Broken collarbone people please help

Well 5 weeks ago I broke my clavicle near the shoulder its healing fine overlaped of course but fine. I went to the doc last Thursday and he told me to throw away the sling and start doing more with that arm, he even said I could start using light free weights ( no more than 3 or 4 lbs ). Well there is no pain at all in the bone only the muscles, I even went out riding for about 45min I even threw in a couple of small jumps, everything felt fine. There is still some movement and a little popping at the break but nothing painfull, Ive read on here and other sites that this is pretty normal.

However, what I have never seen any where is my main problem. Since day one of the break my bicep has been flaccid I have not been able to flex it at all, the doc kind of blew me off and said it was normal seeing as I am able do a curl with light weight, but even when I do a curl the bicep flexs very little to not at all, its the only muscle that does that, my tricep, shoulder, traps, and forearm all flex like normal, not as strong as before the break, but they still flex, and I have some decent sized muscles. I also have pain in my forearm since day one that the doc said was a nerve and should heal with time.

So if anyone else has had these probems or knows someone who has please let me know to ease my mind a little my next doc appointment isnt until june 2.

BTW I broke it while riding my quad I hit a small jump that Ive hit a hundred times, but this time somehow I ended up going over the handlebars landing on the top and side of my shoulder as the quad fliped over and landed directly on me seat and handlebars first. Not really sure exactly how it happened, been riding for years, doing that jump for months.

You have muscle atrophy. If you could not flex at all, you couldn't bend your arm at all. Though I am kind of surprised that the degree of atrophy you are describing is so severe in that amount of time.

While there are other things that can be done, the best thing to do is exactly what the doctor said. Full range of motion exercises only (without hyper extension). Light weights and lots of reps. Start doing curls, sitting is better as you want to really isolate the bicep, and do them until you can't do anymore. Do not increase weight at all unless the Doc tells you otherwise. I would do this twice a day unless you were told otherwise, and no more.

It will take a lot of time and patience. You may also want to dry applying moist heat (think hot water soaked towels) by wrapping your bicep/tricep completely a few times a day to promote circulation/blood flow.

It's not muscular atrophy. You have neuromuscular damage as a result of your fall. Although lateral-third fractures account for only 10-15% of clavicle fractures, they are associated with the highest risk for neurovascular complications.

What you have described is suggestive of a traction injury to the brachial plexus (a network of nerves located in the neck that supply the chest, shoulder, and arm). The forceful separation of the head and shoulder that occured during your accident probably resulted in injury to the C5-C7 spinal roots and corresponding nerves. In particular, the musculocutaneous nerve that innervates the coracobrachialis, biceps and brachialis (elbow flexors) and provides for cutaneous sensation of the lateral forearm.

You may want to lay off of the curls for a while and allow the nerves to regenerate on their own. Performing curls will further traction the nerve. But, as always, check with your doctor.

Wow C3H603 I had to read that 3 times just to kind of understand that. I was going to say that after breaking my collar bone, I had no strength in my arm, found squeezing a tennis ball was great therapy.

Well I did a search on the neuromuscular damage and didn't really find much, but I'm going to bring it up to the doc at next appointment. I also laid off the curls since I wasn't feeling anything in my bicep I mostly felt it in my forearm and a little in my outer part of my bicep the inside part of the bicep still feels flaccid, another thing, I was massaging the inside part of my bicep today and started to get sharp pains in it as well as some cramping, I don't know if thats a good thing since it is some signs of life or if its a bad thing seeing as I wasn't even massaging with hardly any pressure.

And Agent2 did you lose strength immediately after the break, and if so how long till it came back, my break happend 6 weeks ago this Sunday.

It was a compound fracture - the bone was sticking about 2 inches out. Yes, I had no strength or feeling in my arm. After a month and a half I started to do light excercise and was scared by the fact that I had no strength in my arm or no grip strength. My neighbour had broken his collarbone before and told me not to worry, gave me a tennis ball to squeeze, and told me to use it for therapy. Slowly, I started to get the strength back.

As I said, it sounds like C3H603 knows what he is talking about. Check with your doctor to see if you are eligable for some physical therapy. You didn't say your age but I am assuming you are young. That works in your favor. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey man that's sad to hear, hope you recovered w/o any prob.

Last week it happenned to me too, I cased a 50 foot double and felt on my right shoulder, the result was a broken collarbone plus my left wrist broke too. :D

I went to the doc, he did some x-rays on my clavicle, it's pretty bad actually other than nothing is sticking out from the skin. The collarbone is in 4 pieces...I've got a freakin big bump and the doc says it's normal.

He doesnt want to any surgery on it right now to prevent infection.

All I have is a little sling to hold my arm, nothing else. Did you have something else to hold yours????

I'm a bit worried about my doc, i'm not pretending he's wrong but as far as my bones were, they're not gonna heal properly...he says they gonna lined up, nothing has moved yet.

If I knew how to post picture I could show you the x-rays.

?

I also laid off the curls since I wasn't feeling anything in my bicep I mostly felt it in my forearm and a little in my outer part of my bicep the inside part of the bicep still feels flaccid,.

Couple of questions-

First, when you're talking about your curls are you doing dumbell curls or a barbell?

If dumbell-

1) Are you lifting the same amount with your bad arm as with your good? (just checking to see what you're up to)

2) When you're doing your Bicep Curl (flex) have you got the palms of your hands facing up the entire lift?

& 3) if so, watch as you curl. Is the bad arm trying to rotate?

• 5 years later...

Hi, I'm doing bodybuilding..going in the gym and working out and stuff. recently I got into a motorcycle accident..Fractured my clavicle and went ahead with the surgery..Just want to know how may months or years will it take to completely heal. Or can I go back to the gym..Thanks..

never seen any where is my main problem. Since day one of the break my bicep has been flaccid I have not been able to flex it at all,

So if anyone else has had these probems or knows someone who has please let me know to ease my mind a little my next doc appointment isnt until june 2.

June 2nd too far away...I'm with C3H603 as far as diagnosis goes - I would show up at the ortho office first thing in the am. Be sweet and tell the ladies at the desk that you have an appointment June 2nd but can't flex the bicep and that you are worried about nerve damage. Ask to speak to your Dr's Nurse - she can definately find you an earlier appointment. You can talk to the nurse over the phone but personal is better. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,Good day to you all! kinda new here. Well, I'm just wondering? I broke my clavicle last January 10, and let them put a plate and screw on my fractured clavicle last january 18 it was successful so I think. How many years would it take to completely heal? And I'm kinda doing workout from now and then don't know if I can get back or will I ever be doing bench press etc..once it's completely healed? Need advice doc? Thanks!

• 8 years later...

Hey, I realize this post is from 2005 but I had the EXACT same issue and this is literally the only place i have found that describes my same symptoms. I have broken my collarbone in 4 places, got surgery, and have a completely flaccid bicep. I got a nerve conduction study done and it is in fact the musculocutaneous nerve. Doc says itll recover with lots of time.

I know it's a longshot but if you happen to see this, how did it turn out? Did your bicep come back? How long did it take?