• Announcements

• Bryan Bosch

NEW SITE FEATURE   09/19/2017

Checkout the ThumperTalk Photo Gallery! Share a single photo, create your own album, or just checkout what others have shared.

Which of these bikes is your primary ride?   3,797 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these bikes is your primary ride?

• XR650R
    • XR650L
    • XR600R
    • XL600
    • Other XL/XR

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4,382 posts in this topic

freeadd1

Custom made mods by the previous owner. There is also a bash plate with intergrated water tank. The wind screen is my work. Keeps the wind and water off your chest andthrows it right in your face! Next mission is an oil cooler.

Try this:

Image0176.jpg

Image0177.jpg

Image0175.jpg

Wow, that's a rough looking bike!!

uh... I think it needs some paint stripper and some love :smirk:

but it's an XR, I bet it runs like new :p

:p

no it dont, it looks a mint:thumbsup:

Just became a BRP owner for the first time tonight. Picked up a relatively low hours '01, and plan on dual sporting it when the new, more lenient laws take effect here in Washington state in 2012.

9037.jpg

I'm a little concerned how the thing will handle the dense woods around here, but I rode a CR500 through the same woods for years when everyone said that couldn't be done, so I hope it won't give me too much grief. Gave up my '06 YZ450 as part of this project, and if the BRP proves too much of a handful in the tight stuff, I'm going to augment it with a cheap two-smoke 250 for that duty.

9039.jpg

Other than the tank, and unplugged exhaust, I think it's pretty stock, though it has been uncorked. I'm going to look and see how un-corked though.

I've wanted one of these for YEARS and am tickled to have one. Now I just need to find the time to try it out.

but it's an XR, I bet it runs like new :p

Mmmm paint stripper on plastic. Almost as good an idea as painting plastic in the first place. 47000miles, one top end rebuild, rebore piston valves etc, one CDI resolder(thanks Brian H), starts first compression every morning for commutes to work or trips away. Sure is a pig to pick up if you drop it in a creek. These bikes are few and far between in New Zealand. Nice to know there are a few more around the world.

Mmmm paint stripper on plastic. Almost as good an idea as painting plastic in the first place. 47000miles, one top end rebuild, rebore piston valves etc, one CDI resolder(thanks Brian H), starts first compression every morning for commutes to work or trips away. Sure is a pig to pick up if you drop it in a creek. These bikes are few and far between in New Zealand. Nice to know there are a few more around the world.

woop woop another Kiwi:banana: which part of NZ are you in

Auckland, Mt Wellington based. Commute to Otara work days. Regular trips to Orere point for weekends and a play on the beach and across the river to the rocks. How about you?

Just became a BRP owner for the first time tonight. Picked up a relatively low hours '01, and plan on dual sporting it when the new, more lenient laws take effect here in Washington state in 2012.

9037.jpg

I'm a little concerned how the thing will handle the dense woods around here, but I rode a CR500 through the same woods for years when everyone said that couldn't be done, so I hope it won't give me too much grief. Gave up my '06 YZ450 as part of this project, and if the BRP proves too much of a handful in the tight stuff, I'm going to augment it with a cheap two-smoke 250 for that duty.

9039.jpg

Other than the tank, and unplugged exhaust, I think it's pretty stock, though it has been uncorked. I'm going to look and see how un-corked though.

I've wanted one of these for YEARS and am tickled to have one. Now I just need to find the time to try it out.

I owned and rode a ’98 CR500R from new until 2 years ago when I unfortunately sold it due to lack of riding areas due to the fact I was living in metro Seattle area. Well we ended up buying a home in the Camas/Washougal area and are only a few miles from the Larch Mt./Jones Creek riding area so I specifically found a plated 2001 XR650R to be able to ride from my home to the trails. I ride 80% single track and was concerned that the bike would be a hand full due the increased weight (I have the Sahara tank 6.3 gal) but after 250 miles of hard single track I can say you will love this bike. It feels surprisingly nimble for it’s size and weight. I was going to buy 250 for back up as well but now that I have some time on this bike I realize there is no need as this BRP seems to do it all really well (it does shred rear tires but that might be partly my fault!).

Enjoy your new bike you will like it the more you ride it …

Mike :eek:

Edited by completelymobile
added info

Auckland, Mt Wellington based. Commute to Otara work days. Regular trips to Orere point for weekends and a play on the beach and across the river to the rocks. How about you?

Hamilton, most riding out along the west coast kawhia portwaikato etc.

Are you on kiwi biker? great to see another kiwi XR, theres 2 or us here in Hams we normally ride together:ride:

Does anyone know where i could find myself a 650R in or around Minnesota?

There are two for sale on craigslist right now.......:eek: (Twins Cities Metro)

I believe both are street plated........

If you want to ride it on the road make sure it's already plated. I believe in recent years MN has made it much harder to plate "dirt bikes." No worries with the L though.

Reaper

My new PIG.....

Back in 1986 I wanted a Honda but I was overseas and the only bike I could get was a 1986 XT600...........

My son wanted to start trail riding so I found him a CRF70....

And I found this clean '86............Needs a new front tire, dry rot and a bolt and insulator washer on the exhaust.

Starts one kick, hot or cold!

DSCN0097.jpg

DSCN0101.jpg

DSCN0102.jpg

DSCN0103.jpg

DSCN0104.jpg

DSCN0117.jpg

The Pig sporting a new tail light, numbers, and 14/48 gearing.

She must have been feeling pretty spry today; she threw me hard into the dirt at the clay pit. There were some new rain ruts at the very top of a steep incline that I slowed to avoid and I allowed the engine to die on me. It was the wrong place to be with no forward momentum and no motor. I fell hard right, back down the incline with the bike above me. No real harm done to me or the Pig, but when I finally got the bike down the hill, I looked back up the trail, winced, tucked my tail and rode home.

Sorry for the poor quality cell phone pictures.

IMG-20110813-00026.jpg

IMG-20110813-00023.jpg

IMG-20110813-00024.jpg