Sign in to follow this  

Any Recommendations on lubing the chain

I just tried to lube my chain and I am not sure if I did it right. I used something called a "Grunge Brush" and the included cleaning solution to clean the chain up then I sprayed it with "Blue Label" lube. How do I know if I did it right? Any advice. Thanks everyone.

Assuming you have an o-ring chain, just spray the lube on the inside of the rollers where they mesh with the sprockets, one complete revolution of the chain and you're done.

WD-40 :)

All you really need to do is clean the chain and apply some kind of lube to keep it from rusting. The grunge brush works fine. The O ring (or X ring) chains have lube in them. You should have an O ring on your DRZ.

When I really want my chain clean I remove it from the bike. I have an old clock motor mounted on plywood that I mounted a countersprocket to. I hang the clock motor over a bucket of kerosene. Hang the chain on the countersprocket and plug the motor in. I rotates the chain very slowly through the kerosene. Gives it time to soak off the dirt and grime. I let it run for two hours and then the chain looks like new.

I've always wondered if cleaning o-ring chains with solvents is such a good idea...

Is there not a concern that soaking in solvent will penetrate the o-rings and gradually break down and reduce the internal lubricant?

Always wondered that myself, but I still use kerosene (and a grunge brush) to clean my chain.

I use a rag soaked in kerosene to get the grunge off. Wipe dry with another rag. Take it for a short ride to warm the chain up and throw off any excess kerosene, then apply lube. Works for me.

The way i do it is I put my honey up on a stand, start it up, put it in first gear, as the the chain is going around I spray brake parts cleaner on it. Then I apply the grunge brush then more cleaner then wipe it down with a rag then my blue label lube. works good but I'm not sure what that cleaner does to my orings. prolly not good for it. :)

The way i do it is I put my honey up on a stand, start it up, put it in first gear, as the the chain is going around I spray brake parts cleaner on it. Then I apply the grunge brush then more cleaner then wipe it down with a rag then my blue label lube. works good but I'm not sure what that cleaner does to my orings. prolly not good for it. :)

You wipe a moving chain down with a rag!!!!:)

How many fingers have you got left ??????

Neil.

The way i do it is I put my honey up on a stand, start it up, put it in first gear, as the the chain is going around I spray brake parts cleaner on it. Then I apply the grunge brush then more cleaner then wipe it down with a rag then my blue label lube.
:)

You are f*cking crazy.

Read this (graphic, be warned) -> LINK

Yummy. I was thinking it was a bad idea, but now that I have seen that. Yuck. I wasn't going to do that way because I would be afraid my bike would fall off and break something. Wouldn't want to hurt my baby.

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I am always afraid of doing things to my bike. I don't want to screw it up.

HOLY CRAP

I tilt my bike, put it in 1st gear, and spray it. I have never thought of touching a moving chain. Heck I even tuck my shoe laces in if I ever wear sneakers when riding.

:)

You are f*cking crazy.

Read this (graphic, be warned) -> LINK

SGT,

I could not have put it better if I tried (again), and the bloke in your link was very lucky, not much more than a minor scratch. It gets much worse when you loose 2 or 3 whole fingers,or worse still when a lump of hand goes with it. Do you think drzridertony deserves an honorary Darwin Award. A FOOL and his FINGERS are easily PARTED.

Neil.

finally a pic i can show my son, of how dangerous the chain can be. as he has approached me a few times as to lubing the chain, faster this way. i have always told him the possible dangers of a moving chain, and sprocket. the pictures are a perfect eye opener for him. :)

:) simplegreen: grunge brush,rags and a nice pan to soak in. stock drz have no masterliink. rather then mess with it I cleaned mine on the fly.

Do not use chemicals as they eat the O-rings.mannual says that kerosene is acceptable. Oil with heavy lube.Squirt and roll,if after you ride it you have oil all over your fender well and case you have enough.keep lubed and dirt out of your chain, clean regularly.

RT, Simple Green is a great product for general purpose cleaning of your bike. I typically hose the machine down first so as to dilute the SG when I spray it on.

Neil, DARWIN AWARD indeed! :)

I use a gruge brush then wash it in kerosene let dry, shoot with WD-40, let that dry then shoot some Belray chain lube. I've done it like this since Belray came out in a spray can. prairiedawg :)