What makes the fast guys so fast?

This may sound like a stupid question, but have you ever wondered what makes the fast guys so fast? I am an intermediate (:) level rider and am no slouch, but some of these guys are like lightning, they can lose you in a matter of seconds in the tight trails. Obviously, there are things like never coasting (always braking or accelerating), but beyond that, I believe these guys must have hyperactive levels of kinesthetic awareness - they seem to correct almost before a problem occurs. Its fascinating. Some of it must be god-given because they don't even know why they are so fast. Any fast guys care to chime up?

hardwork ?

balance ?

hand/eye coordination ?

awareness ?

balls ?

There's alot of variables... but I do feel like, some guys just have it, while others don't. I ride with a couple guys that are blazing fast on any track/terrain. They could sit out 6 months with an injury, meanwhile I'm bustin my butt & when they come back, they're as fast as ever. Seems unfair, but I'm with ya on the god given talent, some guys we're just born to ride.

The first thing I am going to ask you, is your suspension tuned to you.

I am currently in the process of tuning my suspension on the new bike, and every trip out it makes me a little bit faster over the same terrain. I know it isn't like shifting into warp speed or anything, but a properly tuned and set up suspension can make the difference between a first place finish or a fourth place finish. As always, IMO and YMMV.

edit:

and yes, I am with you on the concept that some people just "have it"

I rode with a guy yesterday that "just had it" on the tight stuff because that is what he has always ridden. But then we opened up into the oil field roads and he couldn't even begin to keep up becuase he had never ridden in that kind of a situation before. So who knows for sure :)

I think you will often find that these riders are relaxed with their grip on the bars. They are smooth because they are not clamped to the bike. When you can learn to twist the throttle without your upper body falling back and then relying on the grip to keep you attached, you will be at the point where you can hover over the bike and not hold it back.

Being able to stay centered over the bike during all of the changes in forces will allow you to relax and flow with the bike instead of fighting it. That builds confidence and on and on.. If your arms are tight and stiff, you are "hanging on". :)

I'm not saying I'm one of the fast guys in any way, but from what I've noticed it is just getting into your mode. As Gary Semics says it, "You will feel like you are going slow, but you actually are going very fast. Everything happens in a sort of slow motion and you have time to react to everything." I have had several instances where this has happened to me. For example, yesterday when I was headed back from the mountains going from Dove Springs to Jawbone I felt this mode. I had 100% control- relaxed grips, sitting and standing at the perfect times, perfect throttle control, awesome wheelies through the whoops, and it felt as if I was on concrete and I was riding supermoto. I was being very alert and thinking WAY ahead which kept me from concentrating on the trail right in front of me. I never was in any danger of hitting any ruts or going off the trail, yet I was going faster than ever. The way to get into this mode or the way I perfer to do it is staying very alert and getting on the throttle very hard through the turns which makes you be alert on the straight aways. After I do this a couple of times, I can't help but go fast. Of course exactly when I have to wait up for the others or slow down for other people, I have to start it all over again. It is an awesome sensation where you can't help but go fast. What I suggest it that next time you go riding and are going to be in a very fast area, try what I said. It will work.

one word- confidence

If you dont have confidence in yourself, you can ride to full potential. you cant back off and slow down because you 'might' not be able to, if you have the skill, just concentrate on doing what you have to do, and have confidence in yourself, dont back down, and you will be RC in no time :)

A distinct and acute _fear_of_losing_ that overpowers all sense of responsiblity for self preservation.

(suspension setup helps too, forget the motor, suspension, suspension, suspension.)

one word- confidence

If you dont have confidence in yourself, you can ride to full potential. you cant back off and slow down because you 'might' not be able to, if you have the skill, just concentrate on doing what you have to do, and have confidence in yourself, dont back down, and you will be RC in no time :)

What he said ^

amen my man....suspension...and more of it.

i had my brp at the track on saturday...the suspension was dialed and it ripped...300 lbs of rip snorting power...man was that fun!!

Sttteeeaaalllttthhhh Mooodddddeeee!!!!!

(small_and_fast knows that i'm talkin' about)

Cocaine.

BALLS....you need have the guts to do what other guys cant do...

also, RIDE RIDE RIDE. get comfortable with your bike. i ride a few times a week and it really pays off when im riding with my friend who almost never rides unless its with me. yeah suspension can make a difference, but i bet RC would smoke me without suspension...

i would say confidence and practice are what makes the fast guys fast....if you have the drive, you'll be one of the fast guys some day too

hardwork ?

balance ?

hand/eye coordination ?

awareness ?

balls ?

There's alot of variables... but I do feel like, some guys just have it, while others don't. I ride with a couple guys that are blazing fast on any track/terrain. They could sit out 6 months with an injury, meanwhile I'm bustin my butt & when they come back, they're as fast as ever. Seems unfair, but I'm with ya on the god given talent, some guys we're just born to ride.

I have to agree with you, pure talent, I know guys like you do, rocket fast all the time doesnt' matter how long they sit out, a lot of it has to do with desire to win!!!

yeah suspension can make a difference, but i bet RC would smoke me without suspension...

suspension doesn't make a person a god on a bike. But, it could, as I stated, mean the difference between a first place finish or someplace back in the pack. In your riding class.

It's all in the wrist action.

Dwight

Sttteeeaaalllttthhhh Mooodddddeeee!!!!!

(small_and_fast knows that i'm talkin' about)

Ya, I know what your talking about.

It's all in the wrist action.

Dwight

Care to expand a bit?

IMO, the two main things it takes is that "Natural Ability" and PRACTICE.

Lots and Lots of pratice will make you a lot smoother and therfore faster rider. RIDE!

Assuming the bike is set up correctly,

First work on consistency. You will worry less about the little rocks and roots in front of you and focus farther down the trail.

Consistency = Confidence

Confidence = Speed

Second work on saddle time. I am a lot more in the zone and ready when I have been riding a lot during the week.

IMO.....

Couldn't agree any better.......... :D

The first thing I am going to ask you, is your suspension tuned to you.

I am currently in the process of tuning my suspension on the new bike, and every trip out it makes me a little bit faster over the same terrain. I know it isn't like shifting into warp speed or anything, but a properly tuned and set up suspension can make the difference between a first place finish or a fourth place finish. As always, IMO and YMMV.

edit:

and yes, I am with you on the concept that some people just "have it"

I rode with a guy yesterday that "just had it" on the tight stuff because that is what he has always ridden. But then we opened up into the oil field roads and he couldn't even begin to keep up becuase he had never ridden in that kind of a situation before. So who knows for sure :)

BALLS....you need have the guts to do what other guys cant do...

also, RIDE RIDE RIDE. get comfortable with your bike. i ride a few times a week and it really pays off when im riding with my friend who almost never rides unless its with me. yeah suspension can make a difference, but i bet RC would smoke me without suspension...

i would say confidence and practice are what makes the fast guys fast....if you have the drive, you'll be one of the fast guys some day too

well, yes and no. i don't have 'balls' really, tho i'm sure it seems that way when i attack a technical feature. i hate tipping over and i ride within my limits, but i ride ALOT, and alot of what i ride is fairly technical terrain. i ride with confidence, but i got the confidence from practice. some guys attack it a little differently, but most of them crash more than me.

back to the original question, fast guys corner very quickly. the ones i have ridden with (couple isde types) don't look like they're going that fast, but they are on the gas much earlier coming out of corners than most people. fast guys also typically ride alot, so most stuff they see on a trail looks sorta like something they've seen before. as a result, they don't have to spend alot of time thinking about what to do. decision-making becomes almost a reflex.

-mark