xr100 bogging HELP

when i start my xr100 it starts great with the choke switch down (i think that is off) and if i give it any gas it just seems to bogg down and will cut off. i then put the choke on the half way position and it runs great for about 5 minutes before it starts bogging again and is very hard to start. does anyone know what the problem could be?

thanks

Could be about 2 dozen or more issues. Then the number one thing for me is to check the pilot, blow it out with compressed air. Then if you have a points ignition, I would start checking that. But things like water in the gas would do it, bad plug, plug cap, ground wire, valves, etc.

ill check the pilot tomorrow. im not sure what a points ignition is...im sure its not water in the gas. the spark plug is new but is oily everytime i take it out. i posted about a week ago about that and was told to get new valves but didnt because i found that something was stuck in the carburator and after i removed it the bike worked fine.

so im guessing its the valves. i dont know what a valve looks like or where it is on the engine. ill look in my repair manual tonight.

hey, i just took apart the carb. i dont have much experience with this type of stuff as this is only the second time iv seen the inside of a carburator. it looks to me like the jet in between the floats that is the shortest is clogged (i took it out and i cant blow or see through it) . i dont know how to clean it but i tried sticking a needle in it but i think the needle is too fat and now i have sprayed it with gumont carb cleaner and am waiting to see if it helps.

could this jet be my problem?

is there an easy way to clean it?

thanks

I just cleaned mine with a piece of lamp cord, strip it back about 3/4" and twist 2-3 strands together. if it's an old carb you might need a new jet because it's about impossible to get years of dried out varnished gas with today's wimpy cleaners.

mark

i cleaned the jet enough so that i could see through it and put it back in. the bike works perfect now when the choke is on half and with choke off it boggs after 2/3 throttle. im going to take the jet out again and let my dad who is a dentist clean it with a ultrasonic cleaner. he thinks it will work.

is this jet called the pilot jet or is that the tall jet?

i have a question for all of you guys replying to this... i'm dealing with a 1981 CT70 and the bike will start and run perfect while in neutral. you can give it gas and it will rev high and not have a problem, but the minute you shift into first and give it gas to go, it starts to bog down. it will run in first and go through the gears only if you open the throttle slowly and only open it a little. sometimes we'll get a loud backfire. i know that sounds like an air to fuel problem, but i dont know what else to do. checked the carb, everything in it is fine, air filter is fine, etc. what's the next thing to check?

i have a question for all of you guys replying to this... i'm dealing with a 1981 CT70 and the bike will start and run perfect while in neutral. you can give it gas and it will rev high and not have a problem, but the minute you shift into first and give it gas to go, it starts to bog down. it will run in first and go through the gears only if you open the throttle slowly and only open it a little. sometimes we'll get a loud backfire. i know that sounds like an air to fuel problem, but i dont know what else to do. checked the carb, everything in it is fine, air filter is fine, etc. what's the next thing to check?

Backfire with old Honda's usually means ignition problems. Which could be a headache.

Sounds like points and a timing issure... when it revs up under a load (in gear) the timing is off (not advancing enough). Does the bike have flyweights behind the points plate to advance the ignition?

Check the condition of the points... gap and contacts... make sure they are not pitted... then check to verify timing... whether it has some type of advance mechanism or whatever...

Also check the slow jet in the carb... things have a tendency to start running badly when you let them sit...

Has it been sitting around and not getting ridden?