Sign in to follow this  
wickidchikin

KLR 650 carb issues

Hi guys, my boyfriend and I have been trying to get his bike running good for the past couple weeks, but to no avail.

Here's the deal: He got a K & N air filter and a Big Gun full system race series exhaust. It actually ran pretty good with the stock jetting, it just needed a little tweaking, so he also got a dynojet jet kit.

Due to his crazy work hours and general lack of experience with carbs, we felt it was best left up to the professionals to jet his carb. Well when we got it back, it was way too rich and ran like crap anywhere below like 4000 rpms. They said they'd fix it for free, but that they didn't think it would ever run good, so we decided that they were full of it and made the time to do it ourselves.

Well we tried going to only 1 setting richer on the main instead of what they put on it, but it was still too rich across the board. So just for the hell of it, we put the main back to stock. This actually made it run A LOT better, but it was still way too rich at full throttle and a little jumpy at lower rpms.

Next, we took out the needle and moved the clip up one from where they had it, as they had it in I think the 4th position. This made it run pretty good at lower to mid-range, and it was a little better high-end, but still too rich.

We tried richening the needle again for the heck of it, and it suddenly decided to run really crappy. We have since played with the needle and the pilot screw in multiple positions, but nothing is working. Right now, Its either on the 3rd or 4th clip, I'm not really sure anymore, and the pilot is turned about 1 7/8 turns out. The main is stock. The high-end runs more beautifully than the day we got the bike, but anything below, say 3500 rpms is crap. It just sputters and stalls. It idles fine, but any throttle until about 3/4 or more is absolute junk. We looked for any gunk, and there was none, the float doesn't appear to be stuck, we triple checked to make sure everything was put back right, but it still is acting wierd.

Does anyone know what to do? We are completely lost. 🙂🙂

Try cutting 2 wraps off the slide spring. I had the same prob on mine and that took care of it.

I got rid of the CVK and put and Edlebrock on it. Much better carb.

Try cutting 2 wraps off the slide spring. I had the same prob on mine and that took care of it.

Believe me, we would certainly opt for a new carb if we had the $$, but we don't.

If all else fails, I would consider your option, but I just think there must be something other than that which we could do. It ran almost fine stock, but now its running crappy. I just don't get it. 🙂

Tell us about the Edlebrock on your KLR650 ? Do you have any pictures ?

Sincererly,

Tom

Just out of curiosity (as I've done this 🙂 )

Is your needle directly on the slide, or is it on the little white thing that goes over the slide? The reason I ask is because I had the same problem, then I realized I had put the damn thing together wrong. Ran great with only minor tweaking once I had it fixed. Also, try running the bike without the side cover on the airbox. This may make a difference. Your pipe and filter are sucking as much air as the airbox is capable of passing. You may be outdoing the capacity. Consider doing the "L" cut on top of the airbox or taking out the grommet on the airbox inlet. Is your bike a CA model? Also, did the mechs drill the slide hole?

• Like 2

Just out of curiosity (as I've done this 🙂 )

Is your needle directly on the slide, or is it on the little white thing that goes over the slide? The reason I ask is because I had the same problem, then I realized I had put the damn thing together wrong. Ran great with only minor tweaking once I had it fixed. Also, try running the bike without the side cover on the airbox. This may make a difference. Your pipe and filter are sucking as much air as the airbox is capable of passing. You may be outdoing the capacity. Consider doing the "L" cut on top of the airbox or taking out the grommet on the airbox inlet. Is your bike a CA model? Also, did the mechs drill the slide hole?

Its sitting on the little white thing....What is the order that everything is supposed to be in? I wasn't the one who took it apart, so I never got to see its proper order.

No, its not the California model. As far as I was told, they drilled out the slide, but to be honest, I'm not sure how to check. This is my first carb experience. 🙂 What and where am I supposed to be seeing?

Thanks for your advice!

The order is slide, needle, white thing. If it's on top of the white thing, that's your problem.

As far as the slide drilling, do you still have the dynojet kit? See if the drill bit fits in the slide vacuum hole which is off center at the bottom of the slide, NOT THE MIDDLE ONE WHERE THE NEEDLE GOES!!!!

Here's a CVK40 website if you haven't already seen it. Lots of good info.

http://members.aol.com/roundr1/CVK40.html

• Like 1

The order is slide, needle, white thing. If it's on top of the white thing, that's your problem.

As far as the slide drilling, do you still have the dynojet kit? See if the drill bit fits in the slide vacuum hole which is off center at the bottom of the slide, NOT THE MIDDLE ONE WHERE THE NEEDLE GOES!!!!

Hey thanks a lot, I will try to check it out tomorrow and see if that was went wrong! 🙂

Must be the new sparkplug or the fancy 89. 🙂

Hey, now when in thw world did you start perusing the klx/r forums?

STALKER! :D

Muhahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa!!!!! 🙂

Okay, well we poked around the carb for a couple minutes today, but not for too long, it was 90 degrees outside! :D

We looked at the slide and the hole was in fact drilled. 🙂

We tried putting things in the order you told us, but the results are the same. It still does not run well unless you do full throttle.

I have a question. Is the needle collar supposed to be visible when looking into the carb body? Because in diagrams I have seen, it shows it sticking up in the carb a little, but I don't see anything sticking up in ours. Could we have possibly lost it? Would this make a difference?

Naturally, my boyfriend managed to lose the e-clip on the driveway somewhere, so we had to call it quits for today until he picks up a new one... 🙂

Thanks for all your help! :D

If we don;t figure it out soon, we'll have a friend come over who knows Harleys inside and out. He should be able to fix it. :D

Your problem is most likely the needle. If your collar is missing, then your main may sucking fuel through there. Make sure all the parts are installed and in the correct order from the main jet up to the slide. Once you have that done, see if it runs better. Post as to what happens and we can go from there.

• Like 1

Your problem is most likely the needle. If your collar is missing, then your main may sucking fuel through there. Make sure all the parts are installed and in the correct order from the main jet up to the slide. Once you have that done, see if it runs better. Post as to what happens and we can go from there.

Will do, but it'll be a few days until I can get my paws on it again. 🙂

Did you get your carb dialed in?

Not yet. My boyfriend has been working a lot lately and I just got back from vacation. Hopefully we'll be able to get our hands dirty this Friday. 🙂

Earlier KLR's did not have the clip system for the needle (KLX's do) but I am not sure your 04. Most KLR owner's shim the needle with small washers. Be sure you have the correct carb. Running rich is definately not a trait of the KLR; especially at stock jetting. The factory main is #148. With an aftermarket pipe and filter your KLR should run well with a #150 main and between 25 and 75 thousanths inch shim on the needle. Anyway that's my experience. Be sure the carb is properly seated in the intake with no gaps. I have been thinking of buying the FMF Q. Is it as quiet as the stock pipe? What do you think of it overall? Thanks

• Like 1

Earlier KLR's did not have the clip system for the needle (KLX's do) but I am not sure your 04. Most KLR owner's shim the needle with small washers. Be sure you have the correct carb. Running rich is definately not a trait of the KLR; especially at stock jetting. The factory main is #148. With an aftermarket pipe and filter your KLR should run well with a #150 main and between 25 and 75 thousanths inch shim on the needle. Anyway that's my experience. Be sure the carb is properly seated in the intake with no gaps. I have been thinking of buying the FMF Q. Is it as quiet as the stock pipe? What do you think of it overall? Thanks

The KLR650 just finally got fixed for good about a week ago. Gave up and took it to a shop. They put in the stock needle and jets, and just did some shimming and adjusting. Now she rips! :applause:

The FMF Q is a lot louder than stock (stock=80 Db; FMF= 94 Db) but is still quiet enough to safely ride mostly anywhere. I like the sound it puts out. It's enough to hear and enjoy the sound of your motor, but not so loud that you piss everyone off. :banghead:

Did you notice a "lean surge" at freeway speeds? Almost like it acted like it was just starting to run out of fuel? Mine did this with the shimmed needle. I switched to the KLX needle and it solved the problem. The KLX needle is more tapered than the KLR needle.