Sign in to follow this  

Conical springs

Has anyone installed the new Conical valve springs yet? They sound pretty good, my buddy has them in his KXF and swears by them. :)

They are not proven yet. I'd stick with Pro Circuit or something that has proven to work. I was offered them and went PC instead. They can give variable spring rates and aren't as stable from what I have been told. They may be great, but I'll wait till they are proven.

you know we in automotive have had lots of trouble with them,

they will come and go every coupple years, i can;t believe that they are trying them in bikes, i would not even think of using them.

the loads are less but i am still learry !!! :)

That's not what I've heard. I did a bunch of research on them and the design has been proven. The Wright Brothers actually had conical springs in the Wright flier, the concept is without a question good but because they cost so much to make, companies will just make the regular springs just to save money. One thing is certain, these new small bore single cylinder race machines definitely need something to combat the spring harmonics and these springs have been proven to do that. I hear the PC springs have had their share of issues also, all they are is a regular straight wound spring with heavier pressures so they still can't stop the harmonics at the higher rpm's.

There must be something to the harmonics thing because everyone is doing the dual spring to try and stop it. Two springs weigh more than one and rubbing springs together will cause friction and heat.

As far as having trouble in the cars, not from what I have read. Comp cams makes them and lots of people swear by them.

I think it's pretty cool that this technology has moved over to our little motors, just because something has been done a certain way for a long time doesn't mean we can't do it better.

I am putting some in my CRF250, I ain't scared!

Theres more to it than just harmonics one of the bigest issues is the reduced mass @ the top of the spring and the reduced mass of the retainer .conical springs still resonate just @ different engine speeds .the best thing that can be done with these small high speed engines is use the best possible spring wires that are available and make them as light as possible while still achieving the desired pressures .and thats already been done .

RHC, I agree completely, the conical springs have a smaller top and can get the same desired pressure with fewer coils therefore less weight plus the bottom coils bind before the tops and by doing so lessen the effective mass of the spring at full lift. The more you look at how these springs work the more you can see how good they are.

I agree that they still resonate but I thought because each coil was a different size, they would not resonate at the same frequency like a straight spring can. Plus they weigh less witch is always good.

It seems like as long as they are made of good quality wire, they should be much better than anything else out there. They have been available for over a year now and I never heard anything negative.

I have been running them for a year now and have to say they are awesome. I don't even worry about my valves any more. I check clearance all the time and now I'm wondering if it's even necessary any more. I find myself thinking more about the suspension and stuff because I'm not riding always thinking about how I'm revving or shifting to save the motor.

I am totally convinced that valve springs have been the major problem with the valve train, and these conicals have fixed it. The word is starting to get out there because people are starting to talk about them. As with anything out there only time will tell but I'm already sold. :)

Hey MXER43. Who's springs do you use, WMR's?

How many hours on your valves?

Yes, about 60 hours on the springs with an hour meter. I did put a new piston in about 30 hours ago and checked the valve train completely. Everything was perfect but I went ahead and did new keepers and retainers because I had the entire head apart and didn't want to put the old ones back in. I actually bought new valves before I pulled it apart but after inspection didn't even use them, went back with the 30 hour valves and they are still in there going strong. I think because these springs don't vibrate as bad as stock and because the pressures are higher they control the valve better and stop the float. What ever the reason they seem to work good.

What's the link, if anybody knows, to WMR? I don't recognize the biz name.

What about desmodronic or whatver its called, what Ducati use in there engines, would this not be a possibility, they open AND close the valves as far as im aware, RHC, care to elaborate in any way. ???

Cheers.

I know it would be some work, and im not sure exactly how it works, but im going to do some googling and find some more out about it in the mean time.

www.wmr1.com i think maybe :)

desmo , well ,, it works i did not like the lay out and all engineering in the thing and we had problems with durability in hard abuse of racing on a privateer level. :)

the air operated valve train like in the 20.000 rpm f1 Renault, Ferrari, BMW, Cosworth stuff would be a better way to go :D

the stock honda stuff is very good , and the motor can make way more power easier than the 5 valve Genesis stuff, and the bike is so much better .

there is not a huge problem like everbody wants to make out,

good lord it is only a $6000 bike ,

for what you are getting and how cool it is you and i are getting a bargain !!

12 years ago you would pay 300,000 for if if you could get it.

i see very little problem with this issue. :D

I am familiar with this technology and it seems to be pretty good but if everyone is complaining about the cost of better springs and valves, I can hardly see them spending what it would cost to go with the Desmo set up.

This thread is about Conical springs not entire new solutions. If you look at the Conical spring and compare it to every other spring option, I think you will agree it starts to make a lot of sense.

Nope, that's apparently not the link for WMR. Time to do some Googling . . .

A few ?

1 what are the cost of the springs, seats, and retainers?

2 do you use the stock honda valves ?

3 are you using the spring on both intakes and exhaust?