Sign in to follow this  

[B]What is your favorite truck of all time?[/B]

non citizens cant buy a truck? :) Now I've heard it all, is there a reason for that goofy law?

Yeah it is a bit goofy but something to do with all pickups being classified as commercial vehicles and only locals can own them as a personal vehicle. There is a way for a non-citizen to get one but you would have to own a business and register the pickup in the name of the company :) Kind of weird. Sometimes it is like living on another planet here. Nice planet but still another planet.. :D

interesting.

Pickups used to be considered commercial vehicles here too.. owners were required to at least put their name on the door (back in the 60s) Not sure if there was anything about citizenship in that law or not.

Where are you from originally BergArabia?

I've had a couple of em and actually don't hate them as much as most people.

I plan to build the one in my camaro (stroked to 335, supercharged, hope to find around 350-400horsepower when its done) just to be different.

My 82 3/4 ton was a 305 originally, after almost 300,000 miles (on a truck that worked every day of its life) it let go of a rod and trashed the block, I put a crate 350 in it after that.

Nothin wrong with the 305, it just had the bad luck to be overshadowed by its bigger and more popular brother (the 350)

Why would you build a 305?

Just to be diffrent? If so I can see why, thats why i'm doing my 283 in my 62. Everyone and there dog has a 350.

Cause otherwise thats a crappy motor, such a short stroke for such a big truck/car.

Easier to park, it'll fit in the garage, shorter wheelbase for offroading (my Dad high-centered his '74 Blazer!), less paint to wash and wax, lighter weight for better MPG...

There's a few reasons. Offroading is the strongest argument.

The weight is so minaml you won't notice a diffrence.

Parking i'll give you since i'm in So. Cal. :) But I have no problem with my long bed.

Fit in the garage i'll give ya too. But I can get my long bed in there no problem when it's clean.

I don't wash my truck cause I use iot for working and it's not a street car.

As for offroading, i'd like to see you take a full size up a PNW trail. There to damn wide.

I would buy a 1996-1999 Ford 2wd xtra cab with a manual trans and the 4.6.

You can find these cheap with low, low miles and these trucks run forever. The last truck I owned before my '03 FX4 was a 1997 like this and I got 285000 miles out of it without ever touching the engine or trans except for fresh fluids every 3500 miles and the occasional trans fluid change.

Make your 7 grand last!

I'd go with a crew cab Ford F350 with the 7.3 diesel. It's like an SUV and a truck combined and with that diesel you can still get 15-18mpg and it's pretty reliable.

I forgot to add early 90's body style...

170k's pretty darn good. Is it a 305 or 350?

If it works for you and ya like it, theres nothin wrong with a short bed... I just like 8ft beds.

I like hauling bikes, plywood, drywall, 2x4s, furnature ect with the tailgate up, and a 6 (or 5ft on many modern trucks) just doesnt do that. They also ride considerably better and work much better for towing 5th wheel trailers.

I understand the offroad arguement but thats only a small percentage of what I do in a truck, so I'd rather have a long bed to haul with and take my chances with that off chance of highcentering it.

Well it had a 350, but it threw 3 rods.... :)

For now, we are putting in a 305 that we got for 50 bucks, and then we'll start saving for a 454, or maybe a 383 stroker, haven't really decided yet. :)

Like what?

Cannot think of any.

Though I can think of at least 100 reasons why it would piss me off.

I just like them because the truck is more maneuverable. Other than the fact that the look better, thats it. A list of 100 might be tough 426, maybe 20.

Why would you build a 305?

Just to be diffrent? If so I can see why, thats why i'm doing my 283 in my 62. Everyone and there dog has a 350.

Cause otherwise thats a crappy motor, such a short stroke for such a big truck/car.

because I have 2 TPI 305s laying around.

They're not that bad of a motor, just overshadowed by the 350. A well built 305 will make just as much power as a 350 :)

geee. i would pick the truck that i have now..

88 chevy silverodo 4x4 with 8 foot bed. with my nearly new 350 in it..

ill try to post pic when im done with it.. i just finish the brake lines and it should be out of the garage tonight or tomrrow.. then its gettting painted in the next 2 weeks.

for seven grand I would get a 88-98 3/4 ton Chevy Suburban 4x4. Lots of space for friends,family and gear. Plenty of pulling power and its also a 4x4.

I had an 88' and it was a great truck! However, I still have to go with the 87' as it has the same engine and has a solid front axle rather than the wimpy IFS that was used 88' and up.

Good choice :) Don't forget you could get the crew cab up to 1991. These were awesome trucks. I would love to find a clean original 4X4 in this era.