wr 250f

Hey there people,I am looking at buying a thumper tossing up between a wr 250 and a xr 250 I love yammys but i have heard the wr's have gear box problems in the 426, is this the same for the 250's.As for the honda ive been told they are very sluggish but very reliable anyone got any opinions for me to go on.thanks Robbo74. :naughty:

I don't think any one has reported gearbox problem in the WR250's Some folks have bent shifter forks by coming down from a jump with their foot on the shifter lever, but I think that would happen on any bike if you did that.

The XR is just about bullet proof as far a reliability goes. It will run forever with a minimum of maintenance. However, it has far less power than the WR250. It's almost a different class of bike. The XR is an excellent play bike, while the WR could be raced competitively.

The trade-off is that the WR is a little more demanding in terms of maintenance, as you would expect a race bike to be. You MUST change the oil frequently (every 2 or three rides, depending on how hard you flog it) along with keeping a fresh air filter in it. You should check the valve clearances twice a year as well. The manual that comes with the WR is excellent and will step you through this quite easily.

If you've got some riding experience, don't want to outgrow the bike quickly, and are certain about your commitment to maintain the bike, then go with the WR.

You'll like the WR waaaaaay better. The XR is weak and you'll grow out of it quick. You'll be limited on what you can do with the XR also. I would strongly reccomend the WR unless you are a girl, or under 5 ft tall.

The XR is weak and you'll grow out of it quick. You'll be limited on what you can do with the XR also. I would strongly reccomend the WR unless you are a girl, or under 5 ft tall.

uh oh.

counting down the seconds until dwight rudder shows up...

<cue dwight, LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION>

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83

(Moderated by 7x ISDT/E medalist and 8x AMA Natl Enduro Champ, Dwight Rudder)

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

Well, I looked up the specs on the XR250 and the seat height is about the same as a CRF which suprised me. The downfall is the weak motor and the XR has almost 2" less ground clearance and it weighs 30lbs more.

Thanks guys i think i will go with the wr sounds alot better bike,i am 6ft'1, 90kgs so i think the wr is the better bike for me i have ridden 2 strokes all my life so i am going to notice a big difference in power output.i live in australia ,has anyone got any idea on what a wr250 2001-2002 would cost.

uh oh.

counting down the seconds until dwight rudder shows up...

<cue dwight, LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION>

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83

(Moderated by 7x ISDT/E medalist and 8x AMA Natl Enduro Champ, Dwight Rudder)

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

I don't think you have to worry about that, he seems to be into his KTMs now. Too bad, he changed over before I got my XR. I get good info from his old posts.