Sign in to follow this  

Fractured my tailbone on the 450 yesterday

I was out riding with my son yesterday and was following him a little to close. He went down right in front of me so I swerved to miss running him over and there was about a 2-3ft drop, no big deal blip the throttle to keep the front end up and the next thing I know I am leaning so far back in a wheelie I can't recover. The farther I lean back the more throttle I am giving. Next thing I know I am on my A** and my bike is doing the end over end thing. Went to the DR since I could hardly sit and I have a Fractured tailbone. They say there is nothing they can do for it. Anyone had this happen. From what I am hearing they are saying it will never be the same and it will always hurt to ride. Is this true? Anything I can do to speed up the recovery and prevent further injury? Anyone ride with the padded shorts? What brand?

Anyone had this happen. From what I am hearing they are saying it will never be the same and it will always hurt to ride. Is this true? Anything I can do to speed up the recovery and prevent further injury? Anyone ride with the padded shorts? What brand?

My wife broke hers in the 9th grade. Her comment: "Be grateful that you don't menstruate or give birth." I'll accept her opinion.

Anyway, that occurred...... shall we say, several years ago, and she still has troubles with it. Not particularly with sitting unless she's in an uncomfortable position. Her sport is shopping (actually buying) so she's not really affected by it (unfortunately :naughty: ).

I wear 661 Bomber shorts. They have lots of padding in all around along with a tail bone protector. Never had to depend on them yet, but it's good to know they're there. Check'em out.

I have some Fox shorts with hip and tailbone pads. For your situation I think you would want to add extra padding to the trailbone pad. I've used closed cell foam from a sleeping bag ground pad to put extra padding in my chest protector and add a tailbone pad to another pair of riding pants I have. Army surplus pads are so cheap you can do lots of expirments to come up with something that works and is still comfortable. I've got 2 layers (3/4" total) in my chest protector ( I hate bruised ribs) and it doesn't bother me a bit except when its super hot out. Hint: 3M spray weatherstrip adhesive works great to glue peices together or glue velcro on.

I basically had a similar accident, looped out, landed on my butt, and broke my tailbone. I also was told it would hurt forever, but after about three months of pain, I started riding again, and within a year of the crash, I never knew it happened. There is not much to speed recovery, except sitting on a foam pillow, or donut, and time. Sorry to hear about it, but it probably won't be as bad as the docs usually think. They tend to give more of the worst case senario when it comes to injuries (at least to me).

Do you know what a Rhino is? Well if you do, last year in wood shop my friend came up behind me and gave me the worst one ever. I almost crapped myself. He nailed me right in the tail bone. I went to the doctor and they said its probably fractured, and theres nothing they could do at the hospital if i went anyway. It got a little better since then, but whenever i fall on it or hit it, its hurts like a mother effer. It hurts to the touch too.

My Dad fractured his tail tail bone when he was a kid. He fell out of a tree and landed arse first on a fence post. :naughty: His injury continued to bother him and they eventually removed his tail bone. He hasn't had a problem with it since. Not to scare you or anything.

Thanks for the PM on the flywheel!!! Sucks to hear about the injury, I've heard that one's a PITA!!!

Ouch. sorry to hear about your fall. I have no help to offer,but get well soon.