TT500 Head pipe & Carb

Looking for a new head pipe to get some more out of the 540 kit. Who knows of some good places to pick one up? Also looking to try and find a bigger carb. Still running the 28mm stocker. Thanks for the help.

**Edit**

Why stop there? ? Anyone got any suspension links as well?

You can get a 36mm or 38mm Mikuni VM Round slide carb that comes as a White Brothers kit from Mark at www.thumperstuff.com for about US$ 250-it comes jetted almost right with the extra jets needed to jet it correctly.You also get a K+ N airfilter and the throttle and cable.I put this setup on my XT and have been totally happy with it's performance,it suited the 90mm Wiseco,porting and cam perfectly.

Sudco offers a pre-jetted carb. I like the Sudco jetting as it seems to be the cleanest running right out of the box. For a stock engine a 36mm Mikuni roundslide is a good carb. For a modified engine you'll need a 38mm. For a fully modified engine a 40 mm might be required to extract the maximum power available but it is usually at the price of loosing some bottom end power.

As for the pipe if you need an up-pipe I'm not sure where to get them anymore but if you're not going to offroad much and can run a down-pipe you cannot beat the power output of a Jemco. They are made for flattrack so they are under the bike and very vulnerable to rock hits or smashing on jump landings.

My favorite place to ride is flat tracking on the curvy roads up north(also legal with an orv), but the majority of the riding i do is trail riding, cornfields, woods, ect. She rarely gets jumped because we all know how graceful these are on the landings. Due to these conditions and the fact i still have the skid plate on makes me think its a good idea to avoid the down pipe.

Thanks for the tips guys ?

• 3 weeks later...

25+ years ago, I roadraced an SR500 and then a more radical XT500. At least at that time, the 38 Mikuni roundslide was the hot setup. I tried a 40mm Mikuni but with stock displacement, it was virtually unridable except at full throttle and near peak rpm.

I am planning on recycling that 38 Mikuni on the SR500 (with 540 Wiseco kit etc) that I recently acquired. The carb was dialed in perfectly for a modified 500 with velocity stack and open megaphone exhaust. Any suggestions on what I want to try to change first to run with a similarly modified 540, but with K&N filter and Supertrap? Elevation is about the same in both cases (6,000 to 7,000 foot elevation).

Am I correct in assuming I might want to start by going one or two sizes more lean with the filter and muffler? It has been nearly 25 years since I tuned a round slide Mikuni and my skills are somewhat rusty!