Looking for help from Texas.

I am looking at a frame for a crf 450 on ebay that is from Texas. The purpose of buying this would to be to make my wifes California bike street legal. so i guess my question is how hard is it to make a bike street legal in Texas. I could do it in AZ but I would have to haul the bike there where if I bought a frame from Texas it would allready be registered there. When you convert a bike in Texas do they need to check to make sure the brake lite and the headlight work? or can i just fly out and pay the fees at the DMV and Fly back home with a plate?

If you change the state that it is registered in, the new state WILL need to see it to verify the VIN.

Why do you need to change the frame? Is her bike stolen? You could just register her current bike elsewhere. What's a little drive to AZ?

nope the bike is not stolen. But the drive to AZ would be about 16 hrs. The drive to Nevada is closer but requires a lot more to get it registered there.

In Texas you need to get a safety chk once a year. You would need to take the bike to a motor cycle shop that will do the inspection(Horn,speedo,brake lite and so on).With your bike you will need proof of insurance and moto endorsement. Some shops are ez some are not. The last time I had a bike inspected I think it cost $12.00.

You can not regaster a bike till you get the safety chk.

My wife is in the airforce and are last stop was Texas. We have two cars and two bikes with Texas plates. The cool thing about the inspection is that once you get it, its up to you to keep it up to date. Once a year I get my renewal for my plate in the mail,its up to me to go get an inspection sticker. SOOOOOO as long as I am not in Texas, I don't need an inspection sticker on my car/bike.

I hope this helps



Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By JoogJohn
      I'm headed down from Northern California in late April/May with my wife and our two dogs. We're just trying to have a relaxing vacation with our dogs and go around and eat at some good places / beaches etc. We were thinking LA but even as far as San Diego sounds good. Wife gave me the a-ok to bring my bike so I can sneak out out a bit to ride. Any suggestions on where to stay?
    • By az1liner
      Yo kids ,
       we just did our annual run to blind Indian today and the other fun stuff the area has to offer , conditions were purely awsome after the storms last night, the #211 trail needs some activity , doesn't look like shes getting used too much , we kicked a bunch of rocks off ,broke some nasty dead branches , etc , still passable , the 1st uphill with switch backs has been storm washed exposing aggregate but thats not suck a bad deal ( traction was pretty good ) , she needs to see more riders ...put this on your agenda, grab some like minded trail hoppers and lets keep this trail fresh   
    • By PiutesFan
      Footage courtesy of the RAZR & his trusty drone
    • By Flifshr
      Trying to buy an older yz125 w a green sticker. I came across a 2004 that is green sticker. Per the owner "CA used to do a lottery thing on a certain year and bike and it was the 04 125 that got the green sticker". 
      I am gonna confirm the VIN, but was wondering if it's in fact true that CA issued green stickers with a lottery system for 2003 and newer bikes?
      I tried searching and couldn't find anything. 
      Thank you all for you advice. 
    • By firefinch
      I just picked up a 2018 YZ250X and need to do my break in. How gnarly is Rowher Flats after rains like we just had? I'm thinking about heading there Sunday. I moved to LA last year and I've only been there 3 or 4 times, but so far I enjoy the riding there more than most of the "day trip" locations.
      Not the biggest fan of Hungry Valley, but I imagine HV is ok despite the rain this week.
      Side note, how bad does the road in to RF get after weather like we just had?