Do You Know Of A Liquid Cooled Street Legal Dual Sport With Electric Start?

Does anyone on here know where a guy can go to get a good street legal four stroke dual sport with electric start and liquid cooling?

I want something 4 stroke and at least 400cc but not a DRZ400SE, been there done that and moved on (too front end/top heavy)

What I am looking for is a light weight, liquid cooled, electric start dual sport that I can license in California. I have a 1999 WR400 and would just add the electric start to it if it were cost effective. What the heck at this point I would buy a used WR250/450 if it has electric start and a legitimate California plate on it.

I know very little about KTM, ATK, VOR or Husqvarna but would consider one if it is manufactured for street use. What Manufacture/model should I be looking for?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone on here know where a guy can go to get a good street legal four stroke dual sport with electric start and liquid cooling?

I want something 4 stroke and at least 400cc but not a DRZ400SE, been there done that and moved on (too front end/top heavy)

What I am looking for is a light weight, liquid cooled, electric start dual sport that I can license in California. I have a 1999 WR400 and would just add the electric start to it if it were cost effective. What the heck at this point I would buy a used WR250/450 if it has electric start and a legitimate California plate on it.

I know very little about KTM, ATK, VOR or Husqvarna but would consider one if it is manufactured for street use. What Manufacture/model should I be looking for?

I don't know exactly what you are looking for???? but, ... I ride a F-650GSA BMW... electric start, single cylinder, 650 CC's, liquid cooled, fuel injected, Supertrappe can, with ABS brakes .... Very nice machine

Carl

Well since you live in Kalifornistan, you have one choice, and you ruled that out. Good luck with your quest. ?

Well since you live in Kalifornistan, you have one choice, and you ruled that out. Good luck with your quest. ?

I suggest you go down to the beach and start looking for a lamp. When you find it, start rubbing. If a genie comes out, you're in luck.

Sounds like you're a little hard to please. :D

Look at the KTM LC640. The LC means liquid cooling. You can check the KTM website by going to http://www.ktmusa.com and getting more info on it. I have a buddy thta owns one. It looks like a dirt bike made road legal.

It looks like the KTM EXC 450 is the winner with a 6 speed tranny on top of all my other requirements, Now all I need to do is find one with a CA plate on it... ?

It looks like the KTM EXC 450 is the winner with a 6 speed tranny on top of all my other requirements, Now all I need to do is find one with a CA plate on it... :D

Now, where was that genie? ?

Good luck, I hope you find it, if you find a pair I want one. ?

Doug

this is what you are looking for

http://ymedc.introweb.nl/en/archive/enduro/xt660_2004.shtml

too bad they aren't offering them in the USA just yet.

Make some noise in Yamaha's ear and they could bring it over. It worked for the FJR1300.

That's a 363 lb bike DRY. and it doesn't look near as dirt worthy as the DRZ looks to more in the KLR or DR650 class.

I don't think this guy knows what he wants or what he has riddin for that matter. There is no DRZ400SE There are four models of the DRZ S (street) E (Offroad) SM (SuperMoto) K (Kicker) The SE is a totally different bike it comes in a 200 and a 650 both are air cooled. Altough I have seen it done you're not going to catch me trying any serious off road riding on an DR650SE.

I hate to say it, but drop the liquid-cooling requirement and get an XR650L.

New springs, fork-brace, put it on the 30lbs diet, do the mods, there's always a hop-up kit if you want more power, and that sucker will run forever in the desert or on the road or on a tight rock-root-cliff infested new-england trail. Or a hawaiian lava field for that matter!

A B enduro pace on an L isn't too hard to do- more work than a light dirt bike, but not too bad. You just have to learn how to use the weight to stomp the rocks into submission.

If you don't like it, you'll find plenty of willing buyers!

Dave

Check out the KTM 525EXC. Liquid cooled, E-start, power to spare and only 250lbs.

I just called a guy with a 2002 CA plated KTM mxc 520 with an exc tank on it but he is asking $6,200 and said he will not go lower than 6k. I looked up the book value and it was only $4,300! He knows that it is a commodity and someone (like me) might pay that much for it. The converted dual sports are pricing like the real estate around here, my $130,000 house is now worth $285,000 two years later. I haven't ridden any KTM's but from its spec sheet the 520 mxc or 525 exc is what I am looking for...

What would you do? :D?

I just called a guy with a 2002 CA plated KTM mxc 520 with an exc tank on it but he is asking $6,200 and said he will not go lower than 6k. I looked up the book value and it was only $4,300! He knows that it is a commodity and someone (like me) might pay that much for it. The converted dual sports are pricing like the real estate around here, my $130,000 house is now worth $285,000 two years later. I haven't ridden any KTM's but from its spec sheet the 520 mxc or 525 exc is what I am looking for...

What would you do? :D?

Geee , I dunno ................... Oh yeah, i sold my pig XRL (had three of them,WITH all the WEIGHT savings mods) bought a DRZ S for the plate and a MXC 525 for general dirt a$$ kickin. I'm not sorry. ?

I don't think this guy knows what he wants or what he has riddin for that matter. There is no DRZ400SE There are four models of the DRZ S (street) E (Offroad) SM (SuperMoto) K (Kicker) The SE is a totally different bike it comes in a 200 and a 650 both are air cooled. Altough I have seen it done you're not going to catch me trying any serious off road riding on an DR650SE.

Not true. My 2003 DR 400 was an "SE" model, "S" for street and "E" for the electric start. They did make them in 2003, check it out...

http://www.motorbikes.be/en/search.aspx?search=dr

I do know what I want and I know what I have ridden. Just because they don't make an SE now doesn't mean that they never did.

If you don't know about something you can look it up on line before you say something thats not true(in an attempt to make me look stupid). Thumper talk is a place to share knowledge not misconceptions. If you don't know what I want or how to help me then just don't reply. Why would you try to make it sound like I am ignorant, just say nothing if you can't help.