Which needle in a JD Jet Kit?

Noob here again. I pulled my carb to find that it is stock at 142main, DXP-4, 2.5 turns out. I'll assume that the pilot jet is also stock at 45.

Stupid question: Previous owner spend some bucks on an FMF pipe+silencer and opened up the airbox. Other stuff like a steering damper ($$$), bark busters, and other little whizbang junk was added. Why spend all of this money only to neglect the carb tuning? They just made a lean bike leaner. Did they miss out on of the benefit of that pipe/airbox modification? :naughty: How much did turning the screw out one revolution help?

The good news is that the hesitiation is easily explained and I have a JD jet kit on the way to my house. Per Noble's and NateTheGreat's recommendations, I'm going for a 158main, JD needle and 2.5 turns - leave the pilot jet alone.

Which needle in the JD kit should I use? Which slot? I'd be picking the need based on a color preference more than a informed choice. Should I bother the tech support here at TT because I'm a paying customer now? :naughty:

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it!

Richard

Noob here again. I pulled my carb to find that it is stock at 142main, DXP-4, 2.5 turns out. I'll assume that the pilot jet is also stock at 45.

Stupid question: Previous owner spend some bucks on an FMF pipe+silencer and opened up the airbox. Other stuff like a steering damper ($$$), bark busters, and other little whizbang junk was added. Why spend all of this money only to neglect the carb tuning? They just made a lean bike leaner. Did they miss out on of the benefit of that pipe/airbox modification? :naughty: How much did turning the screw out one revolution help?

The good news is that the hesitiation is easily explained and I have a JD jet kit on the way to my house. Per Noble's and NateTheGreat's recommendations, I'm going for a 158main, JD needle and 2.5 turns - leave the pilot jet alone.

Which needle in the JD kit should I use? Which slot? I'd be picking the need based on a color preference more than a informed choice. Should I bother the tech support here at TT because I'm a paying customer now? :naughty:

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it!

Richard

What alt do you ride at? What are the temps?

I just put that kit on my KLX 400 this weekend and went with the blue needle and the 162 main jet. I was suprised to see the stock main jet was a 142 because my plug was showing that the bike was already running rich. It seemed to run better but it still boggs down and wants to die if you wrap the throttle quickly.