Sign in to follow this  

yz250fn questions

Well, I just inherited a this bike from my little sisiter who passed away last week. At 28 i think i'm past trying to jump bikes, and have decided to try to dual sport it. I think it will be good to have this bike around to remember my little sis. So, I don't really know anything about the bike. Ridden it a couple times last summer, had a hell of a time starting it! What can you guy's tell me? I read something about swapping the cam. Dual sporting? ANY help would be great! thanks so much. dave

sorry to hear about your sister. You can swap the cam if it is a 2001 or 2002 model to a 2003 model decompression cam, which will make it start easily. The valves may also be out of whack.

Please provide details on model year and estimated mileage/useage. Also provide more details about how and when the bike it hard to start. I presume you know that you shouldn't blip the throttle like a 2 stroke when starting?

My sincere condolences.

Check the plug also...I had trouble starting a few months ago,and it was a corroded/rusted spark-plug from water getting in the weep hole.Changed it and that was that.(now I put a small piece of tape over the hole when I clean)

dave,

a lot of what you need to know about the bike is found in the 250F FAQ, at

http://www.thumperfaq.com/sitemap.htm

as for dual-sporting it, the yzf is a little bit of work. depending on the laws of your state it could be real easy or real difficult. run a search on "stator" to get started.

ps: your YZ250F"N" is a 2001 model. my brother has the very same bike.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

Sorry about your sister. She obviously had a flair for life, and it's a shame you couldn't have inherited her bike when she bought her new one instead.

First, as they said, Thumper FAQ is loaded with good stuff.

You can't ask any questions there, but you can always stop in here.

You need to learn the starting drill. Check out Doug Dubach's Video on the subject.

You can install the cam from an '03-'05, which makes starting gloriously simple by taking care of decompression automatically.

On dual-sporting, I am not the expert. I'm fairly sure there are multiple approaches you could take to add lights, and a lot depends on your state laws. Check out ThumperFAQ, and I'm also sure someone more qualified will respond on the subject shortly.

And welcome to TT. :naughty:

Thanks everybody! The bike has had a good bit of time on it, but has been maintained by a Yamaha dealer. She could always get the bike to start, I guess i'm missing the trick? Simply could not start it today. Its been sitting for about 2 weeks. Everything looks to be OK. plug looks good. Thanks again. dave

You will learn the drill. I have a 01 also and after getting it jetted right I can start in in 1-3 kicks. As for being to old to jump the bike... my dad just got into the sport at 45 and hes starting to do small jumps now. Im trying to convince him he can hit tabletops a little bit harder, but he is just taking it easy untill hes comfortable on the bike (he got himself a 450f... he couldnt let his son have a faster bike now could he?)

well. i've read through the faq stuff. It seems I need to get a flywheel and stator from a wr. Should I be looking for one on e-bay, dealer, aftermarket? What about the actual lights? Looked at the bajadesigns stuff. What else? Man, this aint gonna be a cheap project! Thanks for all the help. I hope to take the bike out in the woods next weekend. Need to practice the starting technique. What about the easier starting cam. e-bay?

What about the easier starting cam.

US$119 incl shipping...

http://www.bardwellyamaha.com/locate.htm

ps

easier starting is just 1/2 the story. you get more power everywhere, and it makes the bike *much* harder to stall. win-win-win.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

At 28 i think i'm past trying to jump bikes, and have decided to try to dual sport it.

uhhmmmmmmm... dude! I'm like, 32 and stuff, and you are TOTALLY not too old to do ANYTHING! :naughty:

..having said that, don't start jumping because I say you're a young buck, do whatever sounds like fun and makes you happy. Isn't that why we ride in the first place?

have fun falling in love, I know I have with mine.

maybee too old is not the right reason. I think I am just tired of crashing things and getting jacked up. Picking up the bike this weekend.Guess I will change oil etc, what other routine maint should I do? Then I guess i'll start with the mods :naughty:

What about the flywheel/stator. Dealer, look used? Man, this is really helping me out on this stuff. can't wait to get on it. Turns out a bunch of my friends are riding 04 KTMexc's converted to dualsport.

stators -- http://www.electrexusa.com/

you need an L38, see

http://www.electrexusa.com/SHOPPING_IGNLTG/Prod_IgnLtg_Str_L38.html

and

http://www.electrexusa.com/Images/L38_INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

see also

http://www.electrexusa.com/electrex_conversion.html

and finally, scan the for sale section looking for a "parted out" WRF. you may be able to score a used WRF stator that way.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

as far as learning to jump I started at 36 im now 40 and am doing 60 foot jumps all the time and sometimes up to 80 foot you can do it if you wish to .

Simply pull the choke out when it is cold, slowly bring the piston top dead center via kickstarter, push it down half an inch and then kick all the way through. Try this a couple of times. Once started push choke in and rev to about 2000 rpms for a couple of min.

Again, thanks everybody. I don';t want to really Dual sport it so much as make it legal to ride on the street. In the most minimal sense. More like an enduro set up with a tag. My friends are riding 04 Ktm's with tags so it'd be nice to be able to go on the street portion of the rides. I'm going to pick it up today, and start work on it.