Sign in to follow this  

parents dilema.

I dont know what to do. I am 21 yrs old and I live with my parents in Santa Clarita and I dont have a riding buddy. so here is my dilema I joined TT in janurary to get tips and stuff from people but when i joined i saw that some of you guys get togeather and go riding at local places like jawbone or dove springs and you all have fun. I was talking with my dad about going riding with some of you guys sometime so i could find a riding buddy or a group to go with when you guys go. After talking with my dad he said to me that you dont know who those people are and that it wouldnt be a good idea to go even if you have a friend go with you. I have tried to get my friends to buy dirt bikes but they still are in school and dont want to buy one yet so i dont know what to do. I have also tried to get my cousins to buy a dirt bike or a quad so we could go riding but there all flakes so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas with a safe way to find a riding buddy. the only idea I had was to find out next time you guys are going out riding near my house like at jawbone or something and taking my parents with me because they have quads so they would have fun too just to show them that it is safe and that the people on here are not killers and that it would be fine but I just dont know :) Someone give me some advice

You're 21, not 12? I don't think I've ever met a psychotic dirtbiking murderer. Set a time and go ride.

Go by yourself and try to meet others. Ride carefully.

at 21 I dont think you (or your parents) have much to worry about... besides, at 21 do you really need your parents permission?

No but I still look up to them for advice. do you go with anyone here at TT out riding and were you kind of leary the first time.

No but I still look up to them for advice. do you go with anyone here at TT out riding and were you kind of leary the first time.

There's nothing wrong with being a little "leary" when meeting up with people you've never met to go riding. I met ALL of the people I currently ride with on TT and one other site. Like someone before me said, I've never met a pyschotic dirtbiking murderer. Set a time and go ride! You "pseudo" know a lot of folks here on TT. That has to count for something. Trust your instincts and go ride.

Of course, if your first ride is with 2bb to go looking for wild rattlesnakes or something, maybe you'd be better of taking your dad's advice. :)

Nope, I havent yet... been talking to several people in my area about getting a ride together soon though. I have met several other friends from online (including my wife) though, never had any problems :)

Come on, some local folks need to help this person out. It is obvious that they are sincere and need some riding partners. This is your opportunity to bring someone into the fold of the motorcycling world. Give something back to the sport. Who knows they could become a friend. Help to show their parents that we aren't all trouble.

I look for opportunities like this to get people more involved in riding.

Pigpen, if I were within 500 miles, I would hook up with you.

If you are not female, CUT THE CORD!!! :)

Gosh, even if you ARE female, at 21 yrs old that seems a little... intrusive, for want of a better word! :)

Anyway, I AM female, and when I lived in SoCal I met ALL KINDS of TTrs to ride with, and never had a problem! Most times I would meet them by myself, as well. Just take your own car, ride in a place you are familiar with, and make sure its a fairly large group until you get to know everyone better (odds are even if there is one 'weirdo' in the bunch, EVERYONE won't be a psycho, and there's safety in numbers, even among strangers!) Just because your parents are paranoid doesn't mean you have to be!

Oh, and I think here a little white lie won't hurt, either... tell them a friend is going or something. I normally don't advocate lying, but, for example, I always agree with my mom when she says stuff like "you're not riding that street bike on the expressway, are you?" "Of course not, mom!" Its worth the little lie if it helps her sleep at night! :D

Just to clear everything up I am a guy and i do apreciate all the advice you guys are giving me I am going to do that I am going to ask one of my friends or my uncle to go with me the first time and i can meet some people make some friends and then i can show my mom there is nothing to worry about.

I respect the fact fact that he/she respects there parents while they are living in their house. I am fairly local to you and every time we have put together a ride all the guys are top notch. Most of the rides are not quad freindly though but if they want to trek out to D.S. i'm pretty sure the guys would make accomodations. You might get better feedback as well if you post this in the southwest forum.

I respect the fact fact that he/she respects there parents while they are living in their house. I am fairly local to you and every time we have put together a ride all the guys are top notch. Most of the rides are not quad freindly though but if they want to trek out to D.S. i'm pretty sure the guys would make accomodations. You might get better feedback as well if you post this in the southwest forum.

thanks i have posted in the southwest forum also what areas do you ride savage? :)

I haven't met up with anybody myself yet either but mostly because I have (3) family members with bikes and a several (8-10) immediate co-workers. The other reason is I wouldn't want to embarras myself. I'm a novice at best and doubt I could keep up with most of the riders on this board...

I'd have to say though, the safest trip has to be one of the large gatherings. In November, we're going with a toy hauler group ( from www.openroads.com ). I've never met anybody there either but I figure I can't go wrong with agroup of 150+ people.

thanks i have posted in the southwest forum also what areas do you ride savage? :)

I hit up rowher and Drinkwater on a regular basis. Gorman, CAl city, Jawbone and D.S. I am wanting to put together a ride from D.S. to the Trona pinnacles in a couple of weeks when I get back from vacation. I need to figure out fuel distances though because I can only squeek out 80-90 miles on a tank. I'll let you know.

I am going to do that I am going to ask one of my friends or my uncle to go with me the first time and i can meet some people make some friends and then i can show my mom there is nothing to worry about.

not a bad idea. i have met a ton of people from internet ride forums (drn, ktmtalk and tt). without exception, they have all been truly excellent human beings. imho, you and your parents have absolutely nothing whatsoever to worry about.

i have found that the most skilled riders i have met were from ktmtalk. the most skilled beer-drinkers were tt members. if you're superskilled or superslow you might want to make sure you and your potential riding partners know what to expect.

point out to your folks that these aren't generally random people on TT. many people have been posting for years. they have ridden with other folks on tt who can vouch that they aren't cannibalistic murderers.

-mark

I dont ride MX and i am not a great rider I am still in the Beginner Intermediate catagorie because i dont like going up very steep hills i will go up hills just not ones like at jawbone that are like straight up and down hill climbs but i will go up hills anyway now that i got all you confused.