Found a mint Honda TLR200 REFLEX - Should I get it?

OK, some of you already know I am looking for a dual sport bike, something I can ride legally on the streets but then hop on a trail with.

I am 5'4" and 115 lbs and want to be able to handle my bike so need to have "flat feet" when sitting in the saddle.

This rules out all the new dual sports bike and leaves me with the 1980's Hondas. I found and own an XL80S enduro, but it is just a bit too small. I am currently looking for a XL100 (perfect size for me - I need a saddle about 30 inches high) but have not found A-one so far.

In my surfing the net I stumbled upon the Reflex. Although a larger engine (200C), its dry weight is identical to the XL100 and so is it's height!! And there is a mint one here in my town (less than 1000 miles on it and in great condition - looks new - has all the lights and current tags - street legal) for sale NOW.

But I have some concerns. The Reflex is a trial bike, so how will it compare to say the XL80 on a basic trail. NOTE: I DO STRICTLY PLEASURE RIDING, ride at very low speeds (and I mean LOW - 5 to 20 mph tops) and basically just want to enjoy the scenery and explore backroads and dirt trails. Nothing hard core. My XL80 has small wheels and boggles down in lose dirt REAL FAST it's been giving me a hard time...

Reflex has bigger wheels, but what about the tires? They seem somewhat less "offroadish" then those of XLs.. How will it handle patches of loser dirt (I am in Ca so we have a lot of deserts - I do stay clear away from SANDY washes but they seem to follow me everywhere I go LOL) ... What about riding on the streets? I don't intend to go faster than about 40 mph... The XL80 has a hard time going faster than 35 mph LOL, feels very unstable above 25 mph)... And it can't break worth a shit.

Could this 1987 Reflex do the job for me and give me the riding enjoyment I am after? (and will my butt hurt LOL I was told the seat is very uncomfortable - is it really?)

Sorry for such a long post, but I'd hate to cough up $1800 for the wrong bike and I am ready to take the plonge maybe tomorrow or Saturday... (yikes)

And if I pass on this opportunity to finally have a bike the right size, will I be sorry? They don't seem to come by that often in such a great shape and in my area.

HELP!

My wife had one of those... until she crashed it and broke her wrist. :canada:

Don't worry, she's not a very good rider and went too fast for her skill level. :canada:

I think it would make a good dual sport for you because it has a very low seat height, is super easy to ride, and they're very reliable.

Here's a great article you may want to read...
http://imlpld1.berkeley.edu/~bob/mc/reflex/

That's very expensive for an 87. I'd try to get it for 1100-1300 if it's really nice.

Tires are easily changed.(by someone else)

The seat could well be a very real problem. Would be for me. Depends on YOUR butt. :)

These bikes are more of a collector item than a riders bike. You can see one of these in a 1970's John Wayne movie. His sidekick rides a camouflaged covered one, they made it look like a turn of the century machine. I'd leave it for a collector at that price. You might look at a Suzuki DRZ 200 or whatever they are. Maybe an XR 200 with a Dualsport kit on it, they're out there. 3 brothers racing in Costa Mesa has a nice Yamaha TW200 for about 1600 bucks right now. The TW has a low seat height and is extrememly reliable. Then there's the Serrow by Yamaha. Milano rides the heck out of his and he swears by this worthy trail mount.

If you were my girlfriend, I'd steer you toward the TW by Yamaha.

If you were my girlfriend, I'd steer you toward............

Soo hard,,,,,to re,,,sist,,,,,,,the temp,,,,ta,,,,,,,,tion.

ok, whew,,,I'm ok

The issue I see with that bike is the very small fuel tank, an xt225 or like Keith says the other 200cc class bike are better choices for dual sport.

My wife is about the same height as you and rides a converted crf230 just fine

she can't put both feet flat,,but for that matter I can't either on my 400, never seamed like a problem.

These bikes are more of a collector item than a riders bike. You can see one of these in a 1970's John Wayne movie. His sidekick rides a camouflaged covered one, they made it look like a turn of the century machine. I'd leave it for a collector at that price. You might look at a Suzuki DRZ 200 or whatever they are. Maybe an XR 200 with a Dualsport kit on it, they're out there. 3 brothers racing in Costa Mesa has a nice Yamaha TW200 for about 1600 bucks right now. The TW has a low seat height and is extrememly reliable. Then there's the Serrow by Yamaha. Milano rides the heck out of his and he swears by this worthy trail mount.

If you were my girlfriend, I'd steer you toward the TW by Yamaha.

Hogwash, I ride an 85 that's as competent as many much newer bikes. They haven't changed THAT much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it's in good shape he could ride it for another 10 years. :)

kieth-

If you're talking about the John Wayne western "Big Jake", when his kid rides the "turn of the century" motorcycle off road and eventually off of a cliff...

I believe that bike was a Bultaco. :)

I wouldn't mind having a Reflex in my garage to fart around on. Didn't you once admit to a dark, secret desire to own one of those balloon-tired "Fat Cats?" :D

Yep, that was the one. I thought it was a 4 stroke. I was 12 at the time. And it's a TW200 I have a secret desire for. Hmmmmm, if the author of this post gets one, I'll make her my girlfriend so I can ride hers. Let me run this by my wife.

Boys, get your minds out of the gutter, we have more important things to tackle here than your oh soo predictable fantasies. :)

I have ruled out 200 cc because at 115 lbs no way in hell I can kick start that puppy.

Meanwhile reflex sold LOL, but I did talk to the owner and he admited that his wife, who is the same height and weight as me could ride the bike but not start it. As for me I am only interested in a bike I can start, and load up, by myself. So back to a 100 or 125 enduro of some sort... Apart from Honda did any other brand make street legal dirt bikes in that cc size ...

It's compression ratio mostly that determines how hard a bike is to kick. Trials bikes are low compression, I can't imagine it being much harder to start than a 100cc bike.

There is another one in the for sale section right now for $950 (I think) but it's in Wash. DC

You're pretty "big" for a 100. :)

My 10 y/o son is 4'6" and 70lbs and he looks "just right" on his KLX 110, but next year he'll look big on it.

Strong little bike though, good suspension too. Paid $1100 for a super clean 2003 a month ago.

I'm serious, the Yamahas are your bike. I believe the TW220 is electric start, the seat is lower than the Reflex. What part of CA are you in? I'll find you a TW to look at. Milano would probably let you ride his around the block.

I'm serious, the Yamahas are your bike. I believe the TW220 is electric start, the seat is lower than the Reflex. What part of CA are you in? I'll find you a TW to look at. Milano would probably let you ride his around the block.

Sounds nice but is that Yamaha street legal? remember I am looking for dual sport... Is it 4 stroke?

If answer is yes on both above COUNT ME IN.... Any help is appreciated :).

,<<MindBlower]It's compression ratio mostly that determines how hard a bike is to kick. Trials bikes are low compression, I can't imagine it being much harder to start than a 100cc bike.

There is another one in the for sale section right now for $950 (I think) but it's in Wash. DC

You're pretty "big" for a 100. :)>>

Mmmm... I beg to differ on both above. :D 100 has the right seat height, I will not even be flat feet on it, but close. 125 is going to be much more like a "toes touch but that's about all" and above that (175 and up) I can only touch one foot at a time. I do want to have flat feet when on my bike. That is my personal preference and I am going to stick with that. Bigger is not always better :). besides it's not the size, it's what you do with it hehehehe... (ooops now my mind went down that famous gutter LOL)

Actually there are no significant length difference between 100XL and its bigger sisters. But the height and weight however do change quite a bit. Since I want size of wheels but prefer lighter and lower, 100CC is right. Or a modified 125 to lwoer it a bit (I am considering that as well). I think I can kick start a 125 OK.

I doubt that a 200cc would have the same compression as a 100CC... regretably I do not have the compression specs for reflex 200, do you, we can then compare cause I have all the XLs compression rates here, I am interested in finding out for sure...

It's time to do a little homework Endurogirl. Check out Yamaha.com. I think they have a line up of products. Then, go to traderonline.com. Look at the motorcycle for sale section. Then, go to recycler.com. They have alot of local listings.

It's time to do a little homework Endurogirl. Check out Yamaha.com. I think they have a line up of products. Then, go to traderonline.com. Look at the motorcycle for sale section. Then, go to recycler.com. They have alot of local listings.

LOL, you're kidding right? Do you have any idea how many hours I have spent weekly looking for a bike? I check ebay twice a day! I check the recycler once a day. I do broad searches on the net looking for any bikes for sale, I buy the cycle trader each week... AND check their websiute too (what the heck). I post wanted adds here and there and even visit forums and put the word out (like this thread). In short, I have my black belt in bike hunting. :)... So if I have not yet found a bike street legal 1984 or younger and my size, it was not for the lack of looking LOL.

I do believe I already sat on one of them Yamahas when I was at Kolbe cycle dealer last week and checked both their dual sport models. Bike is too big, as I said I do want my feet flat or almost flat when I stop the bike. Yamaha was too high for me to reach, I could only put one foot down. :D Now if only they made a 125 we'd be in business...

The Reflex 200's are great little bikes and a big step up over the current XL80 you are riding. They can be a bitch to start even though they are not hard to kick over.

I'm not sure how much $$ you want to spend but if I was looking for my wife and she was your size and lived in that restricted state, here's what I'd do.

Go get a used Yamaha TTR125 with the larger wheels. Make sure it's a green sticker bike and has e-start. (I can't remember if the first one's were kick as well.) Then I'd get a dual sport kit from Baja Designs. The alternate more economical choice is to buy the headlight, tailight and other parts you need separately and install it yourself. Not sure how handy you are but with e-start comes a battery so you've got power available.

I don't like the TW200's for the fact that they have the fat, semi-atv tires and they weigh a ton.

The XL100 is way larger than these new little KLX/DRZ110's. They are closer in size to the XR70's and TTR90's.