tricks to keeping hands and feet dry

TT is full on good tips and tricks, so what better place to ask this question. I am doing a long ride in the rain tomorrow. I can usually stay dry with the exception of my feet and hands. Any tips and tricks you may have, I would love to hear them.

Somebody else may have better info... but I don't think there are solutions to that... you will get wet... I have seen guys put their feet in plastic bags before they put their boots on.

Duct taping the joint between your boots and pants after you have suited up will keep quite a bit of water out of your boots... but if you have to go wading....

Coating your boots with Sno-Seal or Mink Oil (both are silicone wax) gives you a longer time before your feet feel wet.

Maybe somebody has tried Gore-Tex gloves?

We have so much sand here in MI that I like riding in rainy conditions... it firms the sand up and gives you better traction... the temps drop and the bike runs crisper, and so does my body... I wouldn't like it much if it was slick mud... but that is rare here.

Most riding apparel suppiers offer wet weather gear and suggestions above are also good.

For the feet an old boy scout trick was to use bread loaf bags on our feet to keep them dry. You can also chack hunting catalos or stores for Gore-Tex socks and gloves. I think Moose or someone makes neopreem (sp?) gloves.

Don't forget the pam Mike!

Bill

------------------

86TT225, 98CR80, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

I've been using Snowboarder gloves/gaunlets as overmitts on my street bike for a few years now. They're built to withstand teenager abuse, totally waterproof, have a rough grip so you don't slip around too much.. and they're fairly cheap when comparing them to bike-shop prices.

Why is it you always assume I am behind? On the trails I ride it is all about technical skills. If you ride with me on my terrain, I'll be spraying you with pam. You may have to come to NH to accept that challenge.

ps...Don't make me come down there and open up a can of roost-ass.

[This message has been edited by mike68 (edited 11-10-2000).]

Fox sells a glove called the (polar paw) that takes care of the hands. Back pack outfit stores sell what is comonly called a (gator) it is a piece of water proof material with elastic on the top and bottom this will keep the run-off from going down your leg and into your boots. Sno-seal your boots also found at the backpack store. And above all gore tex riding gear from MSR Racing. If this doesnt keep you dry than it had better be a monsoon out there ? huge

I live in Ohio. It's cold, windy, and wet this time of the year.

Breadbags do the trick for me ? I also spray boot silicone every fall (last week in fact)

My hands stay relatively dry behind handguards, but on my last bike I installed grip heater elements under the grip. In fact, my street bike has them now. I'm selling it soon to buy the new Yamaha FZ1, so they're coming off to go on the WR. Will buy a new set for the Fazer.

What I found the last couple of falls riding with heaters: less arm pump, cold fatique and weakness is gone. They get pretty darn hot, too, so you actually have them on for about 20 minutes, then off for 15 etc. For cold weather riding, they are fantastic!

You could try gumboots or one of those surf fishing outfits... not only are they very attractive, but you can put spark plugs and tools in the pockets. For your hands try some dishwashing gloves, they work great when washing the dishes @ home ?