Adjusting Rekluse

I have an 04 WR 450F. I recently purchased a rekluse clutch with external perch adjuster. I read many threads on this topic and went with 5 Carbide balls and heavy spring in the perch.

Some of best money I have blown on this bike. It really hill climbs well now and never stalls.

I got busy and am not a mechanical god so I paid a Yamaha dealership to install.

When the bike starts moving on the street the clutch does not engage as smooth as I want it to. (It somewhat lunges forward and the front fender goes up and down a little). In the dirt, I have not noticed this as much - maybe I am just not paying as much attention.

Anyway, is this normal for how the clutch feels or do I need to tear it apart. Adjusting the perch did not seem to make a difference.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Steve

the lighter spring would engage faster,i had the same exact setup on my 04 wr and it was very quick to engage also,keep the heavy spring and adjust it so theres only about 3/8" of threads sticking out of the adjuster barrel if thats doesn't do it try up to 1/2" and if still not satisfied you can go to 3 tc balls. it is finicky about oil also. i use delo 15-40 and have tried it with the new ch-4+ rating and find its a little smoother. the moly that they added is motdc(soluble) and does not hurt the clutch like mos2. hope that helped ?

Heavy spring it better? hmmmmmm I'll have to give that a try and take it out again!

heavier spring gives a smoother engagement,with the setup steve has i couldn't ride it without thinking i was doing drivetrain damage with the soft spring in. it was like a light switch on/off. the heavy spring worked well at about 3/8" you might also try 2 2 cool ,it really helped smooth the engagement also,helps keep the oil temps down on top of that ? its available from TT

the lighter spring would engage faster,i had the same exact setup on my 04 wr and it was very quick to engage also,keep the heavy spring and adjust it so theres only about 3/8" of threads sticking out of the adjuster barrel if thats doesn't do it try up to 1/2" and if still not satisfied you can go to 3 tc balls. it is finicky about oil also. i use delo 15-40 and have tried it with the new ch-4+ rating and find its a little smoother. the moly that they added is motdc(soluble) and does not hurt the clutch like mos2. hope that helped ?

NCMountainman,

when you say 3/8", is that beyond the barrel adjuster or the barrel adjuster lock nut? I notice I have to roll off the throttle some to upshift and to downshift also (but not a closed throttle). This is with the light spring and 5 threads showing beyond lock nut. I did use the heavy spring for a short time at first but only had 1 thread showing which seemed pretty good but was concerned about clutch slippage. I guess clutch plates are cheaper than gears and synchros or whatever they use.

I have 5 TC balls and using golden spectro 10W-40.

Thanks for the help, Jeff