Sign in to follow this  

Honda Ridgeline

Who has one?

I've been looking at replacing my 01' Tundra Access cab 4WD with one. I like the Honda for it's bigger back seat and the trunk in the bed is very cool. The leather interior is nice and the truck rides and drives like an upscale sedan. Because they just came out, the dealers aren't coming down on the price much and I'm having a hard time justifying $33k for a Honda truck.

What does everyone else think about these vehicles?? :)

I haven't looked at them too hard.... but I would say unless you're dead set on getting the newest thing out there.... wait a year or two and let them work out the bugs and what not... I got a Nissan Frontier Crew Cab the year they came out and got to see them jsut improve and improve each year.... if I would've waited a year or so I could've got a lot better truck for the money....

That said hey man it's your truck.... get what you want.... :):)

I haven't looked at them too hard.... but I would say unless you're dead set on getting the newest thing out there.... wait a year or two and let them work out the bugs and what not... I got a Nissan Frontier Crew Cab the year they came out and got to see them jsut improve and improve each year.... if I would've waited a year or so I could've got a lot better truck for the money....

That said hey man it's your truck.... get what you want.... :):)

I agree 100% you never want to buy a first year model of anything. You just end up being the guinea pig. My dad bought a '99 Mustang Cobra, a first for the independant rear suspension, and a completely new body design, he has had nothing but problems with it, 3-4 recalls and now something is going on with the interiors of the engine. Patience is a virtue, wait a year or two.

I agree 100% you never want to buy a first year model of anything. You just end up being the guinea pig. My dad bought a '99 Mustang Cobra, a first for the independant rear suspension, and a completely new body design, he has had nothing but problems with it, 3-4 recalls and now something is going on with the interiors of the engine. Patience is a virtue, wait a year or two.

Yep, first or second year of anything new is usually a basketcase, I like buying the LAST of a bodystyle rather than the first.

Yep, first or second year of anything new is usually a basketcase, I like buying the LAST of a bodystyle rather than the first.

My experience in the auto industry is it's best to buy second or third year models. The first year is problem finding time, second year is working them out. In the mid of the second year comes the big cost cutting time, just about every part is getting cut in cost by at least 5% per year. To cut costs, all parts are "refined". By years 4 and 5 lots of corners have been cheapened, and many of the original tools are on their last legs tolerance wise. End result is less quality, in my opinion.

My experience in the auto industry is it's best to buy second or third year models. The first year is problem finding time, second year is working them out. In the mid of the second year comes the big cost cutting time, just about every part is getting cut in cost by at least 5% per year. To cut costs, all parts are "refined". By years 4 and 5 lots of corners have been cheapened, and many of the original tools are on their last legs tolerance wise. End result is less quality, in my opinion.

Yeah I guess that makes sense, although In many cases I dont think cutting cost nessesarily means cutting quality, sometimes they just figure out cheaper ways to make things.

I've had good luck with last or nearly last year body styles of several cars. Stuff just seems to fit together better.

Yeah I guess that makes sense, although In many cases I dont think cutting cost nessesarily means cutting quality, sometimes they just figure out cheaper ways to make things.

I've had good luck with last or nearly last year body styles of several cars. Stuff just seems to fit together better.

I think exactly in this area is where the Japanese excel, and the others are overly controlled by bonus-driven purchasing departments that only care about $ and are not motivated by quality. The Japanese really dig deep into any and all changes, unfortunately I can't say that's the same for all makers. At most of the makers it's 5% a year I don't care where it comes from.

I think exactly in this area is where the Japanese excel, and the others are overly controlled by bonus-driven purchasing departments that only care about $ and are not motivated by quality. The Japanese really dig deep into any and all changes, unfortunately I can't say that's the same for all makers. At most of the makers it's 5% a year I don't care where it comes from.

theres crap japanese brands (mitsubishi, mazda, nissan until just recently ect) just like theres crap american and european brands, I dont think any one country has a monopoly on quality. Not all Japanese cars are built like toyotas and not all american cars are built like chevys (2 companys who do focus on quality)

theres crap japanese brands (mitsubishi, mazda, nissan until just recently ect) just like theres crap american and european brands, I dont think any one country has a monopoly on quality. Not all Japanese cars are built like toyotas and not all american cars are built like chevys (2 companys who do focus on quality)

Agreed. But the Japanese manage change better, they dig deeper, and they are not run by their Purchasing departments, they are run by engineers in cooperation with their Purchasing departments.

Not all Japanese cars are built like toyotas and not all american cars are built like chevys (2 companys who do focus on quality)

I can't help it Chevy_Cowboy.:) How in the world can you compare Chevy to Toyota?

Looked at the TSB's lately on Chevy's?

I can't help it Chevy_Cowboy.:) How in the world can you compare Chevy to Toyota?

Looked at the TSB's lately on Chevy's?

because they're the best 2 automakers in the world, have you seen the quality surveys lately?

One in particular had 5 GMs, and 5 toyotas in the top 10 :)

because they're the best 2 automakers in the world, have you seen the quality surveys lately?

One in particular had 5 GMs, and 5 toyotas in the top 10

I totally agree on the initial quality surveys. GM products are scoring quite well.

This does not negate the fact of the massive recalls suffered by GM and the remarkable number of continuing problems that the vehicles suffer after the first few years of ownership.

Regardless of all other factors though, GM is continuing to lose market share.

All companies that lose market share have certain factors in common.

1. Non competitive pricing: This is not a factor for GM so this can be ruled out. GM cars are priced fairly.

2. Loss of market appeal: No doubt about this one. The competition has been much more nimble in bringing innovative new products to market.

3. Quality issues: Once again GM has scored very poorly on this. The newer vehicles are much better but GM has burned a lot of their customers. They will not buy again.

4. Poor customer handling: Virtually all of the domestic manufacturers have been remarkably guilty of this. To GM's credit their handling of the Saturn division concerning customers was a brilliant move. They should have done this for all the divisions, not just Saturn. It may very well have made a great difference.

5. Lose of confidence in the product: I am going through this right now with a major telephone equipment manufacturer. The mismanagement of the company has put them in financial peril. My company and one of my friendly competitors purchase almost 3% of their product between us. We have both dropped their products because of fears of future warranty and service obligations. Needless to say the manufacturer is very upset with both of us. I don't care, my customers are important to me and I can't risk it. This happens to consumers also. If they feel that a company might not be able to take care of their purchase they may look elsewhere.

Contrary to what you may think I'm deeply saddened by this. American workers are losing jobs and another US icon may very well bite the dust. At least Toyota, Subaru, Nissan, Hyundia, etc realize that American workers are very good and are building plants here in the US. The Japanese manufacturers are even exporting vehicles from the US back to Japan.

Americans do not react to problems until it becomes a crisis. None of this has risen to that level yet. GM may or may not survive. Chrysler was in this position a few years ago and they are starting to get their act back together.

Now it is GM's turn. They will either live or die. In the long run it doesn't make any difference.

I think it looks RETARTED! You can't even close the tailgaite with the bikes in it sideways! The only cool part is you can have a HONDA bike in a HONDA truck. Otherwise...not cool.

Who has one?

I've been looking at replacing my 01' Tundra Access cab 4WD with one. I like the Honda for it's bigger back seat and the trunk in the bed is very cool. The leather interior is nice and the truck rides and drives like an upscale sedan. Because they just came out, the dealers aren't coming down on the price much and I'm having a hard time justifying $33k for a Honda truck.

What does everyone else think about these vehicles?? :)

So in reality you want a car. Tell me something, how are you gonna get a bike in the bed? It is as pointless as a ford sport-trac. You enjoy your new CAR.

So in reality you want a car. Tell me something, how are you gonna get a bike in the bed? It is as pointless as a ford sport-trac. You enjoy your new CAR.

Thats what I was thinking. Whats with all these foreign company truck wannabe's lately? If you want a truck, get a real truck! I wouldn't want luxury in my truck when I'm going to be getting it all muddy both inside and out. :)

Plus they are UGLY.

But I guess thats just my opinion. If you want it, go for it.

I really dont see the reason in debating this in multiple threads at once, you're never gonna get your head out of the sand on this issue anyway.

You claim to be "deeply saddened" by GM's downward slide, yet you never miss a chance to throw them an anchor so they sink faster. Sure looks like you're getting a kick out of watching them drown in their unions to me. :)

Keep buying your foreign cars, keep rootin for america's industrys to fail, I'm sure not gonna change your mind. :)

For what it is, I guess the ridgeline is a decent "thing". I say thing because its based off of the Honda Pilot (built off of a streched accord platform I think). For something with a V-6 it gets terrible gas mileage 16 city, 21 highway. If I am not mistaken a extended cab Chevy Silverado with the 4.8 liter V-8 gets 15 city and 20 highway and can tow more, accelerate faster while getting the same kind of mileage and IMO looks better than the Ridgeline!!!

I really dont see the reason in debating this in multiple threads at once, you're never gonna get your head out of the sand on this issue anyway.

You claim to be "deeply saddened" by GM's downward slide, yet you never miss a chance to throw them an anchor so they sink faster. Sure looks like you're getting a kick out of watching them drown in their unions to me. :)

Keep buying your foreign cars, keep rootin for america's industrys to fail, I'm sure not gonna change your mind. :D

I bet I buy more American vehicles in 2 years than you will in your life, even though there almost isn't such a thing any more.

I also KNOW I pay my employees more than union scale and provide full benefits. In return they actually work and do an excellent job.

I "throw an anchor so they sink faster". I think not. My list of GM vehicles is currently 19 including 3 2005 Silverados, a 2005 Escalade and a 2004 diesel 3500HD. I also have purchased 2 2005 Dakotas and a 2005 Marquis. Also I'm getting ready to purchase 2 GM box trucks. You claim I don't do my part. :)

Yes I do sometimes "get a kick out of watching them drown". How can intelligent men allow themselves to get in this position? GM is demonstrating a business model that is impossible to sustain. If they collapse it will be studied in business schools across the country as "what not to do".

This isn't a debate. You Can't defend the indefensible.

ps: I have no animosity here. :D

I spend well over $30k a month on vehicles and expenses out of MY pocket. This tends to give you a good picture of what works and what doesn't.