Acid Reflux...

My wife went on a diet and dragged me on it as well.....Atkins.....I went with virtually no carbs for two weeks, I might be 10-15 lbs over but thats about it.....I had absolutely no acid reflux in that time period (I went off my perscription as well) this was a couple years ago.....Now I'm on Protonix (40 mg tab) every morning.....no weight problems but that Protonix rocks !!!! ?

If I have a coke within a couple of hours before going to bed, I'll wake up in the middle of the night with the nastiest burning crap in my mouth ever.

A tablespoon of baking soda and shotglass of water cut the taste and burn and there's no recurrance.

Try not to eat before bed and don't have any acidic drinks (coffee, tea, soda) beyond dinner.

I increased my calicum intake, watch what I eat and changed my exercise plan and pretty much eliminated my problem. The two things that set mine off were, chocolate and high carb foods. So I just need to watch those two things.

Believe this or not it worked for me and only once in a great while does it ever bother me at all anymore.

I used to have it so bad I carried rolaids with me every where I went. It's a long story as to how I got to this place but none the less I don't even know where I put those rolaids because I have been acid free for almost 2 years.

I don't know if this will work for everyone but a trip to your local chiropractor. I was in his office with my wife (see I didn't put much stock in chiropractic care.) & was telling him of the problem I was having. He told me to take this pill(it's a natural erb) called zylopan or something like that. (I looked for the bottle but we must have gotten rid of it because it didn't work.) He was surprised when I told him that it didn't work and actually made it much worse.He said then if that was the case, the reason it didn't work was this zylopan stuff actually make your stomach produce more acid, not cut it down, see most acid reflux is from your stomach producing to little acid not to much. The zylopan makes up the difference. Except in my case where my stomach was producing to much acid. I said great what now. Then he told me that all he had to do was adjust my spine. I wanted to laugh but at the time I was in no postion to complain this acid stuff was killing me. I let him adjust. Man am I glad I did. It was almost instant relief. I had to go back about once a week for a couple of weeks. Then once a month, now I only go when it bothers me again.

I don't know it this will work for anyone else, but, I don't have to take pills everyday & I'm acid free.

Hope this helps. Readytoride.

I know for me it has a lot to do with diet. When I eat crap foods I have to keep rolaids with me. I have them on my night table, my truck and my desk drawer and a roll in my pocket. I recently changed my diet (cholesterol is too high), cutting out a lot of fried and junk foods. I still drink too much coffee and diet soda but I rarely get it because I'm not eating fried foods, cookies and cake. If I cut out the coffee and soda I probably won't have a problem at all.

I have had this experience before, as long as I eat decent foods I don't have a problem. My sister was recently told that she is diabetic and that is a symptom of her diabetese.

My diet is already pretty healthy except for a couple of cups of coffee in the AM and beers in the PM, and I'm not going to give that up. I tried all sorts of antiacids, ranitodine-type drugs (Zantac, Tagamet) and proton pump drugs (Prevacid, prilosec, etc.). The only thing that works for me are the proton pumps. I do prilosec cuz its OTC and cheap.

The vinegar thing sounds interesting (so implausible it might work?)--so maybe try that 1st. Cheaper than pills.