denro

Which of these bikes is your primary ride?  

4331 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these bikes is your primary ride?

• XR650R
    • XR650L
    • XR600R
    • XL600
    • Other XL/XR

I've got another camp weekend to post some shots of Ryan and I but first I must declare my love for my good ole XR and wanted to post a before and after. I bought this old hammered and street plated 93 xr600 4 years ago as a cheap way to get back into riding dirt and a fun commuter.  I had plans on rebuilding it so the condition was actually exactly what I was looking for. She's got a 450x front end and a FCR carb along with a JE 100mm piston and a hotcams cam. I've rebuilt the rear shock and removed some rebound shims and upped the fluid viscosity. I was lucky enough to scrounge another wheelset for commuting so I can always have some knobbies ready for weekends. This bike has been more versatile than anything I could find anywhere for any price! She absolutely rocks in the offroad, we have baffled many of my riding buddies in the tight singletrack and they all love watching the big old xr getting tossed around at speed . I freaking love my bike and she goes with me to my grave ! ? I would love to see more "before and afters" along with any info on the story. Heres my before and after and then some pictures from a couple weekends ago. Cheers to the XR!

I always get so jealous seeing all the insane off road riding you guys can do where you live. Riding a bike offroad is illegal here (The Netherlands), we have some tracks and you can run around on a patch of your own land, but we don't have mountains (highest point is 300m/1000feet above sea level), so its just B-roads, highways, a field or a track.

Amazing pictures! Would love to ride in Australia, I've been and will come back with a license, so there will be riding!

Which headlight is that?

It was a eBay purchase. If you search universal enduro headlight you should be able to find it. If I remember it was around $30 shipped. I haven't had a chance to ride in the dark yet so I can't say how well it works.

King of the XRs....

Found myself one 09/00 build so 2001 on the floor...2 PO reasonably maintained but you never know...

I gave her a plastic make over including a Clarke tank, alloy protective bits and some chinese radiators...

Sensational to finally open the throttle on the back roads...got me to the top of the ridge to take this photo more than a little quicker than my XR2.5...[emoji15]

BTW anyone in Oz after some plastics, IMS 17L tank or a Staintune muffler to suit the 650R pm me...

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1462251581.997277.jpg

Edited by Gripo

I always get so jealous seeing all the insane off road riding you guys can do where you live. Riding a bike offroad is illegal here (The Netherlands), we have some tracks and you can run around on a patch of your own land, but we don't have mountains (highest point is 300m/1000feet above sea level), so its just B-roads, highways, a field or a track.

Amazing pictures! Would love to ride in Australia, I've been and will come back with a license, so there will be riding!

no off-road, bro you have to get out there ☺.

83 XL600R  83 XR500R forks and rear shock. Motor has 102.4mm piston, 148-x12 megacycle cam, ported and polished head,  5 angle valve job, Carrillo rod, balanced and trued crank, lightened flywheel, replaced head bolts with studs, replaced factory carbs with dual Lectrons, I plan on changing exhaust to a down pipes system. I'm going to strip it down this winter and repaint the frame and paint the side plastic.

1463188799710.jpg

Edited by JJNelson
  • Like 1

📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1463098250.382882.jpg

Good ol' '88... SuperTrapp muffler, throttle rocker, 6.6kg rear spring and shock rebuild by topgunmotorcycles, progressive fork springs, givi junior box mount and I've since added a master cylinder guard, sw-motech skid plate, extra side racks and some non-dot pirelli knobbies [emoji41].

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/19-klxklr-600650/ 

Hi all this is my pig 1986 xr600r been working on her for the last year on & off trying to build my own supermoto out of her. Not everyone's cup of tea but its what i wanted.

The first mock up with the wheels n forks done.

Then hours off cutting metal making things fit & bodywork.

1 (27).jpg

286.JPG

• Like 1