Sign in to follow this  

3 feet deeper - late night ramble - Scream

wow, scream.

thats alot of reading and alot of good info. im hoping to due track days in the not too distant future and will surely use this info!!

-thanks!:thumbsup:

Great post.

I agree about the 3 foot theory.

I'm stuck at a 105.4 lap time at my local track, I’ve been doing these times for two years. I can do them consistently, and feel pretty comfortable, but this year a guy showed up doing 104.5's!!!!! That is darn fast at our track where the fast 600 guys are doing minute flats.

I've been trying to go in deeper in a couple places but find my times the same. I think what’s happening is I’m slowing later, but more which gives me the same times.

I'm going to start working on getting in deeper, and carrying more corner speed, hopefully this will help.

Again great post.

Great post.

I agree about the 3 foot theory.

I'm stuck at a 105.4 lap time at my local track, I’ve been doing these times for two years. I can do them consistently, and feel pretty comfortable, but this year a guy showed up doing 104.5's!!!!! That is darn fast at our track where the fast 600 guys are doing minute flats.

I've been trying to go in deeper in a couple places but find my times the same. I think what’s happening is I’m slowing later, but more which gives me the same times.

I'm going to start working on getting in deeper, and carrying more corner speed, hopefully this will help.

Again great post.

Heya Ronin,

I think what I find after watching hours of video that I have captured over the last few years is is EXACTLY what you have described with one caveat.

It seems like the faster guys are definitely going 3 feet deeper, but they are also carrying more entry speed and the only thing I can see when I slow some of this footage down is how much more sideways they are actually getting which in turn lets them scrub speed faster.

I would think if you can go deeper along with the added entry speed you will have to get the rear end hung out there more to scrub that speed enough to make the apex, and in turn get on the power sooner.

It also appears that getting back on the power earlier than you are now is equally as important.

It also appears that getting back on the power earlier than you are now is equally as important.

I completely agree. This is what I tell the other guys stuck in the 106-107 range. I am definitely getting on the gas much sooner than these guys, but I need to get on it sooner yet.

It's amazing how soon you can get on the gas on a sumo, sometimes I’m accelerating through the apex leading me to believe I’m not getting in hot enough. So I'm going to try to get in much hotter, scrub with the rear and get on it as soon as possible.......easier typed than achieved....

Thanks for the tips man, keep em coming.

Just stumbled on to this thread. You asked for opinions....and I'm gonna get a fat lip for this. I've seen guys spend every last cent on there 1/4 mile cars to eak out another 1/10 while the kids go barefoot. Like crack (the drug or the clam) they couldnt get enough. And it's never enough for some. Be carefull what you wish for. Just sayin...

Just stumbled on to this thread. You asked for opinions....and I'm gonna get a fat lip for this. I've seen guys spend every last cent on there 1/4 mile cars to eak out another 1/10 while the kids go barefoot. Like crack (the drug or the clam) they couldnt get enough. And it's never enough for some. Be carefull what you wish for. Just sayin...

Heya Berni,

There is a big part of what this thread was initially about when I wrote it and that was that you did NOT need to go out and spend tons of money right up front.

What I found when I first got into supermoto was that I felt like I needed the latest greatest widget to help me go faster when in reality I needed to understand the limits of what I already had.

If you re read the entire post you will find that my advice is to spend the time required to determine what the limits of your bike is the way it sits right now, and by doing the drills and making the changes you will identify where you need to spend money to take it to the next level.

After all, if you don't know what happens when you drop the forks in the triples by 5mm then how in the world can you convey to the suspension technician what exactly it is you are looking for?

In the end you will spend $700.00 on suspension mods only to be worse off than you were to begin with.

Simply put, you can take stock suspension and stiffen it up enough for supermoto just by using heavier weight fork oil than comes stock from the factory, is it the best you can do? probably not, but if your front end dives too much on turn entry and your bike is pogo'ing... it will get you in the ball park and put you closer to the limits of your ability at that point in time......especially if you have never ridden a bike with slicks on pavement before in your life.

Draining and replacing fork oil you can do in your garage with minimal tools and about $25.00 in fluids.....Kids still get shoes, and you can still afford a new crack pipe if thats your deal.

Mr. Scream, I appreciate you're response. Actually, the drag racer spending every last cent was just an analogy. Like how much tunnel vision do you need to beat the next guy and how important is it to you. In this sport the price might not be in dollars but in life and limb. Race bike set up involves seemingly infinite variables, how much mid night oil are you willing to burn. Remember, there is only one winner and everybody else is climing all over everybody else to claw there way to the front. Some people pay a high price for that and for what pay off? If everybody picks up there game through some great advice, isnt everybody back where they started at? Where does it end? This is something I probably shouldnt post on a racer forum but I just couldnt help myself. I expect to get beat up for this. Have a good one.

I dont think you will get beat up for this, this is after all an open forum where we all share our experience openly.

I know people who fit the analogy you laid out, and people at the other end of the spectrum.

I used to spend a lot of money when I road raced and spent a lot of money to race supermoto as well, but I have not raced for almost a year because I made a commitment to my family and to myself to put them and our house and my kids future first, all I can really do is try to give away what I learned over the decades.

I love the sport, I still ride several times a week on average, but I cannot seem to let go of the competition aspect of it, I feel as if I am confirming the fact that I am old now and quite a bit slower than I used to be and soon to be relegated to the scrap heap of two wheeled competition unless I keep my finger on the pulse of the sport itself.

I just hope that someone who needs a little guidance from someone who has been there will read some of my posts and get something from it/them.

At least that way I can stay plugged in for however much longer I am allowed to do so. :thumbsup:

Um..........we race for a couple reasons. Fun is a major one......and so is winning, or competing depending on your priorities.

If you're not competitive, cool have fun riding the way you do. If you want to progress and get better/faster you'll need to do some things as TeamScream has outlined.

Obviously you're having a good time at your current skill level/speed, awesome. I on the other hand am ALWAYS trying to improve and get quicker. When someone shows up and beats me its motivation to step it up....

O.K. nobodies beating me up yet. I guess I'm not trying hard enough. To me, racing, any kind of racing is just going around in circles...weeee....boy are we having fun and I also get to tie my self worth to my finishing position. Or I'd better come up with some damn good excuses. Ya, when somebody shows up and beats me I'll have to kick it up a notch. Newsflash: somebody is always faster. I've done my racing (MX) and had a few shiny moments. But there's always that gnawing feeling...I went through the same soul searching as Scream describes in the last post...the withdrawl symptons...the yearning for one more kick at the can...the realization that I'm on the decline. You know what? thats life. The stick and ball crowd go thru the same thing. I know a guy who still talks high school football 1966. Damn proud of it too. All I'm saying is mind the tunnel vision, life has a lot more to offer than going 'round and 'round. Sorry about the downer.