Glucosamine

I've read through some threads, but haven't found much. I just recently broke the scaphoid bone in my wrist, and had a screw put in. I guess this could cause arthritis problems later on. As a teenager, would it do me any benefit to take glucosamine now? Or is it just for joint pain relief? I go back to the orthopedist in two weeks, if I can remember I'll ask him.

I've used it for my knees, works but takes some time it's not an instant relief. If I remember correctly you supposed to take 1000mg to load for the first month (maybe two can't remember) then 500mg as a maintenance dose everyday. That's what I take now 500mg with condroitin. I searched health sites to find the information when I first started taking it (I think it was GNCs web site that had a lot of articles on it). I also noticed a difference when I stopped for a while.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's very good stuff it work's very good for me.I also know some body that gives it to there big over weight dog because off hip problem's and the dog get's around way better now.I use tripleflex I get it at costco.For me the stuff work's

really quick but most people say they have to take it like a month or so before it

start's working.I make sure I alway's have it cupboard.

• 4 weeks later...

It does work, and I'm not just saying in a psychosomatic way. I had a bad wrist break in '97, and it helps a bit of range-of-motion on that arm. Also, I was motarding, and slapped my foot pretty good. Sore as hell for about 10 days, so I went to see what was up. Turns out I have minor arthritis in the ball of my foot (big toe joint). 6 weeks later, after continuous glucosamine, I feel like I could start running regularly again. The reports I've read indicate to be sure to get a reputable brand. Sundown or Rexall get good reviews. BTW, Glucosamine is basically cartilage and cellulose from cow and shellfish sources. Not an artificial or chemically made supplement.

I read on bodybuilding.com they were HUGE on taking lots of flax seed oil (5 tablespoons a day or more), for joint pain. There was a study saying it acts as an anti-inflammatory. Lots of people were trying it and were saying it works better than glucosamine. The thread was titled something like "if you don't take flax seed oil for joint pain you are dicked up" Haha. I tried it and it did seem to do more for me than glucosamine.

I read on bodybuilding.com they were HUGE on taking lots of flax seed oil (5 tablespoons a day or more), for joint pain. There was a study saying it acts as an anti-inflammatory. Lots of people were trying it and were saying it works better than glucosamine. The thread was titled something like "if you don't take flax seed oil for joint pain you are dicked up" Haha. I tried it and it did seem to do more for me than glucosamine.
Fish oil caps are vastly superior to flax seed oil as anti-inflammatory agents and they don't taste nearly as bad.

It's not so much fish oil, per se, that is so beneficial for joint health but rather EPA/DHA (eicosapentaenoic acid/docosahexanoic acid respectively) contained therein. It just so happens that fish (especially cold-water fish) contains an extremely high amount of EPA/DHA.

These essential fats can also be derived from alpha-linolenic acid (e.g. flax seed oil), however, the conversion of ALA to EPA and DHA is quite inefficient; estimates place the conversion rates at less than 5-10% for EPA and 2-5% for DHA. In other words, you would have to consume quite a bit of flax seed oil to match the EPA/DHA contained in only 6 daily fish oil caps.

i have been taking glucosamine and msm for a few years now and i think its really good stuff. back in 03 i tore my mcl and meniscus in my knee. the doctor wanted to do surgery on it, but i decided against it. i just let it heal on its own and kept on taking the glu/msm and my knee is good as new :applause: