Bong Rec Area Question

How strict are they at policing Bong State Recreation Area for noise and spark arresters?

We are looking to do a first shake down run on a couple of YZ426 and wondering if we’ll get kicked.

Any other Chicagoland riding areas (non racing) open on Sun 5/8?

Thanks.

?

I have some advice on Bong, DON'T GO!! Place sucks balls!! it's full of quad ruts and is flat, so the only fun you'll have is going fast but that doesn't mix with the ruts (have yet to groom the place, don't know where the admission fees are going, well I can assume). All my injuries are from that dump, swore off it years ago. A bit difficult to pass some fat ass on his 4x4 quad doing 10 mph kicking up dust. Trails are one way with not much room to pass. I got pretty good at passing tubs of sh*t on quads though (while ensuring my roost nails them) which usually ends up in arguments in the parking lot with the hill billy. In a nut shell, Bong is for kids too young to drive and rely on their parents to drive them because it's close to home in order to get some sort of riding in.

If you still plan to go don't even worry about the noise, you could run open headers and be fine. Worst case scenario is someone may come by to check for parking sticker, think it's $7-$10 a day. They will offer you the season pass for $30, trust me you won't be back so pass on that.

Buffalo Range in Ottawa Il. is the only place worth while in the top half of Illinois, forget Wisconsin unless it's Indian Head counrty and they mostly allow Quads. Get use to drivein to Ottawa or Michigan for any real riding.

Unless your a track rider ? Lake Geneva Wi., Sunset Ridge Walnut Il., Fox Valley Ottawa Il. (joke of a track), Buffalo Range has a nice size track, they are making improvements lately, shoud be decent Ottawa Il.

Greg (a.k.a LBZYZ426),

You never cease to amaze me with your delightful and detailed descriptions of certain tracks! I was going to be a bit more cordial if I replied but I think you got the point across nicely. ?

Bong is flat, rutted dusty or muddy nothing in between.

I had strayed off the trail one day down a gravel road and ended up with a $125 ticket that needed to be paid then or go to court. The signs that said keep out were not visible from the trail because of overgrown grass and bushes. This place is not worth anything. I think the State of Wis. allows riding at this dump to keep people out of the nice areas. ?

I rode my second MX ever at Bong in the summer of '74. They held like three races there that summer. To my knowledge they never repeated them. The cool part was that they also held MX bike drag races there on one of the runways.

For a newbie kid - it was pretty cool. ?