New DRZ Owner here......and got a question??

Well I did it guys, got me a pretty sweet DRZ400E with a dual sport kit. It's in really nice shape considering it's a 2000. I'll cut straight to the point for now. When I went to look at the bike I started it and it ran good, but it was noisy. Now I've never owned a 4 stroke dirt bike before, last bike I had was a YZ125. I know thumpers are usually a bit more noisy, but this was a sort of rattling sound coming from a certain area I thought. SEE PICTURE!! I circled it. I'm thinking the culprit is the ACCT, arrow? Seems like the cam chain might be a little loose and causing a racket, what does everyone think? I got such a good deal on the bike I couldn't turn it up even with this noise.

drz9tr.jpg

The acct isnt usually accused of causing a loose chain. ususally a too-tight one, then it lets go all together. Change this part IMMMEDIATLY on a 2000 bike. The failure rate is high.

The drz is a noisy rattley engine, dont worry about the noise. But do worry about that acct. Get a MCCT asap.

+1.. I agree. contact machinist. get an mcct, go ride.

j

The acct isnt usually accused of causing a loose chain. ususally a too-tight one, then it lets go all together. Change this part IMMMEDIATLY on a 2000 bike. The failure rate is high.

Weeeeeellllllllll now, the acct will definately cause a too tight cam chain but then guess what happens to that chain that is too tight??????

The correct answer is: It gets loose and then real loose and then sloppy loose and then booooooooommmmmmmm!!!!!!!!

I'd replace both the cam chain ($60 or so) and get a mcct from Rui at bitech.

I've owned countless four stroke singles over the years. While it is wise to replace the ACCT on earlier models, don't be too freaked out by the noisy motor. This engine makes more clatter than any thumper I have ever owned.

It's kind of funny...

I was test-riding a bunch of dualsport bikes for a friend of mine on Saturday. Even the pair of five year old air-cooled Yamaha XT350s I drove, sounded remarkably quite, compared to my brand new DRZ400S.

well, that's sorta good news then. I am still planning on getting the mcct, but I was a little freaked out about that rattle. The bike ran great when I test drove it. I was afraid to start the bike till I got the MCCT, but sounds like I'm cool. I'll contact Rui and get one very soon, but in the mean time I'll do a little riding.

on a 2000 model the end of windup spring breaks off and the tensioner can loosen!!!!!!!!I would at least remove and inspect tensiner before ridding bike...

I've owned countless four stroke singles over the years. While it is wise to replace the ACCT on earlier models, don't be too freaked out by the noisy motor. This engine makes more clatter than any thumper I have ever owned.

It's kind of funny...

I was test-riding a bunch of dualsport bikes for a friend of mine on Saturday. Even the pair of five year old air-cooled Yamaha XT350s I drove, sounded remarkably quite, compared to my brand new DRZ400S.

Good to hear. I have turned 400km on my new 2005 drz400s and was wondering about the clatter. :naughty: My dad who's had bikes for years though something was wrong with my new bike 'till he took it for a ride. :naughty: His last dirt bike was a DR250 from the early eighties.

If the rattling noise is coming from the crank area (bottom of engine, right side), then you have a loose nut and washer that holds you cam drive spocket.This rattle is most noticed at idle. Cam chains that are loose make noise at higher engine speeds.

The noise from mine is just typical clattery valve and cam noise from the head. Seems to be the normal music this motor makes.

Please change to a mcct. Also if your valves are off they make racket too. It isn't a 2 stroke and has way more moving parts, so expect more noise. Other than that congratulations. You got a very good bike that hasn't been changed much since it came out. Other than a wonky acct it don't have a lot of troubles. prairiedawg :naughty::naughty:

I know for a fact!!! Your ACCT is all the way extended & you're chain is stretched. Get a Bitech MCCT & a new chain. Don't delay!! Or your Suzie will delay you in a tight spot.

got one on the way, hope it comes today!

I know for a fact!!! Your ACCT is all the way extended & you're chain is stretched. Get a Bitech MCCT & a new chain. Don't delay!! Or your Suzie will delay you in a tight spot.

:) Bold statement from looking at a photo????

I Was Thinking A Good Wash Job Would Make The Bike Alot Happier.

LMAO!!! The only time my bike is as clean as skyd's is when I need to take a picture of it to update my garage.

And just how do you know this for a fact???? Stu is correct in that it is a bold statement. Unless of course you have x-ray vision that works on pictures.

:)

Not that it matters for the chain tensioner, but is this bike a K model or an E with a kickstarter? Just curious.

E with a kickstarter :)

:)

By chance to you change clothes in a phone booth?