Completed S to E Gasket MOD!!!!

Well, I did it! Over the weekend I tour my engine apart and Completed the the E base gasket mod and put on a new set of piston rings. It took most of the weekend, but I worked slow and tediously. I labeled all the parts and put them in zip lock bags and meticulously cleaned the Head, cylinder and piston. Assembly was a little tricky with trying to compress the rings by hand and slipping the cylinder skirt over the piston, but it was pretty easy going after that.

I dropped in some 100% petroleum motor oil and followed the break in procedures covered on this board. Man O'Man, the beast fired right up with a push of the button. Sounded perfect!!! I took her out for a quick bop and revved the piss out of her!!! She pulls like crazy now,.. you can definitely feel the difference :D?:D

I couldn't stop smileing! :worthy::D:D

I definitely recommend this mod.. It teaches you allot about the mechanics of your bike,.. And it definitely gives you a great feeling of accomplishment completing an engine over haul like this :thumbs up: !

Thanks to Burned, Bronco, and jsuhr for providing and responding to the threads I used! ?

MOD's completed so far:

3x3 airbox and jetting mod

Yosh Full Comp Exhuast

E base gasket

Dave

Did mine over the winter - I agree - great change.

You could have saved yourself some grief by putting the piston into the cylinder on the bench and then taking this to the motor and installing the piston pin and clip. Makes assembly much easier. I wasn't sure how this would work until I asked on this forum. The piston and ring pressure keeps the cylinder from moving while you install the pin and clip.

Didn't it feel weird installing the new rings and breaking it in by driving the living @#$% out of it? I know I felt a little strange.

Because once rings are removed from the cylinder they expand back out and then need to be recompressed, they are generally not design to do this and can develop cracks.

That being said, many people have done it with no problems. I might do it for a special reason like to save a really important ride, but not just to save a few bucks.

When we raced claimer engines, rings were always replaced as cheap insurance.

So - what kind of power does this give you?

Raises compression - so higher octane can be used?

Is it like 1HP or like 5HP?

Just curious...

Having not dynoed a before and after base gasket swap.. Who really knows.. But like all other mods on a small CC motor,, it's not about the difference the individual mods make. It's the total of the package.

Having not dynoed a before and after base gasket swap.. Who really knows.. But like all other mods on a small CC motor,, it's not about the difference the individual mods make. It's the total of the package.
Well put! The sum of the parts together makes the machine not just one mod.

right but when ever you make your car/bike faster after a bit you get use to the power. So i wonder if after you get use to your bike with a 3x3 would you feel about the same increase in power as you did with the 3x3 , will with the gasket swap? Or is it even better ??

I dont really care about the numbers, but I can definetly feel the difference. Other then that,.. I think its a great mod just becuase you get to tear apart your engine and have a blast doing it. It's an awesome learning experiance!

And also, there's nothing like sitting in your garage(actually my brother's), drinking a few beers and working on your bike. ?

I was thinking about it!!!,,.. but where do you get race gas? I ride my bike constantly and would limit my travel distance if I had to refuel at the house all the time

There is something about this mod I am confused about. When I look at my 03S, the gasket at the base of the cylinder (where it connects to the top of the crank case) looks very thin. My understanding of this mod is you are increasing compression by lowering the cylinder and head by installing a thinner gasket here. But the gasket as seen from the exterior of the motor looks so thin. It does not seem like the cylinder would be dropped by much if this gasket was completely removed.

I am felling stupid so please tell me what I am missing. ?

I looked also - are we talking about a micron difference in size or what?

Hard to comprehend that it will do anything - I believe it probably does, but just a hard one to grasp..

Then again - its a really short stroke, and small combustion chamber to begin with.