Trailers... Tucked wheel wells or outside?

I'm looking into trailers to convert into a toy hauler.

Will be buying new.

Thinking 7 foot wide.

Trying to decide wether I want the wheels tucked under the trailer or outside of the trailer like you see most.

Interested in pros and cons of both.

I know that with the wheel wells outside of the trailer, you have uninterupted cargo space and shelving etc is easier to fabricate.

However, I'm thinking the narrower profile of the tucked trailers is more to my liking.... may even be able to go to an 8' wide if necessary.

Other than mentioned above, the only down side I can see to the tucked wheel wells would be backing and possibly visibility of trailer behind you when towing.

I can see potentially that there could be some benefit to towing when you look out your mirror and can see the wheel wells behind you. I've had experience towing too narrow trailers and know that they are a pain to back and pull because you can't see them (especially from an SUV or van... both of which I will be using to pull it with.

Hopefully I'll get some insight from those of you who have pulled both of the wider trailers (7 & 8') with both tucked and untucked wheels.

Thanks,

Eddie

It will depend on how wide the trailer is. Rule of thumb, wheels are outside on trailers up to 7 feet wide. After that, ie 8 ft, or the max 8'6" are tucked. The 8 ft wide ones will hang out about 2". I have a 7X16 tandem and its all outside. Nice polished/brushed aluminum fenders. Looks sweet. And no wheel wells inside. I suppose you can custom order one in 7 feet with wheels tucked, but I wouldnt. There is a max width allowed on public roads and I beleive its 8'6", after that, yuo need a pilot car or something.

i like the floor 8 1/2 wide and above the wheelwell, so there is no wasted space, wide body is the way to go for room.

my tripple axle 40' 5er is set up that way and its great,

most of the 5ers are this way .

Kelstr-

Man, that's a big trailer. I'd be a bag of nerves pulling anything close to that.

Guess the dually (5er?.... oh, 5th wheel... I guess... implies dually maybe) makes things better.

so your trailer is 8'-6" wide with the floor on top of the wheel wells because they have to be tucked I suppose?

so you have some kind of "chase" under your floor for storage and the like? Ends up needing to be a pretty tall trailer to walk in huh?

How's yours set up inside?

Eddie

i like the floor 8 1/2 wide and above the wheelwell, so there is no wasted space, wide body is the way to go for room.

my tripple axle 40' 5er is set up that way and its great,

most of the 5ers are this way .

I sooooooooo want that trailer!!! But that would so max out my half ton empty. ?

I want to throw a rv on the front and use the back for bikes and a jeep. But first I need a dually.

I've had them both ways. 7-foot width and 8-foot. No real diff inside in terms of anything important and shelving was no problem for us. I'd go with the wheels inside in order to keep the trailer just a little narrower. The wider a trailer is, the more hassle to drive, park, navigate.

And get a load-leveling anti-sway trailer hitch so it'll track straight. Well worth it.

Thanks El Marko.

For towing/parking did you like your 7' wide or 8' wide with tucked wheels better?

I'm seriously thinking 7' wide with tucked wheels to keep the profile about the same as my van. That way, I know if I keep my van on the road my trailers gonna be on the road to. Guess the only down side to that would be when I fall asleep behind the wheel, my trailer doesn't give me a wake up call before my van goes in the ditch.

Any thoughts on what length trailers you've had that you liked pulling the best?

Man, I just couldn't go away for the night.

Will be a new van.

Ford econoline E350 with probably the v10 but maybe the diesel.... haven't made up my mind yet.

However, could get pulled sometime with our Yukon that doesn't have the big rear end or the big v8.

Man, I just couldn't go away for the night.

Will be a new van.

Ford econoline E350 with probably the v10 but maybe the diesel.... haven't made up my mind yet.

However, could get pulled sometime with our Yukon that doesn't have the big rear end or the big v8.

I bet the Yukon would still tow a resonable sized trailer handily, even if it had the small V8 or even that new inline 5 cylinder. Whats is it rated for in towing capacity? I'd bet atleast 5000lbs or more. A small V8 can yank a cargo trailer easily. Even loaded with gear and adds like mine. Now as for the Ford, get the Powerstroke. It wont work as hard, be more effeceint and when it comes time if you ever sell it, they flock to diesels. I have a buddy who wanted an Excursion, he was going to get the gas V8 or 10 and 2WD. He asked me my opinion, I told hime to get the 4WD and Powerstroke, wouldnt even consider anythign else. He sure is glad he listend to me. $54,000 later, he owns the diesel Powerstroke 04 Excursion with the Eddie Bauer package and absolutely loves the whole package. And he is the same guy who bought my old 8X14 enclosed trailer. Heck, you dont even feel it behind the rig.

Don't know what the yukons rated at for towing... wife just left with it.

I'm thinking more and more about the diesel in the van.

Only thing is I'm also looking into putting an aftermarket 4 wheel drive kit in it so it's getting expensive.

Ever heard of a Sportsmobile?

Eddie

Don't know what the yukons rated at for towing... wife just left with it.

I'm thinking more and more about the diesel in the van.

Only thing is I'm also looking into putting an aftermarket 4 wheel drive kit in it so it's getting expensive.

Ever heard of a Sportsmobile?

Eddie

Eddie, I've seen 4WD Ford vans, even the newer ones with 4WD. Is this what you are speaking of? Does this "sportmobile", is it a company that does the powertrain conversions and adds 4WD or can you ge tthe vans witht he factory 4WD setup? ?

I just ordered a Pace American Trailer....7x14. The wheels will be tucked so it will be close to the same width as the truck (Ford F350). I did not want it to be too much wider than the truck. I wonder now if that was the way to go?

?

MXJewel.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. From what I'm gathering from others you'll be happy.

What kind of interior height did you end up with?

Any special features you ordered?

Let me know how you like it. I'll be real interested in the visibility of it from your mirrors and how it backs up because of the narrower width.

Eddie

MXJewel.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. From what I'm gathering from others you'll be happy.

What kind of interior height did you end up with?

Any special features you ordered?

Let me know how you like it. I'll be real interested in the visibility of it from your mirrors and how it backs up because of the narrower width.

Eddie

It should be here within two weeks. The trailer is being built in the US and will be delivered to the dealer here in BC. I will let ya know how it is as soon as I have it.

As far as special features......

side door with flush lock and keys

rear ramp door with 2,000 lb cap.

crank open roof vent

2 ceiling lights with a wall switch by the side door

24" aluminum stone guard

6' extra height which takes the inside height to 6' 5"

Also, on the F350, I have the tow package, the mirrors are huge.

As far a enclosed trailer I would opt for a wide body, but I prefer the wheel wells "outside" just so you don't have the humps inside. My toy hauler is 8.5ft wide and the floor is above the wheel wells. Makes loading great. ?

A lot of enclosed trailers now are getting spendy. I might look into a used 18-21" toy hauler just to get everything you want up front. You may end up spending quite a bit more than you anticipated doing a conversion. and I have seen used light weight haulers fully equipped for around $6K if you spend the time to shop around ?