carburetor removal / jetting advice

Guys - my bike (03 YZ450F) seemed to be running lean with a lot of popping and backfiring so I installed the JD Jet Kit. Blue needle 3rd clip, 170 main, and the stock 42 pilot. Now, I can't get the bike to start ? I went completely back to stock and it still won't start. I made sure the gas is fresh, new, plug, fuel line connected but can't get 'er going.

My first thought is that I possibly have dirt in the carb somewhere. In order to clean the carb, do I need to take it completely apart? I'm concerned with disconnecting the wires.... is that necessary? what do you suggest?

Also, if I hold in the hot start lever it will turn over for a second... does that mean it is too rich? Any suggestions?...

Guys - my bike (03 YZ450F) seemed to be running lean with a lot of popping and backfiring so I installed the JD Jet Kit. Blue needle 3rd clip, 170 main, and the stock 42 pilot. Now, I can't get the bike to start ? I went completely back to stock and it still won't start. I made sure the gas is fresh, new, plug, fuel line connected but can't get 'er going.

My first thought is that I possibly have dirt in the carb somewhere. In order to clean the carb, do I need to take it completely apart? I'm concerned with disconnecting the wires.... is that necessary? what do you suggest?

Also, if I hold in the hot start lever it will turn over for a second... does that mean it is too rich? Any suggestions?...

my 03 is same jetting w/ JD kit - :D - give it 3 blips of gas before kicking it over (primes the acc pump), try holding the hot start on while kicking it over - it will start and after it is warm it is fine....when mine is totally cold and the carb is completely drained of VPU4 (after each ride)- this is the drill to start it - I usually pull the choke on for 2-3 kicks w/ hot start pulled - then flip off the choke - pull hot start and it fires right up - in cooler temps I actually give it just a little gas with the hot start pulled - it starts after 3-5 kicks every time - and is fine after it is warm -