Sign in to follow this  

Any one use WD40 on their chain??

Hi boys i was just wondering what everyone has been using on their chain for lubercant and i was wondering if WD40 is good. Currently i am useing 10w40 motor oil and that is what the manual calls for but when i go for a 10 minute ride the oil is sent off the chain all over my nice Excel rims. So if you could give me a cheap and clean chain lube that would be great.

Thanks boys

Hi boys i was just wondering what everyone has been using on their chain for lubercant and i was wondering if WD40 is good. Currently i am useing 10w40 motor oil and that is what the manual calls for but when i go for a 10 minute ride the oil is sent off the chain all over my nice Excel rims. So if you could give me a cheap and clean chain lube that would be great.

Thanks boys

Yes I do after washing the bike, I spray it all with WD40. The chain as well after drying it with a cloth. Usually if I go riding, I will go for a warm up lap get the chain warm and then spray it with Chain lube and wait for it to soak in then ride. If I know I won't be washing the bike, I spray it with chain lube after the ride for storage(a week or so).

I hope this helps. :)

any one eles use wd40 on their chain

I use it on my streetbikes and my dirt bike.

They never get wet though, just dusty.

I use it religiously. After simple greening the entire bike, I hose most metal parts down with it with an emphasis on the chain. Chain still looks beautiful after year and 1/2. I haven't used anything but WD40.

I use it right after I wash my bike/chain, it displaces the water and prevents rust :):)

Don't use WD40 as a chain lube. It actually causes your chain to run hotter. It would be better to run nothing on your chain as opposed to WD40.

I agree with the previous post. I have heard that WD40 is not good to use as chain lube. I use a chain wax, as a side effect I have to clean it pretty regularly.

I use WD40 on my chain after I wash it and after a muddy or wet ride. This keeps the chain from rusting. O-ring chains don't really need chain lube. But non o-ring do. I use Dumond Tech when I use chain lube. It doesn't clog up with dust and mud. I personally think it's the best chain lube on the market. :)

Don't use WD40 as a chain lube. It actually causes your chain to run hotter. It would be better to run nothing on your chain as opposed to WD40.

How does WD40 make your chain hotter than no lube???

I love how people continuously say they "heard" this or that but don't listen to the countless number of us that use it ONLY religiously on our o-ring chains with absolutely no issues. I've got 3 years on my current chain and sprocket combo on my CRF450...

How does WD40 make your chain hotter than no lube???

I was wondering the same thing. :)

I use it all the time after I wash my bike, keeps the chain looking new and keeps the rust away.

I was wondering the same thing. :)

I use it all the time after I wash my bike, keeps the chain looking new and keeps the rust away.

Yep...me too!.

i only use wd/40 on all 4 of my bikes chains. After a wash i spray the chain, wheel bearings and forks to displace any water. Then spray the chain before a ride. NO PROBLEMS!!!!! :)

We use AMSOIL Metal Protector right after a washing...then lube it with AMSOIL Heavy Duty Metal Protector for a long lasting lubrication. WD-40 is a very light lubricant and will not protect the chain/sprocket for very long. Plus it flings off and makes a mess of things. It's not bad for a water dispersant though.

how can less friction(with wd40) make more heat than higher friction(no wd40). sure chain lube is better but your chain shouldn't run hotter with wd40.

. WD-40 is a very light lubricant and will not protect the chain/sprocket for very long.

LOL, once again. Let me repeat along with EVERYONE else... 3 years and going on this current setup. That's D37 racing, trails, baja, etc. Well over 200 hours.

I heard someone say that if you sprayed WD-40 on your chain, it could cause your gear shift to fall off.

It works fine. My dad just applys a healthy coat before each ride