What makes the fast guys so fast?

Excellent Thread and Great Post :applause:

I'm not saying I'm one of the fast guys in any way, but from what I've noticed it is just getting into your mode. As Gary Semics says it, "You will feel like you are going slow, but you actually are going very fast. Everything happens in a sort of slow motion and you have time to react to everything." I have had several instances where this has happened to me. For example, yesterday when I was headed back from the mountains going from Dove Springs to Jawbone I felt this mode. I had 100% control- relaxed grips, sitting and standing at the perfect times, perfect throttle control, awesome wheelies through the whoops, and it felt as if I was on concrete and I was riding supermoto. I was being very alert and thinking WAY ahead which kept me from concentrating on the trail right in front of me. I never was in any danger of hitting any ruts or going off the trail, yet I was going faster than ever. The way to get into this mode or the way I perfer to do it is staying very alert and getting on the throttle very hard through the turns which makes you be alert on the straight aways. After I do this a couple of times, I can't help but go fast. Of course exactly when I have to wait up for the others or slow down for other people, I have to start it all over again. It is an awesome sensation where you can't help but go fast. What I suggest it that next time you go riding and are going to be in a very fast area, try what I said. It will work.

i know exactly what you mean... i had one of those late last year. someone i know who is decently fast... not one of the fastest out there, but pretty dang fast, was riding in front of me. the adrenaline and will to win kicked in, and i just got haulin, staying on his fender playing him like a fast A rider on a fast B rider. after about 7 minutes real life kicked back in and at that time i just about shot off the bank.:applause:

To sum it up in two words; TALENT & DESIRE. One has to have the talent for all their hard work to pay off. One has to have the desire to do all the hard work.

Success (being fast) doesn't come without hard work and sacrifice and talent. Some people can sing, some can draw and paint, some can play a musical instrement and some can ride fast.

www.mxraceschool.com

To sum it up in two words; TALENT & DESIRE. One has to have the talent for all their hard work to pay off. One has to have the desire to do all the hard work.

Success (being fast) doesn't come without hard work and sacrifice and talent. Some people can sing, some can draw and paint, some can play a musical instrement and some can ride fast.

www.mxraceschool.com

Good post.

However even those without talent at all can get better - thanks for making the 2 day school dvd. :applause:

I started riding dirt kind of late in life and will never be "fast". However, the one thing that improved my riding ability the most was advice from my son who has ridden dirt since he was 10, he told me to ride as far ahead of the bike as I could see. When I learned to do that, it got very much easier.

practice makes perfect :applause:

I have been racing since 1995 as akid in 80cc motocross. I had my first real like in tv coverage succes last week.

12 years it is a long time.

I am not faster, better at riding or on ahot scooter, BUT I was so hungry for that feeling of I DID IT that I would have died than rather let of. I am not fast but I have the heart of a LION (Tau means lion in tswana).

Ask any fast guy in any endurance sport if he gets tired after 6hrs or so and the answer is yes. Everybody is human some just need to suffer to feel alive

and worthy I think.:applause:

MR.semics if i ask nicely would you do a riding school in South Africa we would love that.:excuseme:

In only a short time I have invested a great deal into the science of trying to finish a race at an A pace.

In addition to fitness, diet and top of the line equipment and go fast accessories, I have managed to double the amount of hrs riding each of the last 3 years. 300 hrs annually maybe more.

I run in that no mans land. Can't get up to the top 25 A riders, but can pull away from most of the top B riders. I wish I had started before age 33 but what can you do.

Getting outrun by younger riders with comparable equipment does not phase me, but when a gent recently showed up on a 80's something air cooled 400 4 stroke Honda and pulled away from me in the sandy S turns of south TX, I just had to wonder. Sure, I could check out in whoops and really really rough technical sections with the $1000 dollar suspension I have, but within a minute he would be right up on me. Although he had never been to this place before, if I fumbled and he got out front, he just slowly inched away sitting on that big red thumper like it was part of his body. He flowed around trees at the apex of corners like he did not even have shoulders. No brake sliding and very little roost. His rear tire was bald and he hadn't ridden in 6 months. The rust on the pegs and bike confirmed it.

His answer...... endless hrs playing and buddy racing on mini bikes. Once you get used to (having the balls) to throw the mini bike around corners at speed, you will do exactly the same on the big bikes.

This is about the only thing I have not tried

Confidence is everything in life.... EVERYTHING!! Without confidence all you have is second guessing.

Race & practice. Fast guys race. If you race with guys faster than you then you'll see things you didn't think of before.

A huge part of going fast is line selection. You can take a different line in the track and save several seconds per lap.

I know one particular guy who actually hadn't ridden in over one year. He went out once or twice for practice, then proceeded to qualify for Loretta's in +25 and +30. Simply amazing.

His ability to ride using less energy is what got him there, and his experience. Something that can't be teached...

Certain guys can only get so fast. It's just a question if you have reached the point of not getting faster or you need to push more.

Me personally, I need to race more, ride more and push more and I'll be up there with the guys that are described in the first post

Practice, determination, strong mindset, ability to choose good lines, natural talent, and balls. I go to every race with the mindset to win... If I don't, at least I did better trying to win then settling for a position. Is it true that some riders only get so good? I don't really believe that... they level out when they either stop pushing harder, or stop believing they can go faster. I think I have leveled out to a certain degree but I'm not accepting that. I will practice, I will train harder, push harder until I feel I am no longer sane!

I look at a riders skill on a scale. GREENYELLOW[RED Riders who level out ride in the green zone.. thats where its safe. You only get faster riding in the yellow zone.. thats where your "testing" your ability. Red zone is where your riding at or above your ability. The idea here is to push until that yellow line moves higher on the scale... the higher that yellow line gets, the more you are able to push limits and be in control. I always ride in the yellow zone because thats where I will get faster. I avoid the red... I sometimes ride there for a last lap pass, or first corner recovery, but I also know I can only ride in that zone for so long.

Its all about a riders determination.. the more you want it, the sooner it will come. Thats the way I see it. I was running junior at the start of last season, mid season advanced to intermediate. This year I am running expert/pro and I believe thats because of my determination and dedication. If I get 4th place, everyone says "hey good job"... maybe it is, but I'm not completely happy. I always strive for more. I haven't placed outside the top 5 overall this year. I believe thats because I refuse to give up. I have had races with the most horrible start.. I could have gave up or settled in right there.. but no way. I will keep pushing until I finally get an overall win. Its only a matter of time. Yep, its all in the mind. You have to believe you can do it, otherwise it will never happen.

Out in the desert I would say No Fear is what makes you fast. I'm not the fastest guy but I try not to think to much while riding fast just pay attention on whats coming up. Dont be afraid to go fast were you have wrecked before. And pray before i go out on a trial that no one is going in the wrong direction.

I try to look as far ahead as possible and ride a lot. having really good tires and a good suspension set up will help you not to "fight the bike" and make it predictable. If at all possible learn the course and have the turns memorized. This really helps me when the trees fill out with plumage.

Nothing replaces seat time! And a good set of bark busters:thumbsup:

they see the trails different than normal people do time is almost like slowed down for them they can process the information on the trail in front them better and faster than a slow rider can

just my take on it

I look at a riders skill on a scale. GREENYELLOW[RED Riders who level out ride in the green zone.. thats where its safe. You only get faster riding in the yellow zone.. thats where your "testing" your ability. Red zone is where your riding at or above your ability. The idea here is to push until that yellow line moves higher on the scale... the higher that yellow line gets, the more you are able to push limits and be in control.

:):ride:

i try to ride in the yellow or red but fear kicks me in the nuts and puts me back at green. that and arm pump.

Fast.. well let me think here, fast is relative to who is behind the bars, The thing that gets most ppl is the sound of the motor screaming for so long you eventually think about the "what ifs" what is I hit a hole, what if I come across a sharp corner, what if, what if. The truth is at speed if you come across anything you pretty screwed!... period, what matters is what you do with it.

Now what I mean by this is, you are faced with the fight or flight mode, now flight will end you up in hospital, fight is not really fight in off road it's more like work with(what has happened eg: shifting weight etc...). for example you motoring along at 80mph and you hit a "big" hole. You can do one of 2 things either go "oh poke, I'm screwed(and go to hospital or walk away)" and brace for impact or become as close as you can with the bike and go for gold(and walk away or go to hospital :)), now this does not always work out(I'm on first name basis with allot of doctors and nurses) however it is the lesser of two evils like the good old saying goes "when it doubt... ~ flat out". Have faith and 9 times out of 10 you stand a good chance of walking away, but it's always that 9th time hey...

Much more than this I cannot give you. It comes down to what you can do with the situation you put in... - good luck and remember to duck and roll...

:ride:

PS: pain is a good indication you still alive hehehehe

i try to ride in the yellow or red but fear kicks me in the nuts and puts me back at green. that and arm pump.

Thats completely normal. If your testing your limits in the high yellow or red zone you sometimes get scares. Those scares can be a good thing as long as you learn from them. We have to take chances to get faster... just don't take stupid chances. Try to save the green zone riding for at the end of the day when your arms are pumped and your pooped out. Try riding in that Yellow zone as much as possible when your endurance is up.

Thats completely normal. If your testing your limits in the high yellow or red zone you sometimes get scares. Those scares can be a good thing as long as you learn from them. We have to take chances to get faster... just don't take stupid chances. Try to save the green zone riding for at the end of the day when your arms are pumped and your pooped out. Try riding in that Yellow zone as much as possible when your endurance is up.

Where my green, yellow, and red zones are seem to vary with a lot of factors like fatigue, how recently I have ridden, etc.... does your zones change? Does anyones? Is it just me?