Sign in to follow this  

question about my chain....

my chain on my DRZ400S seems to have really stretched since I got the bike last year,,,I've got the chain adjusters set almost to the highest number ..stills seems a little loose...I might have to put it right to the limit to get the right tension..does anyone else have this problem??..can I get the chain shortened ???or do I have to get a new chain? thx

pull the chain from the back of the rear sprocket, if it show more than half of the sprox tooth, the chain is shot.

what is ya gear ratio now? 15/44 stock??

yeah....stock gear ratio...bike only has 9500 km...its an /03 ,don't the chains last longer than that??

depends on how you care for it,, and if you over tightened it.

Take the advice above.. pull the chain away from the rear sprocket.. if your seeing day light,, The chain is junk.. If the sprocket teeth have any wear and hook to them.. They are junk also.

pull the chain from the back of the rear sprocket, if it show more than half of the sprox tooth, the chain is shot.

Can someone explain this. I'm a newbie :) and not sure what to :D do or :) look for?

Take and pull on the chain at the very back of the loop around the rear sprocket. You are trying to pull it away from the sprocket, if you can pull it far enough back to see daylight between the chain and the bottom part of the U on the socket it needs to be replaced. If you are just running one rear sprocket the whole time then most likely they will need to be replaced as well, unless you are running a stainless sprocket and then you can often go through a couple of chains before it needs to be replaced.

Don't forget to check the countershaft sprocket as well. You are looking for teeth that have a hook to them or are thin all the way up, most teeth have an up-side down V profile (kind of).