• Oneal
    • Bell
    • other
    • i dont wear a helmet

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THH TX-10, nice fitting (good padding) helmet that only cost around $60, has been good to me in minor run ins on the trails.

TX10_Black_Silver.gif

-J

ya got to be careful with the cheaper helmets because they are not dot and snell tested and your head is hopefully worth more than $60

just like knee braces are worth there weight in carbon fiber if ya need em in a crash

ya got to be careful with the cheaper helmets because they are not dot and snell tested and your head is hopefully worth more than $60

just like knee braces are worth there weight in carbon fiber if ya need em in a crash

Ok, I understand that...

The thing is I'm just a recreational/"putt-putt" rider so this helmet would cover any kind of collision at the worst case I'd ever have... I do not race, and I do not race through the woods. But yes, for those of you out there (who do ride fast through the woods) you should throw down the money for the Snell name.

-J

• 3 weeks later...

For dirt right now I have a Fly helmet..... works well, but then again I've never had to test that.

For the street I wear a Fulmer, Suomy, KBC, and Shoei (on order).

Fulmers new line of helmets for 06 look really nice the graphics are really nice, I can attest to the protection as well. I got hit head on by a dodge ram and I ended up smashing my face into the grill/hood area and landing on my back. I was very lucky, I walked away completely fine I just had a scratch on my shin. I did have a slightly swore chin but otherwise the helmet did its job. If I wasn't wearing a helmet, god damn I'd probably be dead or need extensive plastic surgery. I equate the crash to running full sprint head first into a wall. I saw the impact, I saw the hood, I also couldn't do shit about it, but ride it out! My friend gave me shit cuz Fulmers are cheap (through a friend I got mine for $75 including tax and tinted shield!) but when he heard the story he was convienced its as good as any 500 plus helmet.

Everyone has a different shaped head. Ive owned over 20 different helmets over the last 30 years. You have to go with the most comfortable and functional for yourself. It has too be light and strong with excessive ventilation. For a good helmet, price is no object for quality, fit and performance. It is truly the fit and the functionality that works best for me.

In the past year I've had a Fox Pro Pilot (too snub nosed) -

I've got at friend that is an Arai Dealer. He was showing me the new Windham model. I tried it on and thought that it was too close to my nose. (no comments from the cheap seats)

Anyway I made some comment about that. He thought the same thing and asked the rep. The reps explanation was that a lot of the helmet manufacturers are going this way for safety reasons. If you happen to do a faceplant in the ground that the chin bar is closer to being parallel to the top of the helmet and shouldn't dig in the ground and help prevent neck injury.

Don't know if it's BS or not?