I'm just wondering what everyone uses for oil filters. When I changed oil on my Ram recently I put one on from the Dodge dealer like was on it before. In my Accord I have been using Fram filters for a few changes but when I changed it recently I put a K&N on it as I liked the idea of the nut on the end but the darn thing was $12 instead of the $4-6 the Fram ones were. Is there a big difference other than the brand name? I have heard of guys using S-2000 filters in Accords also and like them better but I didn't do that. Just wondering what everyone used and thought the best was.

I use a Motorcraft on our Explorer and F-150, and use a Fram on our 3000GT. I think filters are filters.....if you change your oil every 3,000 miles you should be okay with any name brand. ?

All filters are the same except for the really cheap ones, like super tech.

Sure some have fancy features like a nut on the end, or a griping surface, better back-flow valves. But the filtering element is the exact same.

I learned alot about filters after buying a diesel and hanging out on a diesel bulletin board for a while.

1. FRAMs are really cheap - don't waste your money.

2. Baldwin makes great filters - NAPA filters are made by baldwin.

3. The new Mobil-1 filter is really, really good and not just hype - 100% synthetic media.

4. For the chevy - AC Delco is really good stuff (both air filter and oil filter).

Given the above, my chevy duramax gets AC Delco air and oil filters. If I can't find an AC Delco - I usually hit the local NAPA auto parts store.

- jeff

Oregon_Rider has it right. I've cut apart every different brand of filter I've used and reached the same conclusion.

Frams are junk. If you have an 80's Nissan, using fram can cook your camshaft (believe me, I know!) because the Nissan filter has a check valve so the upside down filter doesn't empty when you turn the engine off. The fram, after a while, lets all the oil drain out and your camshaft runs dry for a while when you start up.

The Delco and Wix filters are the best commonly available filters I've dissected.

Also, if you have an S10 V6, the 52 (bigger) will fit instead of the 47 (49?) that most books list. Same price, more filter media. ?

Ok Thanks for all your help how are the K&N filters or are they basically the same as Frams? Should I continue to run the Dodge filter from the dealer on my truck or should I change it to a Napa or something similar filter next time around? On my Accord I have the K&N now but don't know if I want to pay that much next time but I may if they are good filters.

Purolater (?) filters only.

Check out bobistheoilguy.com for a link to a realllly (I mean really) in depth oil filter test. Some one rigged up a flow test setup for both cold (cold startup) and hot, examined the filter media, filter constuction, came up with pore size of the media, etc.

hometheater, you're wasting your money buying a Mopar filter. It is just a Champion filter painted black with Mopar on it. You could save money by buying a Champion filter. It is the exact same.

A filter is not a filter. Each has different frainback features, different filtering (just like a dirtbike filter, a brass doesn't filter better than a paper. In a car, a fram doesnt filter as good as a Mobil 1) and of course the ends of the filter.

Fram have cardboard ends. This is the same cardboard that is on the end of a legal pad. They usually don't hold up from the oil pressure spikes int he morning. Don't get a fram! You're wasting your money!!!

Mobil1 has a synthetic media, a larger surface area, and a nice drainback feature. Second best to Amsoil.

Do a search on oil filters. there's some people out there that cut them open and see what's inside. You'll be surprised on who makes who.

Oregon, the Napa Gold's are nice filters. These are WIX filters.

A filter isn't just a filter. It's like your dirtbikes filter, just for a car. You can have a filter that filters out better, more surface area.......

Just do a search on google guys. You'll be surprised.

Ok Thanks for all your help how are the K&N filters or are they basically the same as Frams? Should I continue to run the Dodge filter from the dealer on my truck or should I change it to a Napa or something similar filter next time around? On my Accord I have the K&N now but don't know if I want to pay that much next time but I may if they are good filters.

The K&N and the mobil-1 are made by champion labs for these two companies. If champion labs also makes the mopar filter - then it might be there less expensive e-core design.

For the best bang for the buck I would go napa gold , wix or baldwin. The K&N is probably fine - Me, I don't think alot of K & N and would shy away from them -> I would imagine it is not worth what they are charging for it...

- jeff

hometheater, you're wasting your money buying a Mopar filter. It is just a Champion filter painted black with Mopar on it. You could save money by buying a Champion filter. It is the exact same.

I just needed a filter quickly and needed a cap for a vent hose also so went in and the filter was only like $6 bucks maybe $7 so I just bought it but I may check out others next time I change it.

The K&N and the mobil-1 are made by champion labs for these two companies. If champion labs also makes the mopar filter - then it might be there less expensive e-core design.

For the best bang for the buck I would go napa gold , wix or baldwin. The K&N is probably fine - Me, I don't think alot of K & N and would shy away from them -> I would imagine it is not worth what they are charging for it...

- jeff

The Mobil1 filters better and is cheaper. Go figure.

I learned alot about filters after buying a diesel and hanging out on a diesel bulletin board for a while.

1. FRAMs are really cheap - don't waste your money.

2. Baldwin makes great filters - NAPA filters are made by baldwin.

3. The new Mobil-1 filter is really, really good and not just hype - 100% synthetic media.

4. For the chevy - AC Delco is really good stuff (both air filter and oil filter).

Given the above, my chevy duramax gets AC Delco air and oil filters. If I can't find an AC Delco - I usually hit the local NAPA auto parts store.

- jeff

I agree on all counts. I run AC filters on all my chevys.

Avoid Fram on any car you actually like, they tend to disentigrate and fill your motor with chunks of paper.

Mobil 1 makes good filters but they're overpriced for daily driven cars... I might consider running them on a race car but not a DD.

this is such a good discussion,

you would not believe how bad some of these filters have gotten over the years,

the frame is just sad, like has been said ,

the a/c delco stuff , and or the wix stuff (napa gold ) are still good quality filters, i only use a/c delco just like cowboy does

on some of the jap cars you have to be very carfull with these aftermarket filters also,

you are better off using the factory stuff on Toyota and Honda until you really research whats going on with these things,

you can hurt a motor ( timing chain and hydraulic foot adjuster , bent valve issue )) on some of these.

it is sad that every thing out there is dam near junk ,----good god we have to research everthing . ?