Sign in to follow this  

elbow guards

Hi, i have a scenario and a question. Im a motocrosser that does alittle of open trails here and there. Recently I had a high speed fall and slide on some rocky roads and screwed up my arm pretty badly, I was wondering if and what you guys use to help out when it does happen to you. thank you in advance.

I used some cheapie Fox elbow pads for my first few rides, but they kept sliding down or turning around... just wouldn't stay in position.

So... I don't use anything now, but if you do decide to get something for our elbows, don't get the ones I got.

A big problem with elbow pads that are secured better is the straps can make arm pump a bigger problem.

Three words: "Tuck And Roll". JK! I use some Thor elbow-guards when riding on Rock. Else, nothing but Jersey. (and a vest (pockets!))

Hi, i have a scenario and a question. Im a motocrosser that does alittle of open trails here and there. Recently I had a high speed fall and slide on some rocky roads and screwed up my arm pretty badly, I was wondering if and what you guys use to help out when it does happen to you. thank you in advance.

EVS BJ22 Ballistic Jersey. Everything stays where it is supposed to.

evs_bj2_front_200.jpg

evs_bj2_back_200.jpg

I tried the 661 version of that. Arm length was the problem. If I got a size that fit my torso, the elbows could not be adjusted low enough. If I got one that would cover my elbows instead of my triceps, it was hanging off of my chest and abs.

Definitely not something to purchase online.

My 661 elbow pads stay in place.

Held on by snug elastic material and wide velcro. I likes 'em.

Forearm exposed, but I haven't had a problem with that....yet.

I use the fox elbow guards with the thin neoprene material and harder material on the elbow and fore arm. They work really well.

Do you wear these over or under your jersey?

Same for knee protection?

I bought the Rockgardn online; large and medium. Big mistake! I had to return the large first and then the medium. The arms were just flapping around. I was already at the ends of the velcro and they were still flapping.

I tried the EVS at the local store. It definitely fit better, but the arms were still loose. Not as much as the Rockgardn, but I wasn't comfortable with the elbow pads being able to slide an inch up and down.

Then I got the Dainese. $250 on sale and it fit like a glove. I crashed badly on my right side and it saved my arm.

I had that tingling feeling on my elbow any time I bent it for 2 months, but my skin was protected.

If nothing else, I definitely recommend that you try them on locally. And if they fit, you can maybe buy them online to save a buck. I couldn't find the Dainese online, so I had to spend it locally. I gulped at the $250 at first, but after that fall it was worth it.

I have skinny arms so I had a hard time finding something that fit.

i wont ride wo em ever. i wear em under the jersy for better airflow and less catching on bushes. dont tighten em too much or arm will pump. same for knee pads gotta wear em.

a little tip over with an elbow hitting one little rock can break your elbow. wear protective gear. i am a gear nazi i must admit. i talk trash to guys who come riding with me if they dont wear a chest plate and just about everything else. the way i see it is they are not being respectful to the people they arre riding with as they increase their chances of getting hurt and us having to take care of em. it is really funny though that the next time they have all the gear.

serious off road riding requires serious prtection for body and bike

Mike

roskgarden flak jacket fits well and provides good elbow protection.

I'm brilliant Just ask me!!!! I ride alot of tight minnesota single track and I got tired of my arms bouncing off trees. I went to my local buy it again sports and found a pair of brand new childrens shin gaurds for soccer and spent like 6 bucks.. They work like a champ. (under the jersey)

EVS BJ22 Ballistic Jersey. Everything stays where it is supposed to.

evs_bj2_front_200.jpg

evs_bj2_back_200.jpg

Tubo, is that thing hot to wear?

Tubo, is that thing hot to wear?
It's a tossup. The material is very porous and open. The pads are vented. When stopped in hot weather (yesterday was over 90 degrees and extremely humid), it is quite warm but I used to wear just a jersey with no other protection so I can't really compare it to separate elbow pads and a chest protector (remember, I grew up riding for most of my life where my main gear was rubber boots or hiking boots, levies and work gloves). I wear a jersey over and a t-shirt underneath the jacket and yesterday the t-shirt was soaked with sweat. When moving at any speed from slow to fast it's very comfortable and somewhat like air conditioning. Overall I would say it is year round comfortable here in the Pac NW. In hot desert areas I don't know.

I wear elbow pads outside the jersey. With a piece of velcro sewn to the inside top of the elbow pad and the other piece of velcro sewn to the outside of jersey sleeve you won't have any slippage. Just attach the elbow pad to the sleeve. This also lets you leave the elbow straps a little looser. Sewing a longer strip 2" to 3" along the length of the sleeve allows for adjustment.

Do you wear these over or under your jersey?

Same for knee protection?

I wear the Fox elbow guards over my jersey. Mine have three velcro straps so they can be adjusted. No arm pump problem here.

They have saved countless damage to my elbows and forearms from falling in rocks. I once knew a guy that fell on a road at about 70 mph. He broke one elbow so badly that it is now permanently pinned at 90 degrees. Can't bend further or straighten. You don't have to fall going fast to do serious damage.

I've worn guards ever since.