Sign in to follow this  

helmet safety story in motorcyclist

has anyone else read this yet. if your not a subscriber go to your newsstand and buy this months issue. the point of the article is that dot only helmets may be safer in the vast majority of accidents than snell helmets.

I read it. I was always fearful of molded plastic helmets, and stuck with fiberglass based ones.

That article certainly opened my eyes some.

I am comfortable with my off road helmet. But after reading that article, I am replacing my old full face road helmet. Shouldn't be a problem now that I know I don't have to spend a ton for the best protection.

I am comfortable with my off road helmet. But after reading that article, I am replacing my old full face road helmet. Shouldn't be a problem now that I know I don't have to spend a ton for the best protection.

Exactly. The article certainly gave me some thinking to do when I replace my streeter.

So as long as a helmet is DOT and Snell rated it doesn't matter if it costs $100 or $500, they both offer the same protection?

So as long as a helmet is DOT and Snell rated it doesn't matter if it costs $100 or $500, they both offer the same protection?

no, in many instances apparently the snell offers less protection, cause they have to make the styrofoam too stiff to pass snells test. this causes your head to experiance significantly higher g's than the softer helmets that are engineered to only meet DOT specs.

Oh, I'm sorry. I spaced.

So, DOT is the way to go regardless of price then.

I wonder who makes a DOT (only) helmet for off-road.