Sign in to follow this  

KLX 400 Pipe

Has anyone drilled out the baffle on the end cap of the muffler? I was wondering what size and kind of drill bit was used because I don't want to mess up the spark arrestor.

Sure it will be louder with no power gain at all. It's a loser proposition, if ya want hp you got to pay for it. FMF, Yosh, Muzzy, Aproponics, White Brothers. You getting the picture. If I had an S I myself would go Yosh full pipe. At least you get a heat shield that's missing for my K. prairiedawg

Does getting a replacement end cap that has a wider opening give any more power or is that a waste as well?

The biggest gain is to be had in the head pipe design/diameter, slip ons or modifing the stock muffler will yield marginal improvements at best.

Does getting a replacement end cap that has a wider opening give any more power or is that a waste as well?

No...just more noise. The exhaust system is really not that bad on the S...if you want to make it a little louder just drill three 9/16" holes in the baffle behind the spark arrestor. You'll need a long drill bit. Gives it a throaty sound but does nothing for performance. Unless you do a full system including the header there is not much to be gained in my opinion. Lots of $ spent on just making bikes louder. A slip-on is a slip-on...and if you wanna spend $300 to make it louder knock yourself out... :naughty:

You use a 1 3/8 inch bimetal hole saw, but as posted above why do it? You won't get any peformance gain.