Any Herniated (Ruptured) Disc out there?

Any one out there riding with severe herniated disc or had surgery?

I am now 36 and in good shape, was diagnosed with a herniated disc at

L4-L5 a few years ago. I was doing great up until a couple weeks ago when I made it worse. I had been doing strength and stretching exercises, that are not working now. Used to be able to walk to help but now that just agrivates it, can't stand for more than a few minutes then my legs go numb and cramp up. Going to the Dr. next week to see what I did now. Already have the MRI and it shows that the disc material is now sticking out more than before. Not sure if I am going to need the surgery or if some other form of therapy may help? I wonder if this McKenzie method would work?

Don't want to sell my bike, hurt my back wakeboarding. ?

That's to bad, I have three bad dics in my neck. I have good days and bad days. Moto always makes it worse, offroad is okay. Don't know much about the treatment you were asking about I would do a search on a Med. website. Good luck, your to young to hang up the leathers.

Barney

I have a partially herniated disc between L-4/L-5 also. But believe it or not it feels better the more I ride. I also do work out when I have time and I try to focus on core ab work to keep the midsection tight and relieve some pressure on the spine. But I have noticed during the long winters here without riding I have a harder time getting out of bed when I have a long time off the bike. I guess I'm just lucky it doesn't bother me and actually helps. My doctor doesn't believe me and said I should quit riding. But what the heck does he know.My body will tell me when it's time. I'm 37 so I don't think I'm to old yet. If you have to have surgery I have heard of a new procedure called a prodisc surgery.They basically remove the old disc and replace it with some sort of polymer disc and they say it is like having a new spine.The surgery looked pretty scary to me though.And like I said the more I ride the it hurts.So I guess i'll ride more ?

I ruptured the disk between L4-L5 in 2000. After 2 years of therapy and denial I went under the knife.

I had a fusion surgery L4 down to S1. It took a full year to recover. At the time I was 32 and very active. After recovery I began to build my strength back up. This has taken me a bit more time, but I'm not as young as was. I'm definetely making progress though. I run and lift everyday.

I feel a thousand times better. No numbness in my legs, no shooting pains, and no excrutiating pain when I bend over. Now it only sometimes aches after a hard day of play or work and sometimes it feels like there's a softball in my lower back. But if I had it do all over again I wouldn't even blink an eye. I would have gotten the surgery a year earlier.

Got double herniation at L4-L-5 and L5-S1. Had multiple cortisone injections before a microdiscectomy.

None of it worked, I gots lots of pain, standing and walking really gave me problems.

I lost 60 lbs, and started working out with everything torso I could think of, and pull-ups.

I'm in line for an artificial disc replacment surgury, going to get that done, I've heard some amazing recovery storys from athletic folks having that proceedure.

For some reason, off-road riding feels comfortable to me, I think its basically the position a bike puts me in. The weight is off the back.

I posted this around December:

I ruptured two disks in late September, had dual level disk surgery (lumbar spine)around Halloween. The Dr. decided on an agressive treatment because a lot of my left leg and foot weren't working. Now, two months later, the pain is gone and I am gaining in strength in my leg every week. The doc has cleared me to xc ski and downhill by spring. I should be ready to ride again by the time the weather breaks here in Colorado. I can't say that surgery is for everyone but it has done wonders for me so far.

Today (6-11)

I seem to be much better (dual level microdiscectomy, l4-l5 l5-s1) By March I was riding as hard as ever.

If your Doc has a good grasp of what is pushing on what, I would reccomend surgery. Conservative therapy seems to just prolong the pain to satisfy the insurance company.

I was down another month after jacking up my knee playing baseball with my kid. After having it scoped and as soon as I could kick my bike over I was riding again.

The riding is easy on my back and not too bad on my knees. I don't thing the doc believes me but the old YZ has much better suspension than my mountain bike.

If your new MRI shows that the nucleus has extruded from the annulus then surgery is really the only good long term answer. Either a microdiscectomy or depending on the amount of degeneration of your spine you may need a fusion. If your doctor recommends a disc replacement, GET ANOTHER OPINION! I have spent the last two years doing Spine research and there is still a lot of unknowns about disc replacements. Right now it is the lastest thing but it is still too new to be a good option on someone who will stress their spine the way a dirtbiker will. I agree that there are some amazing stories about athletes recovering and going back to play sports again but few if any are doing contact sports. And motocross stress the spine more than most contact sports. Also the FDA just approved the artificial disc a few months ago and there are very FEW docs who have done even one let alone enough to be proficient at it. Are you willing to be a crash test dummy? Ask him just one question. Ask him if it fails, how is he going to revise it. If the answer doesn't scare you them by all means have the surgery.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's been over a month now since I re-injured the L5-S1 disc. I am mobil but still have bouts with numbness and scaitica pain in left leg when I walk. I started swimming and stretching last week after about three weeks of P/T. I am going to start increasing my physical training, cardio work, and stretching more and building the strength in my core.

I actually road the dirt bike around yesterday for about 15 minutes in the backyard since it's been a while since it has run. I am feeling positive and feel if I can stick with this training for the rest of my life I can beat this problem. If anyone know's a trainer, doctor, P/T who speacializes with this lower back problem in Houston, Texas let me know. I do not want surgery as the study I have done has not made me confident that I will not have to deal with this problem even if I have surgery. I figure it's going to be good to be fit anyway so might as well try this route then if all else fails then consider the surgery.

My doc told me 15 years ago that I've got a degenerating disc condition.

Basically my 2 lower discs are disolving or wearing out.

Standing on concrete is the worst thing to do as well as lifting anything more than 50 lbs.

Loading my bike on to the truck is tough as well as putting it on my box stand.

I try to ride as much as possible standing up on the pegs with a slight bend in the legs to absorb as many bumps on a track or trail.

By far riding on the track is tiring as well as painful.

I try my best not to fall down so if there'r a high risk jump or tight corner I've got to take it slow. I don't care if I win or where I finish as long as I finish.

Got a new CRF250R this year partially to ensure I've got a bike that starts with just a few kicks. Kicking and kicking is also hard on your back.

I always cary a couple of Tylenol 3's with me and some numbing cream.

I'm now 50 and have been riding pretty steady for past 10 years and hate to give up the fun of riding.

People who think they know it all really annoy those of us who do........

wow, you the man! I have not given up yet, but don't want to ride with numb legs and pain. T need a good P/T in Houston who deals with this problem!!

wow, you the man! I have not given up yet, but don't want to ride with numb legs and pain. T need a good P/T in Houston who deals with this problem!!

Look up Dr. Zoran Cupic, I believe his office is on I-290 North of Beltway 8. ?

F

• 2 weeks later...

I had a herniated and a couple bulging lumbar dics in 1988 and had a laminectomy in March of that year. Thank God, I have been pretty much symptom free since then. My MRI looks like an 80 year old man's but as long as I'm not in pain, I could care less.

Having said that, a neighbor of mine was recently in that same sort of pain. His doctor wanted to operate but he decided to go to a chiropractor first. They did something called Vax-D treatments (or something like that) and he is now pain-free.

I was skeptical since I had been a claims examiner at one time and saw the crooked stuff some of these guys do but, the proof was in seeing him a few weeks later.

Anyway, try whatever you can before you go for surgery. Use that as a last option as the results are sometimes worse than the pre-op symptoms.

Best of luck and God bless!

I also have 3 herniated disk and I believe the worst is L4. The doc wanted to do surgery but I refused. I am getting the epidural shots now. That has made a huge difference.

I have been able to go 7 months on one shot.

You might want to try that and see how that goes.

I am actually due for one next week. I was still able to ride and work my 14 hours a day climbing in and out of a truck.

Good luck with everything, Update us on anything new.