Sign in to follow this  

TTR600 what do you know?

Do you know if that bike will ever come over here? (america) and if so when?

Point your browser to:

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.uk/products/motorcycles/adventure/tt600re.jsp

I have a 2004. It's a great dual sport that fits my needs - commute during the week and in the dirt on the weekends. It's no race bike but for those of us who appreciate a strong, reliable low maintenance ride it's hard to fault. /Alex

Is it comparible to like a XR as far as trail riding with the exception that it is a Yamaha of course or is more like a traditional dual sport bike?

"Do you know if that bike will ever come over here? (america) and if so when?"

Can't say for sure but probably unlikely. It's been around in Europe/Asia/Aus for several years. Yamaha have recently released the XT660 here in dual sport and Supermoto form, so alongside the WR range they've got it all covered.

"Is it comparible to like a XR as far as trail riding with the exception that it is a Yamaha of course or is more like a traditional dual sport bike?"

It's sold as an Enduro bike so is more like an XR than say a KLR. It's pretty good in the dirt ! /Al

I've had my TT600R since 2002 (out of the crate) & have done 7000 kms on it now, with only about 500 kms on road. I use it for hard out trail riding and adventure rides. The only time it sees black top is on transit stages when adventure riding (see the Britton Adventures website for details of our magic adventure riding here in New Zealand). The bike is heavy in bogs, and not one to do massive jumps, but it is strong and has heaps of torque which I need for my level of skill on the steep stuff. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone less than 6 foot tall and 90 kgs. It's cost a fair bit in maintenance, mainly due to wear and tear on the swing arm linkages, fork seal replacements, and crash repairs!! But I wouldn't be without it.

in a nutshell jazz, ive had the seals blow out twice in 6000ks but like you said, it isnt a light bike built for a weedy bloke. I'm 90 kg and yep the torque is abundant. have you put an aftermarket pipe on or other mods?

Look into seal savers. You may just be blowing them due to sand and dirt getting in them. I haven't blown a seal since installing them on my 426. Best upgrade you can make in my opinion.

Haven't seen the need to change the pipe and silencer - have more than enough power as it is and I don't need to excessively hear a dirt bike to enjoy it. Have fitted Renthall 'Jimmy Button' high bend bars, Ego barkbusters, Metzeler MC5s, slightly lower gearing at 46 tooth, a hotter plug, and a long carb breather tube up and under the tank so no more water issues. You should also secure the plastic instrument housing. As the bike ages the rubber straps on the fork heads holding the light and instruments seem to get more flexible and with the bumping around of the quite heavy speedo, light and bracket I have broken on two occasions the housing at its weakest point - where the lug is at the steering yoke. Have used a couple of long cable ties to tighten it all down on the bars and stop it bouncing and breaking. Have also bonded one of the rocker shafts to the engine housing as had noticed it rotating. This has been seen on other 600s too.

i have had the same problem with the speedo housing jazz. ive replaced three in 12 months after they have broken on the narrow part where it slips in the rubber lug.. this problem seems to date back years with the 600's. luckily yamaha have replaced them for free for me. in regard to the pipe jazz, fiting an aftermatket pipe like a staintune, is pretty quiet with the cork in it but gives it quite a bit more grunt all the through the range.

DON'T QUOTE ME ON THIS!!!! :D I'm led to believe that Yamaha had to stop selling the Jap made XT in Europe for emission and noise reasons. If the bikes were made in Europe they were able to circumnavigate EU law as they are built at the Belgarda plant in Italy, I.E. homegrown product. Then they bring out the 660 water cooled engine, so has the TT600R & derivatives been a stop-gap? It is an old design, albeit a good one (BSA,Norton etc!! :D ) traced back to the original :D XT500 afterall, and why have a competition spec TT and a WR side by side in the catalogue? Surely there is no comparison between the two unless one's meant for hauling old fat bastards round a muddy field and the other's meant for racing round it? I have a TT and guess which category I fall into? I fell off in the back garden! Perhaps there was a need for the tooling to be "cost effective" and they saw a niche in the market so carried on until the new stuff was developed. Any ideas?

Here is some pics of my new toy. TTR-600 2001 Model- Belgarda. I think I got it for a very good bargain. It has an after market staintune pipe fitted and pro taper bars. I have changed the front sprocket from a 14 to a 15 tooth, and the rear sprocket from a 44 to a 46 tooth, It made it up to a 520 O Ring Chain. It has definately increased take off and a little less top end, but with this much power who cares. The only fault I have found is that on a slightly windy day it seems to get the death wabbles at about 105km/h (in the front end,on the road). I have replaced the tyres. The problem is still there does anyone have any ideas of what it can be?

By the way great site, with plenty of info.

Cheers Col.

bikepicsttr600029.jpg

bikepicsttr600031.jpg

Hello all XT660 and Yamaha fans. I hope you'll join me in supporting a campaign to let Yamaha USA they should import the XT660 model to our country.

I'm a big XT660 supporter and hope if you are a fan as well, you'll send an email or phone call to Yamaha USA. (If you're not a supporter, please don't post-whore and start bashing). If you have something positive to contribute it's welcomed, specifically an email address!

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA

6555 Katella Avenue

Cypress, CA 90630

Sales, marketing and distribution of Motorcycles,

ATVs, Snowmobiles and Race Kart Engines.

Customer Relations

(800) 962-7926

01XT660R-ACTION-01-01.jpg