denro

Which of these bikes is your primary ride?  

4331 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these bikes is your primary ride?

• XR650R
    • XR650L
    • XR600R
    • XL600
    • Other XL/XR

I've been posting here for a few months now, but haven't posted a full photo of my 1979 XR500.  Primarily, because it has been in pieces, slowly becoming road/trail worthy.  The bike was free from a buddy, and almost every part was worn out completely - but it ran!  It's not done yet, but I've got it to a point where I can ride it around without drama.  Thanks to many members of TT for advice with the repairs and upgrades!

11324460_730549087056958_2043182139_n.jp

• Like 4

Road crew that's a good looking bike. They don't make em like they used to. Lots of $$$ invested?

Thanks! I think there's about $1k into it at this point - Mainly in consumable parts, a new stator and dc charging system for the big light, and machine shop work to get the new front end (90s dr650) to fit.  I've had generous assistance from friends in the local vin moto club, in the form of spare parts and electrical work.  The transmission, front end, and a set of tires were all swapped for beer.

I'm new to TT and have an '87 XR600R. I understand having piston at top for the kick start. I also put choke on 1/2 (first click). Now, should I give in some throttle while starting? I appreciate the help. I love to ride this pig, but a bear to start. Rummy

• Like 1

I'm new to TT and have an '87 XR600R. I understand having piston at top for the kick start. I also put choke on 1/2 (first click). Now, should I give in some throttle while starting? I appreciate the help. I love to ride this pig, but a bear to start. Rummy

Hi Rummy.  Welcome. ?

I dont think you should give it gas when starting it. I have an 86 that kicks back if given gas when starting. Not a fun thing to have happen. It can break you foot.  I just turn on the choke and start kicking. If its hard to start that way you probably need to clean your carb.  

Its funny you asked this because I just came here to post a video of my friend on my 86 XR600R getting kick back. I made this video a couple days ago.  We had just pulled the carbs on the 86, pulled out and cleaned the jets and got it starting much better.  I left my video camera running on a tripod and was going to video me starting my 97 XR.   My friend took off on the orange 86 in the background and it stalls out.  I wish I was zoomed in on him but if you pay attention you can see and hear the kick back.  He learned not to give it gas when kicking it a couple months ago after a big kick back hurt but did not break his foot. I think while trying to get out of the road he accidentally gave it gas while kicking it and caused another kick back.  

Check this out. Make it full screen and watch the guy in the background. You can hear it too.

Edited by B.Mauser

• 2 weeks later...