikes were 05 stock models) last saturday on a french track with a lot of grip.

My opinion is:

The RMZ pulls harder low and mid but has a lack of top end. After 15 years of 2 strokes, I prefer RMZ450...... it feels like you don't have to shift anymore....

The honda's fork is better, but the RMZ shock is near perfect with stock settings....

The RMZ turns better, everybody has noticed that......

The handle bar fits perfectly to me.....

The sound of the Suz is wonderful (for the driver, not the crowd!!!)...

A lot more engine braking for the suz.....

I choose RMZ......and hope the reliability will be good........

I rode the 05 rmz50 back to back with my 05 crf 450. the rmz is a nice bike. but, I would, without hesitation pick even my 04 crf. The suspension on the RMZ beat my arms into submission and I felt like I was waiting for the power to hit. almost like the airbox had a restrictor. maybe the suspension comes ridiculously stiff from Suzuki for the "fat-so, old man" demographic. My friend that owns the RMZ is a 180 pound expert. Last weekend after our first race he said "this bike is beating the sh_t out me. I was more comfortable on my RM 250."

Without even considering the motor, the CRF wins my vote. I have a hard enough time hanging on to a 450 for 20 minutes without suspension harshness. The RMZ needs a fork revalve right out of the box and removing the wet rag from the airbox couldnt hurt.

To be fair, my CRF does have factory connection suspension w/ti spring. but in reality the CRF was super plush stock.

Now to be fair and honest in this comparasion the RMZ was basically new and the sag was not set up for me. It was stock. Nothing was even touched on the bike, while the CRF's sag was set for a 155lb rider.(I'm 155lbs) So that can make a big difference in the way the bike feels. Offday's post hit the nail on the head. The CRF has had 4 years of refinements, the RMZ none. The bike will get better every year. The CRF just has a 4 year head start.

Erik

This spring we have been in SoCal for a vacation with two rented bikes and a camper.

So i had the oportunity to compare a stock RMZ and a CRF, both 05.

First i have to say both are very very good bikes which don´t feel very different when riding.

I am used to big european fourstrokes so i liked the Suzuki more because it has more torque at the bottom. When you go up steep hills you don´t have to downshift so often than the Honda. I didn´t miss the 5th gear (OK may be in the desert ).

The Honda forks absolutely sucked!!!! I got armpump after a short time of riding.I think there was something wrong as the guy who gave us the bikes told me the forks have been done the day before. May be they made a mistake with oil level or so.So i wouldn´t blame the bike for that. I can´t imagine that Honda has such bad forks.

Neutral is difficult to find on the Suzuki and it has no hot start button at the bars.

At the end of that vacation i entered a VEtX race at Glen Helen. It was no question for me to take the Suzuki because it suited me more.

If you know Glen Helen there is a long starting straight. I (and most of the other RMZ riders) where blown there from the Hondas so i think the Honda has definitely more Power .

Twinshocker

A pipe (Big Gun) made my RMZ feel faster than the 05 CRF I rode. The Honda felt a little plusher and more refined maybe. I couldnt get comfortable trusting the front end on the Honda. Now that I have the suspension working good for me (comp/rebound) I think the suspension is a toss up.

I went a few laps for kicks in 3rd today without stalling (OK once but I was on the brake to hard without the clutch...), and powering out of some corners when I was expecting to just thump----thump--thump out. I like not having to shift.

The torque-centric motor combined with the handling of a slot car makes me pick the RMZ. Good thing, cause Ive had it for a while already. Ive always been a Suzuki fan though... The RMZ is a great choice.

I'm sorry crfdude86 the 03-04 yzf is not in the same class as these (2) bikes. (Ihavn't rode the 05) I rode a 03 and the thing was very fast, but it was a boat anchor compared to these two bikes. It was a hard bike for a light guy to ride. It just beat ya up.

Erik

I've ridden the 05 crf...its a fantastic bike, but damn I love my rmz. I am a novice/intermediate so all the hair splitting with the two bikes goes mostly unnoticed with me. The outstanding quality with the suzuki was how stable and comfortable it made me feel. The power delivery, the ergos {after I moved the bars forward... 6ft 2 250lbs} and the cornering all make me better than I really am.

I found the suspension harsh on the RMZ too. However I race harescrambles and I like it plush. One trip to Pro Action had that reeled in. :naughty:

On the other hand, my buddy races more motocross and he loved it. He thought I was nuts for sending it out.

Now as far as the engine goes......I want to race. Not work on my bike.

I took a chance going for the first year new model Suzuki.

And it paid off. :D

Its Bullet Proof. :naughty: