Sign in to follow this  

tuners and engine builders

I just recently found out that some of the engine builders on the pro mx circut are telling my customers that there heading in the wrong direction working with me as i am a dirt track engine builder and really doesn't no what it takes to make a proper MX engine .i came from Mx and have also built successfully road race engines and drag bikes .whats funny is some of the factory teams are using my components and they dint even know it because they're being channeled through other sources and manufacturing references are all being removed .Its all top secret Yea right

Shawn are you talking about piston kits that cost over $200 and come from the same manufactures that we use .

Ron - That's the best compliment they could pay you. If you weren't someone they need to worry about they would never mention your name. The fact that they do feel the need to talk about you will just make people want to know more about what you are doing. Best free advertising you'll probably ever get. :)

I worked @ Harley shop that had been in business for over 40 years in fact i was married to the owners daughter for a short time Bill Miller Millers Harley Davidson St Louis Michigan .Bill always told us that he never wanted to hear any thing come back from his shop referring to any other shops and there service he was strict about that .when a customer came in and started bitching about some other shop we learned Quickly to say that that was to bad that they had a bad experience with that particular shop and that we had always heard good things about them .This was good policy and even though Bill past away in the 80s and the shop was sold in 1994 that shop and bill are still talked about for his integrity .If your not being talked about then your not doing anything .

this is all so true,

i have seen some top named mx company's motors, and its funny Ron that they are copying your head work and your cam grind.

and yes they are using that same JE 13.5 from Brian and they are charging $255.00 for it.

i think its terrible that we just can't get along.

az is so bad, god the shops just beat each other to death on the internet and they call and file false claims with the county's and municipalities to try and get everbody in trouble for this or that . :)

What is amazing to me is the caliber of folks that have become "mechanics". They start with zero instincts. They dont even know which end of the damn screwdriver to hold. (I saw this quite a bit when I was at Hughes Aircraft, the management was completely full of themselves and looked at the techs like they were a bunch of uneducated monkeys and anyone could step in thier shoes and get the job done.) They have no idea of how to "fix" things and basically just swap out parts until they get to the right piece.

There's a little shop around the corner from me that calls everynow and then when they're stumped. Usually I can square them away in a couple minutes.

Bones Bacon at PC comes to mind here. Ive heard things about him that make him out to be some kind of suspension wizard, then Ive heard other things that amount him up to a glorified shim jockey...

that just shows how much some of the pro mx engine builders know , I bet if they also had done development work on other types of engines they could apply that and do a better job ,

ron!

how dare you build improper mx engines! :):D:)

check your answering machine and call me tuesday. :D

I wonder if Ron Wood at Honda Racing knew that he couldn't build a proper crf450 for Nicky Hayden. Just like most people that actually do things as opposed to people that talk, he probably didn't know he couldn't do it, and neither did Nicky.

I'm trying to be qualified to build big bad Quad motors i have been looking for an excuse for me taking so long to build that motor now i have one

My goodness, I never realized the motorsports industry was like that.......... :) LOL!

I wonder if Ron Wood at Honda Racing knew that he couldn't build a proper crf450 for Nicky Hayden. Just like most people that actually do things as opposed to people that talk, he probably didn't know he couldn't do it, and neither did Nicky.

Wood has some neat stuff...but he missed the mark by quite a bit with that intake tube gismo...

Now that is silly. A "dirt track" bike needs lots of power, and a nice WIDE powerband and big but flat torque curve...with not too much "hit" that breaks traction and wears out the rider.

What else can you ask for in a moto engine? The wider the powerband and the less hit it has, the easier it is to ride and less tiring too.

I can tell you this, my RHC 450F was INSANE fast, and worked for MX really good. And the guys that are super motarding it right now think it is pretty slick too!

Well Ron, you must be doing something right for them to be worried about a single guy doing motors in the backwoods of Michigan.... :D:)

Wood has some neat stuff...but he missed the mark by quite a bit with that intake tube gismo...

The intake was from Ron Wood from Wood Racing in Costa Mesa. The other Ron Wood builds the factory CRF450's at American Honda.,

The Ron Wood from Honda, now is on his own ( i believe) and operates Tokyo mods. He has worked on the engines for Bostrom's supermoto bikes as well as Carmichael's 450's last year. Ron Hamps engines have won many races including Peoria last season. His port work is very dialed in for each engine's requirements. Both of them take different approaches but are successful.