Sign in to follow this  

Tib/Fib Fracture

How long after having these bones broken were some of you able to ride. Also, how long did it take for you to start therapy. I broke my tib/fib during Thanksgiving weekend and I am still walking with a limp and have no real strength in my leg. Should start therapy soon though.

I "demolished" my Tibia in Dec. of '03. It required 4 hours of surgery to fix and I now have a nice little 11" long plate w/ 11 screws holding it all in place. It took me 6 months before I hit the track again. Needless to say I was a bit anxious during the first laps, especially when I got to the uphill double (at I-5 MX) where I broke it. Physical therapy didn't do crap for me. But then again it really depends where you go! I just rehabed on my own. Now, keep in mind everyone is different. I'm 42 and 2 1/2 years after the break I still have some pain! My biggest suggestion is to star using it as soon as you can!!!!! Do your best to fend off muscle atrophy!!!!! It's hard to get your muscle tone and strength back to normal again if that happens, believe me!! Good luck and be patient.

It really depends on the details of the fractures, but around 3 to 6 months is a decent estimate. I started riding at about 3 1/2 months and it was too soon for me. I really hadn't built up the strength to where it should have been. Riding that soon was frustrating, nerve-wracking and a little painful. At that point, I took a break (bad wording?) from riding and worked on strengthening the ankle and leg before I continued to ride.

I suggest really working on the rehab and follow the guidelines from the sports medicine crowd. (Google "fracture rehabilitation" and other variations and you will find mainly useful links.) Basically, they advise that you should have nearly full range of motion and be able to run, hop, jump on it before returning to "your sport." The trick is to rehab as aggressively as possible without injuring the joint in its weakened condition.

Others I have talked to, let me know that it would be about a year before it really feels normal. I am at 11 months now and it is useable but not fully recovered..

Good luck,

RH

Mine spiraled into about ten pieces. I have a plate and ten pins in my tib. It took seven months on crutches with no weight bearing, followed by another five months of hobbling around on a cane before I rode again. I put 1,100 miles on a stationary bicycle during the healing period.

well, I have a Ti rod and three screws in my tib. I can walk okay now but i am still limping. I was down in San Felipe for Memorial Day weekend and couldn't ride. Very frustrating to see everybody else riding around and i couldn't. Oh well, i guess it comes with the territory. Thanks to everyone for your advise.

Mine was a tibial platue(sp?) fracture. Basically a fancy term used when someone destroys the top of the tibia. I started therapy the day after surgery.....they wheeled in a machine that screwed to my bed, put my leg in it, and turned it on. The machine slowly bent my knee for me to help in regaining a better range of motion. More thorough physical therapy started approx 2weeks after surgery. I was 6 months on crutches with no weight bearing. I broke mine in 2001, and it still is not perfect......but I was told it never will be as good as new. I stopped having constant pain at about the 3 yr mark from the date of the injury. Age plays a big part, as I was 33 when I broke it. My advice is to rehab the crap out of it. My career was on the line, so I really got after it as far as rehabing it. The rehab made the difference in my opinion. Good luck in your recovery!

Rhino

well, I have a Ti rod and three screws in my tib. I can walk okay now but i am still limping. I was down in San Felipe for Memorial Day weekend and couldn't ride. Very frustrating to see everybody else riding around and i couldn't. Oh well, i guess it comes with the territory. Thanks to everyone for your advise.

You'll be fine!! :) I've broken my legs 3 times!!! I have Ti rods in both my left and right tibs!!!

hey, BigDesto, just for curiosity sake. how difficult would it be to rebreak the legs with the Ti rods in there?

Mine was a tibial platue(sp?) fracture. Basically a fancy term used when someone destroys the top of the tibia. I started therapy the day after surgery.....they wheeled in a machine that screwed to my bed, put my leg in it, and turned it on. The machine slowly bent my knee for me to help in regaining a better range of motion. More thorough physical therapy started approx 2weeks after surgery. I was 6 months on crutches with no weight bearing. I broke mine in 2001, and it still is not perfect......but I was told it never will be as good as new. I stopped having constant pain at about the 3 yr mark from the date of the injury. Age plays a big part, as I was 33 when I broke it. My advice is to rehab the crap out of it. My career was on the line, so I really got after it as far as rehabing it. The rehab made the difference in my opinion. Good luck in your recovery!

Rhino

Same injury with a clean break in 2 places(3 pins). Work on the stationary bike helped reduce pain related to tissue swelling a lot. I'm 4 weeks no weight on my left leg, they just bumped me to 30-50% weight on the left leg for the final 2 weeks. I've been crutch 'walking' a mile several days a week. The bicycle is okay with some tension on the wheel at this point. Physical therapy is limited to goals, I can hit those okay on my own at this point. I would bet 2 months minimum before I can get back to running and lifting some weight before I feel good enough to ride. At 52 this is my first break. Doc gave me points for being in great shape, time will tell.

always harder to rebreak... I was out for a year on a tib/fib. Do your physio it really does help and got to www.mybrokenleg.com Its a good site with lots of advice. Oh and if you smoke or drink pop... stop now.

Burnrider,

Jeez, I cant imagine going through that at 52!! Then again, you're probably in better shape at 52 than I am at 37. I ended up with a plate and 8 screws. First ortho I went to wouldnt even touch it saying it was the worst tib platue fracture he'd ever seen, and that he didnt feel comfortable in the surgery to repair it. Lucky for me, one of the most sought after ortho's in the nation regarding this procedure is here in Memphis.......Even the screws used in the procedure are named after him. I wish you the very best in your continued recovery and will keep you in my prayers.

Rhino

hey, BigDesto, just for curiosity sake. how difficult would it be to rebreak the legs with the Ti rods in there?

My only question to the doc was " is it stronger with the the rods in or out"?

he said with them in!!! I don't want to think about what would happen if they broke again!! :)

I just sustained a spiral of the tib/fib Apr 2nd. Last Thursday, they put me in a walking boot for a month. By last Saturday, I was walking without the crutches. it still hurts a little, but with the boot I can control it pretty good. My next appointment is the end of the month, which will be 3 months. Hopefully, I will be out of the boot and into rehab.

I was told at least 6 months until I should even think about trying to go 100% at anything besides walking, sitting, or laying down.

I just sustained a spiral of the tib/fib Apr 2nd. Last Thursday, they put me in a walking boot for a month. By last Saturday, I was walking without the crutches. it still hurts a little, but with the boot I can control it pretty good. My next appointment is the end of the month, which will be 3 months. Hopefully, I will be out of the boot and into rehab.

I was told at least 6 months until I should even think about trying to go 100% at anything besides walking, sitting, or laying down.

My 1st break was a spiral of the tib was in a cast over 7 months! :)

When i rebroke it along with the fib(laid bike down to avoid decapatation/barb wired fence!) I told the doc i wanted surgery!! Was walking with a cane in 2 weeks!! :)

Usually it will take from 8 to 12 weeks for initial bone connection full healing will be completed at approximately one year. It is also depending on the location of the fracture, is it closer to the knee or the ankle? Physical therapy will start as soon as the cast will be removed (approximately 8 weeks post injury). You will be able to regain strength and flexibility approximately 8 weeks later (physical therapy 3/wk for 4weeks consistent of pain management flexibility and gait training after completing the first month you will do 2/wk for 4 more weeks strength, flexibility and balance training you will be instructed home program too). You will be able to start riding as soon as you can tolerate standing one leg (the one with injury). NO OFF ROAD yet….

For more info you can call me at 323.939.7050

:)