Base gasket oil leak- 02 DR650

I read somewhere cylinder base gasket oil leaks are a common problem. Just got back from a ride to northern BC and Alaska. First day on the road the damn thing starts leaking oil. Never leaked much, just enough to make a mess over 4,500 km. Is there a better than stock gasket available? How big a job to repair this? The bike has 14,500 km now and runs great otherwise.

Sure happy with the Corbin seat and IMS tank I got for this trip. ??

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from a ride to northern BC and Alaska.

lucky!!!!!!!!!

Is there a better than stock gasket available?

not that i know of.

I How big a job to repair this?

same as on any bike. head off, cylinder off, crape, clean, reassemble.

Yes, don't worry, there is a replacement gasket which is made of metal instead of paper, it has tabs on it that stick out the side.

Suzuki fixed this problem either in '04 or '05. I have the '05 model, and it has the newer, upgraded metal gasket, so no leaks.

The job to replace the gasket is, unfortunately, in depth. The cylinder must be removed, and the shop will probably charge a lot for to do it.

But don't worry! There are other fixes besides replacing the gasket. I have read in this forum, that there is some fix where you put some sort of sealer on the leaking area, but I don't remember exactly what. You can do a search in this forum and hopefully find more info on that topic. Good luck with it!

L.L.

It's a common problem and Suzuki will tell say "too bad" ? , my 2001 DR650 with 3500 miles on it started leaking about 3 month's ago and I took it to the shop quickly, they charged me 5 hrs. labor plus the upgraded gasket with the tabs, and other various o-rings and gaskets for putting it back together, the bill came to just under $400.00 ? but I have peace of mind now and a clean engine.

I have a 99 DR650 with 1700 miles on it when I bought it last fall. Drove it to around 2000 and started leaking already. I called suzuki and they quoted me $500.00. I cleaned the area with brake cleaner, and applied GM gasket sealer to the outside (grey in color) and has not leaked yet. I now have 2300 miles on the bike.

Cost: FREE from the neighbor mechanic.

Sure, I would have liked to have done it right. But, $4-500 is not in the budget right now...

My '96 leaked after 9 years but it was not the base gasket....It was the camchain tensioner gasket. A 10 minute fix.!!!!

A friend told me the same thing last yr but I did not believe him...Sorry SGT Mike.

Make sure what is leaking before you pull the motor apart.

BTW, I hear the silicone treatment works.

Good luck

Thanks for the tips. While on the trip i used brakeclean and silicone which worked for a few days and then the leak returned. I'll check the cam chain tensioner too, you could be right. If not I'll leave it alone until winter since the leak is minor. Good winter project I will do myself.

• 2 months later...

I'm so glad I checked here. I have been worried sick about my 01 Dr 650 and now its all clear to me whats happening! Same exact situation. Low miles, no obvious damage, and leaking like a darn sieve. Now I know what to do. Thanks guys! :D Happy trails!

Tim

I have 03 model that I bought in April last year, a month and a half ago the lower base started leaking about the same length of time the warranty coverage had expired. I took her to the local Suzuki dealer in Salmon Arm, didn't get her from them thou, they have been in business for only a couple months now.

Right away they contacted Suzuki, and got a imediate reply to have the problem fixed under warranty :D

Replaced the paper gasket with a new type and after a week of riding in scorching heat :D she is clean and oil tight!

Bravo Suzuki :D

Thats good service from your dealer. Mine told me to get stuffed...lol.. I found the leak to be one small dribble at the rear of the cylinder base gasket, a blob of silicone has sealed it well for the last few months.

To check for the metal gasket if you're not sure yours has it is easy. On the right side-front, and on the left side rear where the head joins there will be a little metal tab that sticks out. It's easy to see. I have heard that a GOOD cleaning and something like JB Weld or similar will, in most cases, take care of the problem, at least for the short term. Like said above, if you're just out of warrenty, Suzuki MIGHT authorize the fix.

Not many pre '03/'04's just out of warrenty anymore I'd bet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I would bitch about these qoutes for $4-500. When my 01 needed it I called 2 dealers for a qoute. Right in the suzuki flat rate manual it has the job as 3.0 hours. The qoutes varied only b/c the hourly rate for the shops was different (one city one country). The parts are cheap so any qoute over $200 is getting over $50 per hour. A $400 quote would mean they are charging you over $100 per hour. My final price with a valve job and rings was $309

• 1 year later...

I have a 96'er with around 30k mls on it. It still has the original gasket and is as dry as eerrrrr something really dry. My previous DR was a 96'er as well. Never leaked a drop. Luckily they don't all leak.

But when they do, replace the gasket. Imho that's the only way to cure it permanently.

Same leak everyone is talking about. Went to PepBoys, spent $6 and solved the problem. Just gunked it on the outside as neatly as possible and no more leak. :ride:

PERMATEX Ultra Grey sensor-safe RTV silicone gasket maker, part 599BR.

Good luck,

Flea

It's baaaaack!:censored: Well the $6.00 repair worked for a while but it's leaking again.

Looks like now it's time to donate money to the repair shop.?

Flea

I have a 96'er with around 30k mls on it. It still has the original gasket and is as dry as eerrrrr something really dry. My previous DR was a 96'er as well. Never leaked a drop. Luckily they don't all leak.

But when they do, replace the gasket. Imho that's the only way to cure it permanently.

Dry as a popcorn fart??

I thought the bad gasket was one of Suzuki's "upgrades" and the older bikes did not have problems. I could be wrong there, but I thought it was on the list of upgrades like making the rack and windscreen useless

• 9 months later...

Anyone in the middle of replacing this themselves? I have a 97'. Rode it from Seattle to Boston and it started leaking on the return trip. Applied a high temp silicon gasket maker to the outside and it held fine. That was in 2001! Last couple years its gotten to the point that I need a real fix. Got the head off, muffler off, and ready to pull the cylinder, but there is this chain (timing or valve chain) I can't figure out how to get out?