Sign in to follow this  

Motor Enquiry

Hey Guys,

Have a motor question for you.

Currently have a KLX400, which is a fantastic bike, but my questions are:

What would I gain by installing a 440 kit in this bike?

Would there be any real benefits in instaling this kit?

Would top speed be the same or increased?

Would reliability be affected?

The reason for these questions, I competed in a Natural Terrain event yesterday, did ride fairly well, got 6th overall for the day out of 30 riders in our group, could have possibly done better if the bike had more top end speed as KTM 450's enduro models just went passed me up hills.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hey Guys,

Have a motor question for you.

Currently have a KLX400, which is a fantastic bike, but my questions are:

What would I gain by installing a 440 kit in this bike?

Would there be any real benefits in instaling this kit?

Would top speed be the same or increased?

Would reliability be affected?

The reason for these questions, I competed in a Natural Terrain event yesterday, did ride fairly well, got 6th overall for the day out of 30 riders in our group, could have possibly done better if the bike had more top end speed as KTM 450's enduro models just went passed me up hills.

Any help would be appreciated.

Well, the DRZ/KLX400 is good in it's stock trim. It's probably the smoothest

4-stroke out there. Add a 440 kit and you'll have a motor that pulls so much

harder that you'll think it's a completely different bike. In fact, I felt that the

WR450 was a brute compared to my 400, but after the 440 kit, the WR450

feels the same as my bike and no longer has an advantage over my bike,

powerwise.

Doubtful that you'll see more top end, but the bike will get there faster.

Reliablility isn't really an issue so long as the kit is installed properly.

KTM450s got nothing on me on the hills. Now, the 6th gear...

Congratz on the 6th overall. :naughty:

I don't think you will find anyone having anything negative to say about the 440 kit. Top speed wont be increased as it is dependant on rev limit and gearing.

However when you are in 5th if you aren't hitting the rev limiter you aren't at top speed. And that should be very very fast. If you don't have the power to get to the rev limiter in 5th the 440 will surely help you get there.

Is it an R model (:naughty: ? or SR (A)?

Have you done any other performance mods to the bike? Cams? Exhaust? Carb? Motor?

Thank you for your response,

The bike is a KLX400R electric start Australian model.

It is currently running stock gearing, no engine mods as yet apart from

re-jetting the carby and installing a full FMF Powerbomb stainless system.

Do you have any recommendations regarding cams, carb etc?

Thank you.

Hi Pest. Where in Aus are you located?. I can put you in contact with someone who fitted his DRZ out with a 440 kit if you need any more clarification on the topic.

Cheers

Gomatt

Hi Gomatt. I am located in Bendigo which is in the state of Victoria. It would be great if you can put me in touch with someone here who has installed the 440 kit.

Thanks

Pest

If you have an R model then you should be ready to drop in some hotcams and the 440 kit for a boost in performance!

Are you guys talking about the Thumper racing 440 kit, or someone else's?

I'm still looking for input on which is the best big-bore kit to use for my new SM.

Millinium is the way to go you still have a an aluminium bore and a different piston. I'd go the 436 myself as the 440 kit like is in my bike has went up in price. Add hotcams and the high compression piston and you along with a full Yosh pipe shold put you over 50 hp at the rear wheel. I can't claim any of the building of my SM I just lucked into it because burned was buying a CRF or already had and was finishing paying for it. I jumped on it with both feet as soon as I saw it for sale. I have it plated and love the bike like it was a member of my family. Right now it is! prairiedawg :naughty:

Run away from the thumper kit, or any with an iron liner.

Millinium has a 434 that is a 94mm piston with a bored and replated cylinder and a 439 that is a 94.5 and a 450 that is a 95mm piston with a bored, sleeved (aluminum), and plated cylinder.

Another advantage to the sleeved kits is that you can get them with a 13.5:1 compression ratio.

Hi 10 guy,

Thank you for your information.As I'm based in Australia, how do I get in contact with Millinium in regards to their kit? A phone number or email address would help me out.

Thank you.