• Announcements

• Brian Wilson

Any iOS app devs in the house that can provide a little help?   10/17/2017

We've been working on a new native app build for TT using a 3rd party's code base.  If we have any apple devs in the house that can help me generate the proper adhoc certificates and load them up into x-code, please shoot me a PM.  I have the full source code of the test version of the app. I just need some help building the required certificates and installing them into the app via x-code.  Please shoot me a PM if you'd be willing to lend a hand. https://thumpertalk.com/messenger/compose/?to=2

Which of these bikes is your primary ride?   3,801 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these bikes is your primary ride?

• XR650R
    • XR650L
    • XR600R
    • XL600
    • Other XL/XR

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4,405 posts in this topic

The intake valve decomp was only used on the early XL, 83and 4 I think.  later ones used the exhaust valve depressor hooked to the kickstart and the lever.  I decommissioned the kick release on mine and gave the cable to another inmate who wanted it.

I would just weld the hole shut.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453780286.238195.jpg Not a great picture but cleaned it while it's above zero. It was pretty dark and my hose was leaking everywhere so it was just a quick spray down
2 people like this

83 XL600R 01 XR650L, recently sold the XL which I regret.  XL was stock besides full XR's Only exhaust and Rick's stator.  XR has EBC oversize front rotor, new wave rear rotor, stainless steel brake lines front and rear, larger rear sprocket (swapping for stock this spring), DG exhaust, painted hubs and wheels, bash guard, XR's only temp dipstick, and got rid of that horrible tail light assembly.  

12243307_10204922757612526_6724031114554960325_n.jpg

12239697_10204922756692503_7465220406022892375_n.jpg

photo (5).JPG

Edited by Wrforte
1 person likes this

83 XL600R 01 XR650L, recently sold the XL which I regret.  XL was stock besides full XR's Only exhaust and Rick's stator.  XR has EBC oversize front rotor, new wave rear rotor, stainless steel brake lines front and rear, larger rear sprocket (swapping for stock this spring), DG exhaust, painted hubs and wheels, bash guard, XR's only temp dipstick, and got rid of that horrible tail light assembly.  

Nice XL, I bet you do miss it! I just rebuilt an '86 XL600 and I'm thinking of upgrading the exhaust. Would you recommend the the XRs Only pipe? How did it effect the performance?

Nice XL, I bet you do miss it! I just rebuilt an '86 XL600 and I'm thinking of upgrading the exhaust. Would you recommend the the XRs Only pipe? How did it effect the performance?

Yeah man, I miss it a lot.  I think the XL has better throttle response and is a better ride on paved road but the rear disc and electric start on the XR is a dream.  The XR's only muffler will work with a stock header but the XR's only header will only work with an XR only muffler.  I think this is only for XL's, XR's can use either/or, I believe.  Talk to Tommy at XR's only, he knows his stuff and he gave me the info regarding fit for XL's.  With that being said, you'd have to buy the complete exhaust for your bike.  It sounds great and looks really nice, I can't comment on the gains in performance because the bike already had the muffler and OE header on it when I bought it, I purchased the XR's only header.  The previous owner rejetted the carb for the muffler, but I don't know how necessary that is.  My plugs were always clean.  If you have the money, buy it.  Lighter, sounds better, and looks great (header gets some nice color).  The header gets damn hot though.

I'm new to TT and have an '87 XR600R. I understand having piston at top for the kick start. I also put choke on 1/2 (first click). Now, should I give in some throttle while starting? I appreciate the help. I love to ride this pig, but a bear to start. Rummy

Bring that piston a little past TDC before you kick it.

Hello again,

Here's another pict of my new 5.8 gal tank.................LOVE the extended range.

IMG_20150704_123755853_HDR_zps6oeaxjj0.j

Best regards

Eric

You have to reroute the petcock?

1 person likes this

Yesterday was the first sunny ish day in a couple weeks to get out and play. My friend Ryan and I headed up into the santa cruz mountains (first pic you can see the ocean). Mostly was road but there was a little dirt to play in.

20160131_152424_zps4edui8rh.jpg

20160131_153511_zpsqqoh6aiz.jpg

20160131_155034_zps0zyr4s49.jpg

20160131_153547_zpsor2twwct.jpg

imagejpeg_0_zpstbfvc5si.jpg

20160131_164947_zpsmt7au1fo.jpg

6 people like this

Right now I'm deciding if I want to complete this CR500 suspension swap.

CR500 forks/triple mated with stock bearings.

CR500 swingarm and linkage will require some modification and fabrication to finish and I'm not even sure the geometry will work right.

Please excuse the mirrored picture and messy garage.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1455255449.197343.jpg

Edited by a_randy_sewer
1 person likes this