Tires?

Hey guys i know there is about 1000 topics about tires..but i am really close to buying a set and want a set that will last...I had a pair or D752's on my 125 and they wore fast, so my question is do the Dunlop D756RR's wear out fast riding on mixxed terrain...i mostly ride soft...harescrambles/gncc's..so would the D756RR's last me a good while and do they hook up good in soft terrain???

the sets im looking at are (front/back)

Dunlop D756RR

Dunlop D773

Maxxis Sur Cross/ Maxxis SI

Michelin S-12/ Michelin M-12

Michelin S-12/ Michelin S-12

So what set would you guys say would be the best for what i am looking for?

Thanks

kyle

Im running S-12/M-12 right now and my bike rails in turns. I absolutely love the traction, they stick where none of my friends bikes will. I honestly havent had them long enough to say much about wear, and I have never tried the dunlop's (they will be my next set of tires). Hope this helps a bit...

get a maxxis IT if you want long lasting tyre

Ok im either going with the

Michelin S-12 F&R

Michelin S-12 R M-12 F

Maxxis SI F&R

Pirelli MT44 F&R

What is your guys pic...for durability in woods and hooking up good?

Anyone tried the MT44?

I like 756's for any terrain. I think it is the perfect tire and not too expensive.

756's wear like butter, paper, whatever they just don't last.

The michelines are you best bet, the s12 front and rear for softpack and inter. The Starcross is also a great tire. They wear really good too. For about the same penny as the Dunlops, you get the better bang for the buck and much better grip.

M12/S12 All Day Long!!!

anyone tried the MT410?

I've noticed that most of the guys running the 12 series Michelins are running M12 front and S12 rear. Is there a reason why you guys aren't running the S12 on the front?

The S12 is great in really soft terain but skids around more than the M12 on harder surfaces. The M12 seems better at mutiple terain types and not so specialized as the s12. Both are good.

MT450 is nice. Wears slow grips good. Keeps a sharp edge for a long time unless you go hard on the throttle on pavement.

Okay... I see the guy from AZ recommending the 756.

I was quite surprised at how quickly I swapped ends when I hit mud.. not deep mud, but the thin layer of snot sitting on top of clay.

I'm really inclined to go S12/M12, but I'm a little worried about cutting the S12 on rocks.

In any one ride, I will encounter sand, loam, rocks, hardpack fire roads, 2 miles of asphalt, and the occasional muddy plain.

I used an M12 down in WV last spring. Wore through it in 2 days on the rocks down there. I mean it's pure rock. Every knob was rounded badly and worn significantly shorter.

I put an s12 on last summer and surprisingly it's still good, but that's up here in MI in sand. No rock in sight. No pavement yet either. When I do hit the asphalt, it's gonna wear fast.

I put a 773 rear and 742 front on my 250F and couldn't be happier. Sticks like glue in sand to intermediate terrain. Dial a wheelie. The 742 is front only and is between a 773 and 756. I like it. Some mxers say it pushes, depending on the bike. Mine sticks and carves for me.

The s12 front is super soft, and can get a pinch flat easy. I would go with the m12 front, they last long and grip real good in off road. I personally don't like the m12 rear, can't get it to hook up like the S12 rear, however it will last much longer in the terrain you are talking about and some guys like them. The dunlop 756rr is much softer and will wear faster than the regular 756. I just bought a Kenda Millville rear, because they are cheap to purchase and I hear they do real well. Unless you are in mud/sand all the time I would not use the Dunlop 773 rear, it won't hook up in other terrain, the knobs are too tall. I have been real happy with the Dunlop 742 front, seems to do almost everything pretty well and is stiffer than the M12 front for riding in rocks.

My 2 cents....

What size rear tire are you running?

Some are running 100's and others are running the 110 on the rear and that the S12 size is about halfway between the above sizes. Maybe that's why it is so popular for the YZ250f? I currently have an S12 on the rear and it seems pretty darn good, but it's time for a new tire. I ride on soft trails with solid granite obstacles Thrown in...

Thanks,

RH

the Pirelli MT410 is the sand/mud tire (it looks like a cut up paddle tire). great for MX and if you put a premium on performance. but go soemwhere like southwick on a race weekend and count the number of them on the line. most of them will be the 410.

the MT44 front is a good woods tire and for softer terrain. the rear is a big lug soft sand/mud tire that is more durable than the MT410. heavier.

I run basicly a DOT version of the S12 on my DRZ (which is for sale by the way) And the front tire is also close to an S12 and DOT as well. I ride in a ton of sand (got to love Michigan) and I do see other loose soil conditions. I will actually be picking up my WR on Friday :naughty: and I have a set of S12 for it already. I have friends that swear by the 756's but in all honesty they were not that great on the DRZ (granted apples and oranges) but I am very happy with the tires on it right now and figure that the S12 should work for me good for my conditions. But i suggest to get feed back from others in your area. Heck see what you local Cycle shop has to say about tires. If you can find a good shop that know their stuff this information can be pricelss, or at least save you some $$$.

Tires that last the longest are hard-terrain tires.

Okay... I see the guy from AZ recommending the 756.

I was quite surprised at how quickly I swapped ends when I hit mud.. not deep mud, but the thin layer of snot sitting on top of clay.

I'm really inclined to go S12/M12, but I'm a little worried about cutting the S12 on rocks.

In any one ride, I will encounter sand, loam, rocks, hardpack fire roads, 2 miles of asphalt, and the occasional muddy plain.

Sounds like your riding conditions are identical to mine and I have been running S12's front and rear for the last couple of years exclusively. Stay away from the 120/90-18 rear and go with the 130/80-18 which = the 110/100-18. It has much larger knobs and wears much better than the smaller tire. I don't think you will be disappointed. Halfnutz and a few others had me convinced to try the M12 front but again, I've had such good luck with the S12 front I'm hesitant to change.