fork seal leak, will i be ok for a week

I noticed I blew out my seals on my last ride a week ago. I am leaving for Baja on Friday. my bike is already down there, so I can't change them right now. Should i buy the parts and change them when I get down there? i will be riding in Baja on and off for a week. I plan on getting them revalved and set-up for my weight when I get back. If I don't change them when I get there, would I be ok for riding for a week? I don't plan on doing anything extreme down there, but who knows. If anything I want to check the oil in the forks, make sure theres enough. I'm sure the book says how much to put in, but how do you check the level on them, if there is oil left in the forks? Any help would be great, and I plan on getting seal savers when I get new seals.

Those seal savers ripped on my first ride with them and on top of that, BOTH seals blew and one set was brand new. This was about 4 rides with them. I will NEVER put seal savers on them again :D But that's my story :naughty:

Just take the fork apart and change it. Maybe 1-2 hours of work if you clean everything really well w/ brake cleaner :naughty:

You might be able to fix the problem without taking them apart. Remove the fork guards, and pry down the dust wiper on the forks. Then take a business card and slip the corner of it up into the fork leg between the lower tub and the seal ( very carefully), then move the card all the way around the tube. Do this a couple times, then wipe everything down, and clean out the dust wiper as much as possible. Put it all back together and about 75% of the time your problem will be solved.

If you are low on oil, you can add some through the top fork cap. Also, if you are somewhere you can't get fork oil, you can use tranny fluid in a pinch....

Its real important to keep your seals and fork legs real clean all the time, cause most fork seal leaks happen when dirt gets crammed up into the seal. The seal is usually still ok, but the dirt is trapped in there causing it to leak. The proceedure above usually fixes this problem.

Good luck

You might be able to fix the problem without taking them apart. Remove the fork guards, and pry down the dust wiper on the forks. Then take a business card and slip the corner of it up into the fork leg between the lower tub and the seal ( very carefully), then move the card all the way around the tube. Do this a couple times, then wipe everything down, and clean out the dust wiper as much as possible. Put it all back together and about 75% of the time your problem will be solved.

If you are low on oil, you can add some through the top fork cap. Also, if you are somewhere you can't get fork oil, you can use tranny fluid in a pinch....

Its real important to keep your seals and fork legs real clean all the time, cause most fork seal leaks happen when dirt gets crammed up into the seal. The seal is usually still ok, but the dirt is trapped in there causing it to leak. The proceedure above usually fixes this problem.

Good luck

As you're saying, this procedure may work but only if it's a matter of dirt stuck into the seal.

If seals are broken you need to use a credit card but for buying new ones ?

Thanks for all the help, i'll try the buisness card thing first, if that doesnt work, I'll have to replace them down there. I also read somewhere on this site about using film negatives and a feeler guage. Also, i tried to call around at different shops in socal, about service manuels for my bike, but they all had to order them, anyone know where to find a downloadable PDF file, i dont have a problem paying for it. i'm just running out of time and if i get in trouble down there, i dont have access to the internet to ask you guys questions, lol. anyway, thanks again for the help.

Thanks for all the help, i'll try the buisness card thing first, if that doesnt work, I'll have to replace them down there. I also read somewhere on this site about using film negatives and a feeler guage. Also, i tried to call around at different shops in socal, about service manuels for my bike, but they all had to order them, anyone know where to find a downloadable PDF file, i dont have a problem paying for it. i'm just running out of time and if i get in trouble down there, i dont have access to the internet to ask you guys questions, lol. anyway, thanks again for the help.

Which bike do you have? If you have a yamaha, then I could scan the front suspension chapter of my owner's manual and send it to you by e-mail. I mean, I may help you if you mention your bike's make & model. ?

Which bike do you have? If you have a yamaha, then I could scan the front suspension chapter of my owner's manual and send it to you by e-mail. I mean, I may help you if you mention your bike's make & model. ?

Nope, not a Yamaha. It's a 02 Honda CRF450R.