Sign in to follow this  

petcock leaks when off

Is the petcock leaking in the "off" position a common problem? Anybody got an extra one that I can buy off of you? Otherwise, does anyone have a recommended fix besides dealer markup?

Thanks!

I wouldn't say it's all that common, but it does happen every now and then.

Ron Ayers sells 'em for $49.29, if you need to buy a new one.

I wouldn't say it's all that common, but it does happen every now and then.

Ron Ayers sells 'em for $49.29, if you need to buy a new one.

$50 bones for a petcock :naughty: Dang....Why not spend the extra $$ for a Pingle which can be rebuilt if need be?

Kinda pricey eh? Maybe the equivalent part for the KLX would be cheaper?

Pingle :naughty:

My petcock was leaking in the off position and I took it apart to find out the gasket behind the lever had a crack in it. Went to the Kawasaki dealer and they said they could only sell the whole setup and it would run $60. I kept looking and found that they sell the gasket seperately for the KLX 300 and it is the exact same (i have the KLX 400). You might try taking the the two screws off from the switch to see if it is the gasket behind is cracked and then see if other models sell just the gasket.

Dennis Kirk has a petcock for sale for $13.99. I have never used or heard anything about it but am curious myself. May be an option. ( Part # 18-0969)

You can buy gasket making material of the proper type at Pep boys, etc. Why not rebuild yourself?

You can buy gasket making material of the proper type at Pep boys, etc. Why not rebuild yourself?

If it's a gasket problem, that's certainly feasible.

However, it could be the part you turn, or the oring around that part...in which case it'd need to be replaced or rebuilt.

Leave the petcock on. I have an 03 drz400e and leave mine on all the time. Hell I live in mn and couldnt ride all winter long and still left it on. Come spring time, starts right up. no problem... :)