Sign in to follow this  

What exactly is scrubbing?

I've heard it used a lot but don't completely understand it. :) Who will define/describe scrubbing as it relates to MX for me?

Thanks, :)

Jeremiah

scrubbing refers to scrubbing speed. when stewart does a "bubba scrub", he is performing his way of scrubbing speed by whipping extremely flat and low off a jump.

it's like, a way of slowing down, maintaining speed right?

Because you are a LOT fast when you're on the ground pinning it then in the air floating. It's not always necessary to get the most air you can. If you went out and raced a friend who let's say, just got his suspension dialed in and feels like a pro, you would probally win him. You'd hit some doubles and mabey some singles but he'd be trying to jump everything to the fullest. Ex. You time yourself pinning it through the whoops, then time your self doubling and tripling the whoops, which is faster? Scrubbing is basically staying low in order to get back down on the gas faster. :) Hope this helps.....

I don't do it but what it looks like RC, Reed and Bubba do is maintain as much speed as possible and scrubb speed by laying the bike over on take off from jumps. Does two things. Gets them to the jump faster and makes them land sooner to put power back on the ground.

Its not really scrubbing speed, if anything, they can go faster through the air, all it does is keep the bike flying lower to the ground, or equally low as a 'normal' jump, but it allows you to carry more speed over it, meaning no need to slow for a jump, and as you land you are allready carrying a little more speed than normal.

It means, if you were to over jump a tt doing say 45mph normally, you could land the jump perfectly doing 45mph by performing the so-called scrub, because suspension rebound doesnt come into effect and make you launch, and the bike is allready low on take off.

I see it as, if you hold your right hand out infront of you, little finger facing down, but fingers held together flat, now rotate your hand around the axis of your thumb, 90 degrees left or right, now, your thumb is equally as low as your little finger (wheels) now. This is how you take off, now imagine rotating back to the starting position during flight, and again, pivoting around the axis of the thumb, the little finger (ie wheels) are now being forced lower than the natural flight path, meaning they will come into cantact with the ground sooner.

Sorry if thats complicated but thats all i could think of top describe it.

Scrubbing is used for more than one reason. It has just as much to do with staying low and flat as it does scrubbing off speed.

On certain sections no one wants to scrub speed. A little less speed is only a byproduct of scrubbing.Scrubbing is employed here to stay low and flat. Then getting back on the ground and on the gas again.

On rythm sections scrubbing is used to scrub speed and set yourself up.

On big jumps/tables with a corner or other obstacle right after one uses scrubbing to scrub off speed. This is so one isnt going too fast and make a mistake on the corner or obstacle.

Scrubbing is usually set up before the face of the jump and is employed on the face.

BY learning to scrub one can hold the bike pinned all they way up the face of a jump then flick the bike(scrub). What this does is allow a rider to expell some of the rebound/energy the suspension is about to release. Then the rider can hit the jump with much more speed and be back on the ground faster. If this is done correctly one can even go faster through the air than he would without scrubbing.

It started out as scrubbing off speed. Then it got more meaning. Now its about who can drag their footpegs off the face of a jump.

Thanks for all your input, gentlemen (and any ladies). You've confirmed what I thought...it's just nice to hear it confirmed. What I didn't know is that it is also to stay low to the ground. I always just thought it was to slow down as to not overjump an obstacle.

Thanks again.

rc876 gave the perfect definition

NO way!!!! I guess its because I visit other forums. Like the race track. Thanks for your comment Superduper.

I believe it was in 2002 that we were at a racetrack somewhere in the US. 47 weekends. That wasnt including many many times every week.

I remember the few weeks after the Bubba scrub was originated. It went through Florida like one of those storms last year.

I have video from gatorback showing the long launches at the finish line year after year. There was even a pic in motocross action that became famous of a rider back in the day launching over 30' in the air and landing close to the finish line. Probally close to 200'(just a guess).

Then I have a video of bubba a few years ago hitting the same jump pinned on a 250 and landing about 1' from the edge.

Just when we think that it just takes alot of training and hard work to get where you want. Bubba redifines the sport.